Crowded At The Top

ORUJason

I noticed that the top 5 volleyball teams in the Summit League are all tied, with each team having a 9-3 record, with 4 games left to go.

Since only the top 4 will make the playoffs, that means one of these teams will not.  It will be very important for ORU to get 3 wins out of their last 4 games to ensure that they make it.

Even though we lost Valparaiso, the addition of NDSU, SDSU, and IPFW appear to have increased the overall quality and competitiveness of Summit League volleyball.

The top 5 teams are: NDSU, SDSU, ORU, IPFW, and Western Illinois.

This weekends games will certainly jostle the standings, but the race over the next 2 weeks should be very interesting.  Go Eagles!

After this weekend's games, ORU and SDSU are 11-3, and NDSU, IPFW, and Western Illinois are 10-4.

Since Western Illinois and IPFW play each other this next weekend, one of them will be 11-5 or worse.

ORU plays at NDSU and SDSU this weekend, which will probably be their 2 toughest matches.  If they win one of those games, they will make it to the 4-team playoff.  If they lose both of those games, they may end up tied with either IPFW or Western Illinois at 11-5.  I don't know how the tie-breakers work, but assuming that head-to-head competition is the first tie-breaker, ORU is 2-0 vs. IPFW and 0-2 vs. Western Illinois.

So, it looks like the only way that ORU doesn't make the volleyball playoffs is if ORU loses twice, and Western Illinois loses to IPFW, but then beats Oakland, and IPFW then beats IUPUI on Monday (assuming that NDSU beats Centenary).  In that scenario, SDSU (also assuming they beat Centenary) would be 13-3, NDSU 12-4, IPFW 12-4, and ORU/Western Illinois would each end up 11-5, with Western earning the 4th spot due to being 2-0 in head-to-head competition vs. ORU.

So, go Eagles and beat NDSU and SDSU and we won't have to worry about it. Great job over this last weekend to go 2-0.

Good luck this week-end when you head north to the Dakotas, especially on Friday night. I hope they are good matches and may the best team win. Go Big! Go Blue! GoJacks!!!

I found this quote on the summit league website...

The Westerwinds picked up a key Summit League victory over Oakland Saturday, keeping their postseason hopes alive. The team must now wait for the outcome of tomorrow?s IPFW-IUPUI match to find out if it makes the league tournament next weekend. If the Mastodons win, Western will get in as the No. 4 seed. If IPFW loses, the Westerwinds will miss out on the tournament.

So, unfortunately, since the volleyball team lost to NDSU and SDSU, it sounds like we need IUPUI (the underdog) to beat IPFW, in order for ORU to make the playoffs.  On the bright side, I think IPFW is in the playoffs either way, so they might not be quite as motivated to win.

You are correct. ORU needs IUPUI to win. This would give ORU the #3 seed and IPFW would be #4. If IPFW wins then they are the #3 seed and WIU would get the #4. NDSU has locked up the #2 seed and our Conference Champion Jacks are the #1 seed. Go luck to all.