Clarence Thompson's whereabouts

rwm70c

Just happened to run across a brief blurb on Clarence Thompson.  If I remember correctly, Clarence played 1 year when Tutt and Green were freshmen.  Would have been an incredible team had he stayed on (not to say that it wasn't anyways)  :-D 

Excerpt:

There have been other changes. Coach Clarence Thompson resigned from the team two weeks ago due to health issues.

Thompson, a standout at Oral Roberts who once played for the semi-pro Morris Revolution, suffered debilitating injuries on Oct. 13, 2004 when he was struck by a truck while trying to help a stranded motorist on Exit 13 of the New Jersey Turnpike. He was in a coma for 16 days and had 11 surgeries. He has been working hard to recover over the last three years but he has also suffered setbacks, too.

"I have to have another (back) surgery," Thompson said. "It hurts me to go through it. I'm done for the year. I've got to have surgery and then I've got three months of therapy in front of me."

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080213/SPORTS/802130367/1126/SPORTS10

Nice find, though, rwm70c.  I don't remember Thompson - according to the media guide he played 1988-90.  I was around those years, but not really tuned in to the basketball program that much.  So Thompson never hit my radar.  But, it looks like he scored 1133 points in his ORU career, averaging over 16 points and 6 rebounds per game.  Not too shabby . . .

He was a deep range 3 bomber with a quick release.  I'm sure he could do other things, but that is what stands out in my mind.

He was a deep range 3 bomber with a quick release.  I'm sure he could do other things, but that is what stands out in my mind.

That, and he had a sweet 'stache, bro.  But I guess we all tryed to grow one when we got to college...

That, and he had a sweet 'stache, bro.  But I guess we all tryed to grow one when we got to college...

I think that was pretty much just you.  Now beards during breaks are another matter.

My mistake - Clarence was on the Trickey teams along with Greg Sutton and Haywoode Workman.  I was thinking of Cameron Tragardh.  Just in case anyone is curious, Cameron is apparently still playing in the Australian basketball leagues for the Wolllogong Hawks.  Looks like he's having a good year.

http://www.nblstats.com/players.php?playerid=11152

My mistake - Clarence was on the Trickey teams along with Greg Sutton and Haywoode Workman.  I was thinking of Cameron Tragardh.  Just in case anyone is curious, Cameron is apparently still playing in the Australian basketball leagues for the Wolllogong Hawks.   Looks like he's having a good year.

http://www.nblstats.com/players.php?playerid=11152

Haywoode was inherited by Trickey as it was Ted Owens that found him at Winston-Salem College in NC and recruited him to ORU for Ted's last year at the helm (Haywoode sat out the 1986-87 season and played in Ted's second year as head coach).  Haywoode played on that infamous 1987 team that lost to Memphis State in the last 14 seconds when ORU was up by 7 points.  The 1988-89 team (Haywoode's senior season) had several good players, including Haywoode, Greg and Clarence, but was not much competition as an Independent in the NCAA (ending up 8-20).  After Haywoode graduated, Clarence and Greg led the way to a third place finish in the NAIA Tournament after ORU's self-imposed death penalty from the NCAA

• 8 years later...