ORU accepts $62 million offer

ORUTerry

In light of yesterday's momentous developments, one of my favorite Bible stories keeps coming to my mind:

15 When Joseph's brothers saw that their father was dead, they said, "What if Joseph holds a grudge against us and pays us back for all the wrongs we did to him?" 16 So they sent word to Joseph, saying, "Your father left these instructions before he died: 17 'This is what you are to say to Joseph: I ask you to forgive your brothers the sins and the wrongs they committed in treating you so badly.' Now please forgive the sins of the servants of the God of your father." When their message came to him, Joseph wept.

18 His brothers then came and threw themselves down before him. "We are your slaves," they said.

19 But Joseph said to them, "Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God? 20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. 21 So then, don't be afraid. I will provide for you and your children." And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them.

Genesis 50:15-20 NIV

That story reminds me that in some of our darkest moments God's will is being shown in our lives.  When the story broke about the law suit being brought against ORU back in October, who would have ever thought that what took place yesterday would be the outcome? 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• vcboy2000

• tmh8286

• Old Titan

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite Bible story..... a great reflection that God is never surprised and always in control.

There is still much to do and accomplish, but ORU's future looks great.

I understand that one of the biggest areas of concern about the Green initiative back in December was that the Green family had not presented any of the stipulations relative to the gift in writing to the Regents.  There was some discussion that the entire board would be replaced, and without any further info forthcoming, there was indeed concern that the founding mission and purpose of the university might indeed be jeopardized.  I can imagine that none of the Regents could be comfortable with the prospect of selling out for $62mil to an unknown destiny for ORU.

Fortunately, none of these possibilities have come to pass, and indeed the Green family appears to be interested to establish transparent accountability in the university's leadership.

One senior ORU official mentioned that it was as if 30 plus years of prayers were being answered through these events.

Agree making OR a lifetime trustee and RR president emeritus are classy and fitting.  Blessed are the peacemakers.

I think Doc TMH's analogy to the story of Joseph is very applicable.     

As for this alum and parent of one ORU grad and another current ORU student, I only wish both of them could be starting their ORU experience about now.  I think the next few years are going to be very exciting.

A momentus time in the life of ORU!   

I understand that one of the biggest areas of concern about the Green initiative back in December was that the Green family had not presented any of the stipulations relative to the gift in writing to the Regents.   There was some discussion that the entire board would be replaced, and without any further info forthcoming, there was indeed concern that the founding mission and purpose of the university might indeed be jeopardized.   I can imagine that none of the Regents could be comfortable with the prospect of selling out for $62mil to an unknown destiny for ORU.

Fortunately, none of these possibilities have come to pass, and indeed the Green family appears to be interested to establish transparent accountability in the university's leadership.

One senior ORU official mentioned that it was as if 30 plus years of prayers were being answered through these events.

Agree making OR a lifetime trustee and RR president emeritus are classy and fitting.   Blessed are the peacemakers.

I think Doc TMH's analogy to the story of Joseph is very applicable.       

As for this alum and parent of one ORU grad and another current ORU student, I only wish both of them could be starting their ORU experience about now.   I think the next few years are going to be very exciting.

A momentus time in the life of ORU!     

Great way to put it tbone77!

The interview with Green seemed very solid. I have never heard him speak in person. He seems like a stand-up guy. Couldn't get the Pearson's interview to work either. Interesting that he mentioned that he didn't think the proposal would be approved so quickly. He said that Oral was very excited about it, and that they are waiting for the approval of all of the proposed BOT.

the best days for ORU do appear to be in front of us.  thanks for posting the info on the new trustees.  i think the direction away from the televangelist/word of faith crowd and the move to more academic types with sounder theology will prove more important than the money "T. Boone" Green is giving.

Putting an athletic tilt to the discussion, we all know that Oral and Richard both were big supporters of the athletic program. We can only hope that the new President will be the same.  I would hate to see Mike Carter lose so much of what he has worked so hard to achieve.

Putting an athletic tilt to the discussion, we all know that Oral and Richard both were big supporters of the athletic program. We can only hope that the new President will be the same.  I would hate to see Mike Carter lose so much of what he has worked so hard to achieve.

vcb, your thoughts were apparently harmonizing nicely with mine this afternoon...similar discussion going on earlier this afternoon on the "Scott Sutton" thread here on basketball board.

