TU @ Colorado Tonight

Old Titan

Paul Smith is a great college quarterback - and I suspect will be making some money on Sundays next year. What a great kid; tremendous leader and competitor. TU will be hard pressed to replace him - guys like come along very infrequently.

I love to watch TU on offense - it's like Trickey's fast break offense in basketball. How long will they be able to keep Malzzan (sp?) as an offensive coordinator? Did TU end up as the #1 offense in Division 1?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold*

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• ORUTerry

Paul Smith is a great college quarterback - and I suspect will be making some money on Sundays next year. What a great kid; tremendous leader and competitor. TU will be hard pressed to replace him - guys like come along very infrequently.

I love to watch TU on offense - it's like Trickey's fast break offense in basketball. How long will they be able to keep Malzzan (sp?) as an offensive coordinator? Did TU end up as the #1 offense in Division 1?

I think Paul's better football days are still ahead for him, but his more memorable contributions will come as a coach someday.  That's not to say that he won't contribute meaningfully on a pro football team in the future, if the right opportunity arises, but he has so much to invest in people that it seems he will gravitate to being with young people the rest of his life.  I can't imagine another role model in college athletics (and hopefully in pro football) than Paul Smith.

TU will be lucky to have Malzahn another season.  He may not feel comfortable leaving a school again after only one season and feel the need to stay; however, assuming that he is the offensive coordinator next season at TU next season, my guess would be that the offense will be another "high-octane" version.  The offense has had a year to learn his system and it will only get better - even for the reserves that have been waiting for their turn.  Another year as a Top-10 offense will get the necessary attention for a top-tier power conference coordinator's position or a meaningful head coaching position. 

TU 81 - Colo 68.  TU down by 4 at half but pounds the Buffs in the second half.

Doesn't it just make you want to hum a little "In My Room"??    :-D

DW's team grabbed a nice road win tonight at a Big 12 school, granted CU's arguably number twelve of twelve in their league but nonetheless a road win anywhere in the Big 12's a good win for TU.  Gotta give 'em credit, they delivered the mail tonight.

TU was the number one yardage offense in the country.  All sorts of crazy statistics, like the first team with a 5,000 yard passer, 1,000 yard rusher, and THREE 1,000 yard receivers.

Malzahn isn't going anywhere this year.  The only OC position he has been mentioned for is Tennessee and I just think that rumor is BS and they aren't interested.  Believe it or not, there's still a lot of dislike for his brand of the spread in BCS conferences.  He did interview for a couple of HC positions, including Houston and Arkansas.  There's a lot more to the story that I can't tell.  But, I think he's going to stick with Graham a couple of years.  Keep in mind the guy was a high school coach a couple of years ago.  I kind of wonder if he's the HC when Graham leaves.  At this point, most of the movement is done with head coaches and assistants.

Two other assistants deserve special mention.  Herb Hand is co-OC and rebuilt our o-line,  We lost 4/5 three year starters.  The line was outstanding this year, other than our games with UCF.  He came from WVU and can recruit from the best of them.  A lot of what WVU does mirrors TU -- they tun more and we pass more, but a lot of it is the same basic idea.  We do a little more backyard stuff like switch jersey numbers before games (we have a play where the backup QB lines up at receiver with a receiver number, then runs back to catch a lateral and toss it deep). 

Bill Blankenship is outstanding.  TU had horrible receivers the year before, so bad that they just decided to keep running the same stupid screen play over and over.  Two of those 1,000 yard receivers are TRUE freshmen.  And the highest rated receiver recruits had to sit out this season because they transferred from SEC schools.  One of them is a former HS player of Malzahn, which makes me think Malzahn will be here another year (there are bigger reasons, too).

I think Paul's better football days are still ahead for him, but his more memorable contributions will come as a coach someday.  That's not to say that he won't contribute meaningfully on a pro football team in the future, if the right opportunity arises, but he has so much to invest in people that it seems he will gravitate to being with young people the rest of his life.  I can't imagine another role model in college athletics (and hopefully in pro football) than Paul Smith.

TU will be lucky to have Malzahn another season.  He may not feel comfortable leaving a school again after only one season and feel the need to stay; however, assuming that he is the offensive coordinator next season at TU next season, my guess would be that the offense will be another "high-octane" version.  The offense has had a year to learn his system and it will only get better - even for the reserves that have been waiting for their turn.  Another year as a Top-10 offense will get the necessary attention for a top-tier power conference coordinator's position or a meaningful head coaching position. 

I think 9 of 11 starters are back on offense.  Paul is impossible to replace, but they've got some depth in the pipeline.  The offense is going to score points.  Tennial just got a 6th year eligibility and Adams (1,200 yards rushing) is back; there's this kid named Marcus Wright that committed in the spring who is a freak of nature (5'7, REALLY fast).  There are a couple of other good tailbacks that sat out this year.  And then there are the receiver transfers.

