TU @ Colorado Tonight

Old Titan

In light of the spectacular performance by TU's football team last night in the GMAC Bowl, TU basketball coach Doug Wojcik's recent rant against TU fans and administrators now takes on extra significance as the Golden Hurricane travel to Colorado tonight for just their second game this year against a team from a BCS conference (horrible loss at OU was the other), and only their second overnight road game on an opponent's home floor this season (in addition to Arkansas-Little Rock, and that's not near the roadie Boulder is).

If they lose - especially if they lose badly - he may catch the blame for raining on the post-game euphoria provided by the football team just 24 hours earlier.

One more example of how the whole "I've done everything I should, why don't you" approach has already come back to haunt him.

Wojcik's criticism of everything from lackluster fan support to the choice of PA music has already been spun by a Memphis columnist into a reason why the C-USA postseason tournament should not move to the new BOK Center in downtown Tulsa any time soon.  I'm sure Mike Dotson at the Tulsa Sports Commission appreciates how much easier that makes his job!

Back to the game - Tony Mejia sees it as Colorado by 1 tonight.

Like I said before:  Better win now, Coach; better win...  :|

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold*

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• ORUTerry

Those comments weren't really directed at the fans.  Doug has said as much and there seems to be consensus on our board as such.  The people who were the most upset, like the Picker, didn't actually hear the comments.  Doug never uttered the words "I've done everything, why don't you."

That "columnist" is the Memphis version of Sittler.

Anyway, thanks for the misrepresentation and I'm glad to correct it.

How bout that football game?  And just think, all those 1,000 yard guys are coming back.  Paul will be impossible to replace, but we have a couple of interesting QBs in the pipeline, including a potential signing of the top JUCO QB.  I'm holding out hope we move Whitmore, the little guy who caught that lateral for the third TD (I think), to the spot and make him our version of Pat White.  Allegedly, Gus wants this offense to be more like WVU, except with all our razzle dazzle, Boise State-type plays we ran later in the year and our growing list of talented receivers (the best guys may be the transfers who had to sit out this year).

Our best receiver didn't catch a ball last night and we still one by 56 . . .

Not sure how this turned into a football thread, but since we don't have a football board, I guess we can let it slide.

I heard Coach Wojcik's post-game radio interview.  I was paraphrasing for brevity, but what he basically said was "The coaches and the players are doing everything we can, but it takes everybody:  marketing, promotions, administration, band, cheerleaders - everybody, for us to get where we want to be".

Then he trashed The Beach Boys.

The point is this:  I think there are some, both within and without the TU family, who would question whether or not "everything is being done" by the coaches and team, and if so, whether or not that performance is up to the lofty expectations of most TU fans.

Regardless, Coach Wojcik's comments have left him on a bit of an island, with little wiggle room should a high tide of losses come in...

How bout that football game?  And just think, all those 1,000 yard guys are coming back.  Paul will be impossible to replace, but we have a couple of interesting QBs in the pipeline, including a potential signing of the top JUCO QB.  I'm holding out hope we move Whitmore, the little guy who caught that lateral for the third TD (I think), to the spot and make him our version of Pat White.  Allegedly, Gus wants this offense to be more like WVU, except with all our razzle dazzle, Boise State-type plays we ran later in the year and our growing list of talented receivers (the best guys may be the transfers who had to sit out this year).

Our best receiver didn't catch a ball last night and we still one by 56 . . .

Congratulations on a great win last night, Gold*.  Paul Smith was stellar last night, as was the whole TU team.  They did the city proud!  It really was a fun game to watch.  

TRASHED THE BEACH BOYS???

There was a time when that was deserving of the firing squad!

TRASHED THE BEACH BOYS???

There was a time when that was deserving of the firing squad!

Yeah, his comment was:  "We don't even have a band here.  Before the game, we're having to listen to The Beach Boys.  My guys don't even know who The Beach Boys are."

Which is a shame - I would recommend "Pet Sounds" for a start, and then a nice greatest hits CD to complete the collection.  Either way, "All Summer Long", "Sloop John B", "Sail On Sailor", and "Barbara Ann" have to be in the rotation.

And, if the PA guy at the Reynolds Center has any sense of humor at all, he should intertwine Barry Manilow and 50 Cent songs during warm-ups at their next home game.

Yeah, his comment was:  "We don't even have a band here.  Before the game, we're having to listen to The Beach Boys.  My guys don't even know who The Beach Boys are."

HAVE to listen to the Beach Boys :?

I think that sailor was too long at sea . . .

HAVE to listen to the Beach Boys :?

I think that sailor was too long at sea . . .

You know, I never even thought of that:  how does a Navy guy come off dissing The Beach Boys?

I ought to make him and his guys a mix tape of classic "surf/ocean" music:  a little Beach Boys, a little Dick Dale, a LOT of Jimmy Buffett, Grand Funk's "I'm Your Captain", a little Jimmy Cliff, a little Bob Marley - now THAT would be nice!

Beats the heck out of "Soulja Boy"... :roll:

Not sure how this turned into a football thread, but since we don't have a football board, I guess we can let it slide.

I heard Coach Wojcik's post-game radio interview.  I was paraphrasing for brevity, but what he basically said was "The coaches and the players are doing everything we can, but it takes everybody:  marketing, promotions, administration, band, cheerleaders - everybody, for us to get where we want to be".

The point is this:  I think there are some, both within and without the TU family, who would question whether or not "everything is being done" by the coaches and team, and if so, whether or not that performance is up to the lofty expectations of most TU fans.

