#7 Michael Vick's apology

Cletus

I watched Michael Vick's statement to the press.  I want to believe that the man's regrets, his apology, his remorse and contriteness, were genuine. Even the owner of the Atlanta Falcons says that they will not cut him from the team.  He said it would not be in the best interests of the team.  I think Vick is sorry for what he's done.  Yet, many fans are embrassased from this.  They don't want to wear #7 on a Falcon jersey again.  But people can recover, right?  Only Vick knows why he did what he did.  It would be a shame to have this incident overshadow the high character of many other athletes. 

Here's his statement, without notes:

"For most of my life, I've been a football player, not a public speaker. So, I really don't know how to say what I really want to say. I understand it's not important as far as what you say, but how you say things. So, I take this opportunity just to speak from the heart.

First I want to apologize for all the things that I've done and that I've allowed to happen. I want to personally apologize to Commissioner Goodell, Arthur Blank, Coach Bobby Petrino and my Atlanta Falcon teammates for our previous discussions we had. I was not honest and forthright with those previous discussions. I was ashamed and totally disappointed in myself, to say the least.     

I want to apologize to all the young kids out there for my immature acts. What I did was very immature so that means I need to grow up.     

I totally ask for forgiveness and understanding as I move forward to better Micahel Vick the person, not the football player. I take full responsibility for my actions. Not for one second would I sit right her and point the finger and try to blame anybody else for my actions or what I've done. I'm totally responsible. Those things did not have to happen.     

I feel like we all make mistakes. Just I made a mistake in using bad judgment and making bad decisions. And those things just can't happen. Dogfighting is a terrible thing and I didn't reject it.     

I'm upset with myself and through this situation I found Jesus and asked him for forgiveness and I just turned my life over to God. I think that's the right thing to do as of right now.     

Like I said, for this entire situation I never pointed the finger at anybody else. I accepted responsibility for my actions and what I did. And now I have to pay the consequences for it. But, in a sense, I think it'll help me out a lot as a person. I got a lot to think about in the next year or so.     

I offer my deepest apologies to everybody out therein the world who was affected by this whole situation. If I'm more disappointed in myself than anything it's because of all the young people, young kids that I let down, who look at Michael Vick as a role model.     

I have to go through this and put myself in this situation. I hope that every young kid in the world watching this interview right now who's been following the case would use me as an example to use better judgment and make better decisions.     

Once again, I offer my deepest apologies to everyone. I will redeem myself. I have to. I got a lot of down time, time to think about my actions and what I've done. And how to make Michael Vick a better person. Thank you."

It's the first step to take.  God will ultimately judge the man's heart as He'll judge my own.  For my myself I ask for mercy.  I can do no less for Michael Vick, especially after seeing him deliver his statement.

I trust some good will come out of this situation.  You? 

I think good will come. He should be held accountable still and not placed on a pedestal for telling the truth but he has the opportunity to effect people in a much more powerful way now. I think he has had a genuine faith experience and hopefully will surround himself with the right people to help keep him accountable.

ash  =o)