ORU Football

ORU-sisko

I really want a football team.  I am tired or watching college football and having to root for other mid-majors.  I hate to be "that guy" but now that the Roberts family has withdrawn from power, can we at least launch a a study of what that would cost or how it could benefit the school?  Man....i really want one.  We could use or rent a stadium from one of the high schools or TU....build a field with bleachers.....

I guess i've got "no football syndrome"...the alumni of DC cry out for a team.....[

• 2 weeks later...

I like the helmet, Sisko. It looks really cool.

football would be nice.  While we are at it how about a softball team too?

We can start a fund raiser for a football team. Have our alumia start giving money for the study and developement of a team. I would give money for that. 

Not only does the University have the issues of facilities, equipment and consistent funding, but you also have gender equity issues under Title XIX.  It would be financial suicide to start a SUCCESSFUL football program - even at a D-1AA or lower, which doesn't make money - at this stage in our University's life cycle.  Let's focus on what we currently have and be the best at it, both financial, academically and on the field.

I think that it would be hard to justify another non-revenue sport that requires a stadium (usually with lights), equipment and scholarships for 18 - 20 players.  You can't just retrofit a baseball stadium into softball field (that doesn't use a pitcher's mound), so you would have to create a totally new infrastructure to support the sport.  Personally, if there is a women's sport to add, I'd prefer softball, too.

I really want a football team.  I am tired or watching college football and having to root for other mid-majors.  I hate to be "that guy" but now that the Roberts family has withdrawn from power, can we at least launch a a study of what that would cost or how it could benefit the school?  Man....i really want one.  We could use or rent a stadium from one of the high schools or TU....build a field with bleachers.....

I guess i've got "no football syndrome"...the alumni of DC cry out for a team.....[

Like the Helmet. Football would be nice. Just one more sport that I can cheer ORU on.

No one loves football more than me and while I'm 110% for it, I'm realistic that it isn't going to happen UNLESS someone donates some insane amount of cash to fund it and by insane I'm talking hundreds of millions of dollars T. Boone Pickens style...

ORU's current athletics budget with all the student-athlete scholarships has to be in the $3 million ballpark per year with cash revenues of perhaps $1.5 million generated from basketball ticket sales, Summit League revenue sharing, Golden Eagle Club fund raising, corporate sponsorship cash sales, and general donations.  Since, athletics is already operating in a significant negative cash flow status, to add a ginormous football budget and as Bogus pointed out the corresponding Title IX funding it simply put won't happen without extremely large sums of miraculous financial gifts.

Love the helmet though...it looks very cool!  8-)

My ORU Golden Eagles football team is undefeated in EA Sports College Football 2006 on my son's PlayStation II.

They play in a modest 25,000 seat stadium, just east of Lake Evelyn.

And of course, I'm the quarterback with 4.4 speed and mad skills.

I know its not something that can happen overnight, but it IS something that can happen.  ORU has many sports that bring in 0 revenue, like nearly all of them.  I for one have seen universities start a football team off a local high school field just to get things started and if we nixed a current male program we could still be in good standing with the NCAA and gender based sports equality. (or add a softball team).

Also, what better way to get alumni involved than to give them something else to be proud of.  I would be happy to donate to a football program and I'm sure other alumni would be willing as well.  I know its a far cry from having a powerhouse, but being realistic we could set up a way for alumni to donate and when we hit the watermark we could at least BEGIN the process.  We have to start somewhere for ANY change.

I just honestly don't see ANY school as being nationally recognized and respected on an ongoing ESPN basis without at least a decent football team.  Gonzaga disappears when ever basketball season ends, while TCU may not have a great b-ball team, they are ALWAYS available on the sports scene in some fashion, hence they are always on the minds of young sports fans who are looking for a college to attend.

• 3 weeks later...

I was talking about the possibility of football with Debbie Yow's husband (AD at Maryland http://umterps.cstv.com/school-bio/md-athdir.html ) he pointed out that money is only part of the problem. If I remember correctly , in order to go to NCAA D1, you have to have attendance of over 16,000 for three years in a row. Let's look at TU to see how hard that is....

The University of Michigan, which averages more than 110,000 fans for home football games, lost an estimated $7 million on athletics over the course of two seasons, between 1998 and 2000.

Not only does the University have the issues of facilities, equipment and consistent funding, but you also have gender equity issues under Title XIX.  It would be financial suicide to start a SUCCESSFUL football program - even at a D-1AA or lower, which doesn't make money - at this stage in our University's life cycle.  Let's focus on what we currently have and be the best at it, both financial, academically and on the field.

Bogus brings up valid Title XIX points about additional scholarships, not to mention travel costs!  Think how much it costs to fly that many players and staff members plus their equipment!  Recently United Airlines has announced that they are going to start charging for more than one bag being checked in by a traveler. The second bag will be $25 and over that  $100 per bag.  This will effect our basketball and baseball teams already. Imagine how much equipment has to be transported for football?

Football transportation is a different beast all together.  TU has to charter flights to far away games for the players.  The equipment is generally hauled by truck -- when Graham became the coach, he added a "BCS" symbol to the truck, creating a whole lot of snickering among the TU faithful.  Gotta love that guy.

TU was well over 16K in attendance last year.  Well over 22K on average, I think.  Not Michigan, but very strong for CUSA.

Totallu unrelated, but thought I'd pass along a picture of an '09 player who just committed to us.  He's a big d-line prospect.  You'll see he is multi-talented.  I'd like to add a caption to this picture: "Why I love football."

http://www.maud.esc8.net/athletics/foot ... 210964.jpg

when we get the football team I would like to run the consession stands we would good food there.  Hamburgers and fries as well as Pizza

Go big blue football team undefeated and untied. The perfect record. :-D

We don't need a football team. With OU, OSU, and TU it would just get lost.

TU has had amazing success recently considering their size. Aren't they one of the smallest D-1 football schools?

We should just enjoy our success in basketball and baseball.