IPFW?s Johnson Named Player of the Week

Mike Minyard

IPFW?s Johnson Named Player of the Week

Courtesy: The Summit League

Release: 12/10/2007

Demetrius Johnson, IPFW

Sr., G, 6-4, Cleveland, Ohio/Warrensville Heights HS

Johnson earns Player of the Week honors after registering the first triple-double in IPFW history and leading the Mastodons to a perfect 2-0 record in Summit League play last week. The senior finished with 14 points and 10 assists in a win over Southern Utah and followed that up with 17 points, 13 rebounds and 12 assists in a victory over UMKC. For the week, he averaged 15.5 points, 8.5 rebounds and 11.0 assists while shooting 56 percent from the field, 67 percent from three-point range and 73 percent from the free throw line. The Cleveland, Ohio, native has dished out 10 or more assists in each of the last three games.

Also nominated: Lance Hill, Centenary; Bill Pettiford, IUPUI; Dane Brumagin, UMKC; Brett Winkelman, North Dakota State; Derick Nelson, Oakland; Yemi Ogunoye, Oral Roberts; Geoff Payne, Southern Utah; Jerryck Owens-Murrey, Western Illinois.

Previous winners: Dec. 3 - George Hill, IUPUI; Nov. 26 - Ben Woodside, North Dakota State; Nov. 19 - Nick Stallings, Centenary; Nov. 12 - Jeremiah Hartsock, UMKC.

OK, OK - a triple-double, have to give him props for that.

But I find it interesting that no ORU or Oakland players has earned POW honors yet - presumably, the powers that be are trying to share the wealth.

On a similar note, has anyone noticed ANY ORU men's basketball player's picture featured on a Summit League website story yet?

Plenty of pictures of Centenary Gents playing before hundred of fans, though... :wink:

Previous winners: Dec. 3 - George Hill, IUPUI; Nov. 26 - Ben Woodside, North Dakota State; Nov. 19 - Nick Stallings, Centenary; Nov. 12 - Jeremiah Hartsock, UMKC.

Without doing any research, I'd be willing to bet it's been years since we went through five weeks of the season without having a player given this award.

Then on the other hand you have a team like IPFW who just had someone register their first triple double EVER...ORU athletics as a whole is a man among boys in the Summit.

And just because I randomly miss Larry Owens in the throwback uni and fro... :mrgreen:

The rest of the conference is probably getting back at us for having Caleb named almost every week last year and then throw in Ken we pretty much dominated the honors last year.  With no face returning they probably have an easier time giving it to someone else.  But lets just wait until conference play and see what happens.

While on this topic, I'll voice another MAJOR irritation of mine - since this year Oral Roberts WASN'T picked to win the conference, and if we do, or even if we end up in the top three, will SCOTT SUTTON GET COACH OF THE YEAR THAT HE'S DESERVED THE PAST THREE SEASONS???

If he doesn't, then they should do away with it, because the award is absolutely meaningless anyway.  Less deserving coaches have ended up with it each of the past three years.

While on this topic, I'll voice another MAJOR irritation of mine - since this year Oral Roberts WASN'T picked to win the conference, and if we do, or even if we end up in the top three, will SCOTT SUTTON GET COACH OF THE YEAR THAT HE'S DESERVED THE PAST THREE SEASONS???

If he doesn't, then they should do away with it, because the award is absolutely meaningless anyway.  Less deserving coaches have ended up with it each of the past three years.

+1

Heck, +1,000,000!