Re: Clarence Thompson

OKC Eagle

Although Clarence was a good player for us "back in the day", I didn't recall him being inducted into the ORU Hall of Fame.  My review of the Hall of Fame inductees confirmed my suspicions.  Does anyone else remember when he could have been inducted in the HOF?

Says in his bio the culmination of his ORU career was his induction into the ORU Hall of Fame.

He's not in the ORU Hall of Fame. 

ORU Hall of Fame link

Well, I've got the solution to that - let's get him inducted!

Great idea, Doc - but then we'd probably have to retire his number.. and you know what kind of trouble THAT causes! :roll:

He wasn't THAT good of a player.  If we induct him, we'd have to induct some others that didn't have Caleb-type careers.  I'd say Greg Sutton gets in before Clarence.

A graduate of Oral Roberts University, Coach Thompson set a school record for 3-point field goals made in a season, earning him the nickname "The Mad Bomber." So profoundly gifted as a shooter and a defender, you had to meet him at half court - just in case! His impressive college career, which includes scoring over 1100 points in only two seasons,  was punctuated with his induction into the ORU Hall of Fame.

You guys are punching all sorts of holes in this fine bio that spoke highly of Carence's ORU experience.  Come on, cut the guy some slack.  If he says he's in the Hall of Fame, well, can't we play along???

Great idea, Doc - but then we'd probably have to retire his number.. and you know what kind of trouble THAT causes! :roll:

:-D :-D :-D

I remember coming across a list of names a while back that Trickster put together.  I believe he made a basketball hall of fame list, and that is probably what Clarence was talking about on his resume.  That list was buried when the official hall of fame was resurrected.  I vaguely remember some of the records we ran across in the athletic department when we were trying to reestablish the ORU Hall of Fame.

He wasn't THAT good of a player.  If we induct him, we'd have to induct some others that didn't have Caleb-type careers.  I'd say Greg Sutton gets in before Clarence.

Sutton won't be getting in for a LLLLLLOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGGG time ... not that he doesn't deserve it.

I remember coming across a list of names a while back that Trickster put together.  I believe he made a basketball hall of fame list, and that is probably what Clarence was talking about on his resume.  That list was buried when the official hall of fame was resurrected.  I vaguely remember some of the records we ran across in the athletic department when we were trying to reestablish the ORU Hall of Fame.

As I recall, that list of Trickey's was REALLY long and was strictly men's basketball player's from his two stints as head coach.

Not exactly a cross-section of former ORU athletes...

As I recall, that list of Trickey's was REALLY long and was strictly men's basketball player's from his two stints as head coach.

Not exactly a cross-section of former ORU athletes...

You're exactly right... it was just a list of what he perceived as the best men's basketball players from ORU

• 14 years later...

This is CLARENCE THOMPSON and yes Coach Trickey had posted a list of hall of players and that’s what I’m referring to.. I played two years and scored 1133 points as we did have big wins (LSU, ALABAMA, SOUTH CAROLINA among others)  Anyway, very proud to be an ORU graduate.  Any further questions or concerns please reach out to the above email.

God Bless,

Clarence 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Clarence - loved watching you play during my freshman year at ORU.  I was glad to hear about your full recovery from the auto accident you suffered many years ago.  Are you currently involved in coaching?