To your point, it will be interesting to see how highly the new university leadership arrangement values a well funded athletics department.  Unfortunately on paper ORU athletics probably doesn't look great from a balance sheet standpoint.  This is where "value is in the eyes of the beholder" comes into play.  I'm sure revenue streams (basketball ticket sales, corporate sponsorships, Golden Eagle Club donations, conference revenue sharing, as well as other general contributions earmarked for various sports programs) will be closely evaluated in an attempt to gain an accurate measurement of ROI (which on the surface won't look too pretty I'm sure), however what I hope Mike Carter is able to sell the newly named trustees on is the "invaluable intangibles" competitive Division-I athletics programs bring to the greater good of the university (alumni, students, faculty and staff) as well as the city of Tulsa.

Unfortunately all aren't sports fans like us, and they may see athletics as merely a financial drain on the school...let's pray those folks are few in numbers and the majority at the very least view a strong financial commitment to athletics as a means to an end for the greater good.

the best days for ORU do appear to be in front of us.  thanks for posting the info on the new trustees.   i think the direction away from the televangelist/word of faith crowd and the move to more academic types with sounder theology will prove more important than the money "T. Boone" Green is giving.

You paint with a pretty wide brush to say that writing off the "word of faith"crowd is a good thing, and that such a theology is not sound.  I think many posters on this board and many ORU alums would still fall into a "word of faith" category.  It is important to not throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Expect a Miracle means something, and Oral understood how to use his faith and how to speak in faith, otherwise ORU wouldn't be here.

I would categorize your comment as a hasty generalization.  I agree that the best days for ORU are ahead as well, I just have a probelm with your terminology.  I suppose it is easy to pile on televangelists right now, but in reality, a hand full have gotten out of hand, while the majority are still doing the right thing and following God to the best of their abilities, and making a significant impact in the lives of thousands and thousands of viewers.  They just happen to be an easy target.

I hope that the foudational theology that Oral inspired in classes like "The Holy Spirit In The Now", "Christian Faith and Ministry", etc., will not be lost.  It is a part of what makes ORU unique.  As an example, while I would think that most ORU alums do not buy into a "give to get mentality" that may emphasize a selfish aspect of the "prosperity" movement, most would agree that there is a clear and well established scriptural basis for seed-faith concepts such as that if you give to God, then it will be given back to you.

In reality, what has happened with Mart Green is a miracle, and it is a response to prayers of faith which have gone up concerning ORU for years.  And since this is a sports message board, Go Eagles!  Beat IUPUI!

Is there an online video of the recent news conference with Green and ORU. 

On any newscast or station?

Congrats to Ralph Fagin upon being named interim ORU president.  Thanks to Billy Joe for stepping in at a real time of need.  I don't know how he had the time!

We have an ORU Titan basketball player at the helm... at least on an interim basis.  Dr. Fagin has been a very faithful ORU guy for the long haul, and will be a great asset in the continuing transition.

We need to get away from the Charismatic movement and stop telling people you can buy your way into heaven. Seed Faith is a crock!

sounds like its time for this thread to go to free for all.  Once it gets beyond the original topic and goes to rhetoric the time has come.

sounds like its time for this thread to go to free for all.  Once it gets beyond the original topic and goes to rhetoric the time has come.

Amen.

Congrats to Ralph Fagin upon being named interim ORU president.   Thanks to Billy Joe for stepping in at a real time of need.   I don't know how he had the time!

We have an ORU Titan basketball player at the helm... at least on an interim basis.   Dr. Fagin has been a very faithful ORU guy for the long haul, and will be a great asset in the continuing transition.

Is this official - I haven't seen any formal release from the University???  If this is true, hasn't he leap-frogged Lewandowski - a reversal of Lewandowski leap-frogging Fagin a few years back?  Very interesting...

Yeah, it was in the TW and on the university website on today. I was wondering the same thing about Lewnandowski. The title that article listed him as (VP for Academic Affairs) was the same title he had before Lewandowski stepped in. The article said that the Greens wanted someone in position that had no desire to be president in the future. Could it be that Mark Lewandowski had that desire? Does anyone know if he is still fuctioning in his role as Provost?