ORU women top list - Tulsa World (10-18-2007)

ORUTerry

ORU women top list

By LYNN JACOBSEN World Sports Writer

10/18/2007

(excerpt)

The Oral Roberts women's basketball team is the preseason favorite to win the 2007-08 Summit League, according to a poll of league coaches, sports information directors and media members.

see link for rest of the story....

Link

It really says a lot about the quality of recruiting that Jerry Finkbeiner has done that a team can lose their best player, Elisha Turek, and still be picked to finish first in their conference. 

Although I agree with Jason that it says a lot to see Coach Fink's team getting recognized, I find it hard to believe that South Dakota (coming off their WNIT run) isn't considered the front runner (after all, they did have 14 first place votes - more than any other team).  Having the "target on their backs" for the season will make it harder for the team to replace the production of an Elisha Turek.  I'm hopeful that the team gels quickly this season!! 

Personally, I would have placed us 3rd or 4th behind SDSU and Oakland for sure.  Those teams will be our stiffest competition, and we could lose to the top 5 or 6 teams on any given night if we don't prepare ourselves.

I'm excited to see our Ladies play because I think that they will be exciting and fun this season.  GO EAGLES (LADY EAGLES, that is)!!

• 2 weeks later...

Played ball with the girls today... they're looking really good. Working very hard and have some good chemistry. I think we might see some new faces play a big part in their season. They have some great girls coming in this year. Im excited to see them play this saturday, hope to see all of you there.