Derek Thomas' Dad Becomes Falcon's Interim Head Coach

Bogus Smith

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7556476?MSNHPHMA

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) - Emmitt Thomas waited a long time to serve as head coach of an NFL team.

He never could have imagined his opportunity would come this way.

One day after Bobby Petrino's unexpected resignation, Thomas inherited an Atlanta Falcons team eager for new leadership...

...Thomas also won a Super Bowl ring as a player with Kansas City.

He played quarterback at Bishop College before joining the Chiefs as an undrafted player. He led the league in interceptions twice.

Thomas' son, Derek Thomas, is in his fifth year as the basketball coach at Western Illinois.

• 1 month later...

Apparently they're already counting Thomas out at WIU.  Here's a post from a week ago from their message board:

I actually thought that I had heard somewhere that the band was going to be back for the Saturday double-header vs North Dakota State. I hope that is true, as the band certainly adds to the game atmosphere.

The students will show up when they have been properly motivated. I can remember one game back in the 90's (during the Kerwin reign) where so many students showed up that they add to open up the rarely used south balcony!

That is why I say that the new coach will need to "sell" this program. He will need to be out there meeting campus organizations such as dorms, fraternities, etc. He will also need to do the same with the local Macomb groups such as Rotary, Kiwanis, etc.

I am guessing that the current count of season ticket holders is at the lowest point ever--guessing about 250. So this new coach will have a lot of "selling" to do--both with the campus and the community.

It will not be an easy task.

One WESTERN. All Leathernecks !!

Go Leathernecks !!

Interesting because WIU is playing very good basketball right now; they are 3 and 2 in league games. We cannot afford to overlook them this Saturday.