We lose several outstanding defensive players, including all three starting linebackers -- but let's be honest, that defense couldn't have been any worse at times this year.  I was on the field for "dbag-gate" at Rice and couldn't believe how poor our D played that day. 

I think our first game next year is against Texas Tech -- some points should be scored in that one.  And, the guy who might be the QB for TU is their QB's little brother.

Malzahn isn't going anywhere this year. 

From what I am hearing, Malzahn will NOT be the TU offensive coordinator next year. More to come in the next few days.....

I'd like to see your source for that, Voice.  I've looked everywhere and there ain't much out there.  Tennessee doesn't want Gus and the only other place I've heard that might want him is WVU, but that's as second fiddle to Herb Hand.  Granted, the coach meetings are this weekend.  But we also have recruits visiting this weekend, including a big time QB -- so, something doesn't add up.

Like I said, there are some factors at play that would make a move very far away really surprise me.  Like a couple of our other assistants, there are factors other than football that have kept them at TU over the years -- for example, Patterson went to Louisville and then came back to be with his family (and his buddy, Graham).

I think he could hold out for an HC job.  Graham proved that a TU assistant can get a D-1 job.  Oh well . . . as long as we keep Clay, I'm happy. 

My 'sources' aren't media outlets.

Think outside the box for a moment, Gold. I said that Malzahn would MOST LIKELY not be the OC at TU next year. Saying that doesn't mean he will leave TU, necessarily.....

It's not 'in stone', yet. But, with what I am hearing.....there is a STRONG chance that this will be an 'exciting' off season for TU football.

And pray tell what college job is open?  If you say Hawaii, I bring back the fat jokes.

There aren't any dominoes left to fall, unless Pete Carroll or Bob Stoops or someone like that goes to the NFL.  And if those jobs open, they don't want Graham.  And I think NFL teams are learning not to go after college coaches after the Saban and Petrino disasters.  I'd be REALLY surprised if Todd left this year.  Then again, nothing he does surprises me, but I'm just sayin' -- the man has some integrity.

Honestly, I get the impression he just didn't like Rice very much.  Which is cool because I don't like them at all.  Rice: Worst. Message. Board. Ever.  I'd say they have the worst fans ever, but they only have like "fan."  We started posting pictures of ceiling fans on our board to simulate what it would be like to encounter what Rice passes off as "fans."  That was just a great day all around -- lots of great one-liners on our board that day.  "Hey everyone, there's plenty of parking available!"  "Gosh, it sure was easy getting out of your stadium."  "Hey man -- you don't need to yell that you have programs, all three people  here heard you the first dozen times."

My 'sources' aren't media outlets.

Think outside the box for a moment, Gold. I said that Malzahn would MOST LIKELY not be the OC at TU next year. Saying that doesn't mean he will leave TU, necessarily.....

It's not 'in stone', yet. But, with what I am hearing.....there is a STRONG chance that this will be an 'exciting' off season for TU football.

I'm trying to read between the lines here, Voice:  are you saying Graham may take the Hawaii job, and Malzahn would move up to head coach at TU?

Most of Voice's "sources" are most likely in Memphis.  Tigers anyone?  Graham's making over $1 million a year at TU, and I don't see him being one and done in Tulsa immediately after doing the same at Rice.  However, if the Memphis job popped open and they came after TG with $2 million a year, what would he do?

Bottom line, will TG ultimately leave Tulsa and take a "better" job someday, absolutely...I would be shocked if he didn't.  I just would be much more shocked if he left a second school in two years after just one season as head coach.  Doesn't seem probable at all.

Memphis doesn't have $2 million for a football coach that I'm aware of and I just don't see him doing the same thing twice.  They are behind us right now, in my opinion.  We have a lot of momentum.  TU would prolly try to match the offer -- I kind of wonder if we'll match what SMOO is paying Jones ($1.6, I think).  Then again, I'd rather see Malzahn get a raise.  Graham is cool, but his defense sure wasn't this year.

If we had the '05 defense, it would have been the Liberty Bowl.

Our league is getting weird with salaries.  There are definitely haves and have nots (UAB, Rice, Tulane).

Our league is getting weird with salaries.  There are definitely haves and have nots (UAB, Rice, Tulane).

Agreed Gold, the salaries some of these guys are paying out are remarkable...where's all that money coming from and for what ROI?  Somebody(ies) better crash the BCS party and soon to warrent said salaries.

I don't really follow college football but I wonder what will happen if Carroll does go to the NFL (ATL) again. That has the potential of setting off a rather large coaching carousel but I agree with Gold* it's a little late for anybody on TU's staff to leave after this year - especially for a school in league!