Regardless, Coach Wojcik's comments have left him on a bit of an island, with little wiggle room should a high tide of losses come in...

YOU started off talking about football.  Most TU fans have football on the brain today.  Thought some folks over here might enjoy discussing it -- I've noticed civic pride in the football team today.  People who aren't even sports fans are talking about it.

Look, I don't disagree that Doug has his work cut out for him.  He had better deliver.  But I think he knew that all along.  He knew what he was doing when he made the comments.  I wish he had been more diplomatic, but he's an emotional guy.  Many of those issues he mentioned have been going on since JP and a different approach was needed.  I can't tell you how many times different fans have approached TU about fixing the game atmosphere (which is really the heart of the issue).  Someone needed to do something.  My car-full of diehards clapped during the speech on the way home that day.  If we lose tonight, the pressure is on.  I sort of think it already was.

Doug has tried to change this a couple of times.  A couple of people in the athletic/events office are unresponsive.  No one knows why.  For what it's worth, a couple of different people are no longer working there and the environment was slowly improving this year.  Many have wondered what exactly set him off.  Whatever the case, Doug and staff work extremely hard.  I don't like everything they've done -- I was mad that they basically knew McLean was leaving and had no backup plan -- but I think they're better than what we had.  I'd rather stick with him than entertain the idea of anyone else taking over and then basically starting over AGAIN.  Some of these issues are things he shouldn't have to worry about, but no one else was effectively doing anything, either.

He was right about the Beach Boys.  I've got nothing against them, but they don't appeal to younger people.  I saw them play at the Liberty Bowl a couple of years ago, and while it was neat in a nostalgia sort of way, I don't think a lot of basketball players care for them.  Doug's point was that he was trying to get his guys excited and that isn't gonna cut it.  You might have seen the comment from the poster on our board who said the head ref at that game said he really liked the music and that our SID asked if he could go in the back and tell our coach that.

Of course, next time y'all get him at the Mabee Center, you should BLAST Beach Boys the entire game.

Congratulations on a great win last night, Gold*.  Paul Smith was stellar last night, as was the whole TU team.  They did the city proud!  It really was a fun game to watch.  

Thanks.  I got stuck watching the game in a bar at the Houston airport.  Given how things have played out with TU, Houston, and Rice and their respective message boards (notably Rice), I suppose there is some sort of cosmic irony at work.  I did convert a couple of folks into TU fans for a night.

Of course, next time y'all get him at the Mabee Center, you should BLAST Beach Boys the entire game.

Way ahead of you:  already looking into the Golden Eagle Club and Mabee Center bringing The Beach Boys in for a post-game fundraising concert.

Bet it would outdraw the game - and 90% of those in attendance wouldn't care less about TU or ORU basketball...

ORU can bring the Beach Boys if TU brings the Village People.  Who can forget their cult classic, "In the Navy?  Enjoy the lyrics:

Where can you find pleasure

Search the world for treasure

Learn science technology

Where can you begin to make your dreams all come true

On the land or on the sea

Where can you learn to fly

Play in sports and skin dive

Study oceanography

Sign of for the big band

Or sit in the grandstand

When your team and others meet

In the navy

Yes, you can sail the seven seas

In the navy

Yes, you can put your mind at ease

In the navy

Come on now, people, make a stand

In the navy, in the navy

Can't you see we need a hand

In the navy

Come on, protect the motherland

In the navy

Come on and join your fellow man

In the navy

Come on people, and make a stand

In the navy, in the navy, in the navy (in the navy)

They want you, they want you

They want you as a new recruit

If you like adventure

Don't you wait to enter

The recruiting office fast

Don't you hesitate

There is no need to wait

They're signing up new seamen fast

Maybe you are too young

To join up today

Bout don't you worry 'bout a thing

For I'm sure there will be

Always a good navy

Protecting the land and sea

In the navy

In the navy

In the navy

In the navy, in the navy

In the navy

In the navy

In the navy

In the navy, in the navy, in the navy (in the navy)

Who me?

But, but but I'm afraid of water.

Hey, hey look

Man, I get seasick even watchin' it on TV!

They want you, they want you in the navy

Oh my goodness.

What am I gonna do in a submarine?

They want you, they want you in the navy

Here's something that should really annoy the TU faithful.  The music during the pre-game at Centenary, that's right Centenary, was awesome.  A mix of up beat rock (Stones, CCR, more recent stuff) and rap that I did not recognize (but it had a good beat).  The players seemed to enjoy along with the 500 in attendance.  

CCR and awesome do not belong in the same sentence in reference to basketball.

I'm having a flashback to the scene at the car lot in The Big Lewbowski . . .

TU played very well last night. Their defense really made Bowling Green look like they didn't belong in D-1. It was pretty funny.  Glad to see Graham so fired up even with the big lead. Who cares about running up the score. Paul Smith seems like a quality kid. Good to see him end his career on a such a high note. Hopefully they'll take that momentum into next season.

ORU can bring the Beach Boys if TU brings the Village People.  Who can forget their cult classic, "In the Navy?  Enjoy the lyrics:

Where can you find pleasure

Search the world for treasure

Learn science technology

Where can you begin to make your dreams all come true

On the land or on the sea

Where can you learn to fly

Play in sports and skin dive

Study oceanography

Sign of for the big band

Or sit in the grandstand

When your team and others meet

In the navy

In the navy

In the navy

In the navy, in the navy

In the navy

In the navy

In the navy

In the navy, in the navy, in the navy (in the navy) . . .

Higgins talking smack on the message board . . . will wonders never cease?