Signing Period

ORUTerry

Signing period for basketball starts this Wednesday and lasts until the 16th - I think. We already think that we have the following signees:

Marquis Gaines - guard from Muskogee High School

Jeremy Hazell - wing/guard from NC prep school

Foreign JC guard - name unkown (according to DarrenJ)

It seems this guy has gone south and has not shown up on our new board? What's the deal? :lol:

Darrenj has not shown up on this board yet.... I have seen him cruising on the old board though. Maybe he is not aware of the change. Let's hope he finds us - he is a great source of information. Maybe he can give us a heads up on other kids we might be signing in the early period. Don't look for us to sign multiple kids tomorrow; typically they stagger the signings to give the particular athlete his day in the sun.

It's very possible that darrenj could be laying low for a few days until after the early signing period in order to keep the rumors down of who we're looking at. Could it be that we're camping out at a particular "big man's" house and we want to keep the traffic to his door down to a minimum? :D

I say our coaches set up a 12AM watch party for all our recruits. Let's show up at their doorstep at 12:01AM all singing the ORU fight song as loud as we can. That will surely show them how they will have a committed fan base! :D

I thought we were going to hear about a couple or three signings today - I wonder why we aren't hearing anything about them? Maybe they will come later on in the week, but I thought that when the commitments were made then the signings usually took place early in the signing period.

Anybody hearing anything about our recruits?

Tmh, they probably allready have one or two NLOI, but are waiting to see if they can get another signature. We'll probably get one press release from the sports info office with all the guys that signed. This probably will not come today. As usual we will probably get information from an alt source (i.e the kids school or something) first before we hear it from the horses mouth.

So who starts in the middle next year? Yemi or a freshman? Unless we get a steal of a recruit, neither option sounds very appealing. A freshman is obvioulsy prone to make a lot of mistakes. Yemi is talented but could be used a lot more effectively at the 3 or 4 than at low post. That could be a big problem next year. I'm nervously awaiting any recruiting news on a big guy.

Well, Scotty didn't seem nervous talking about it on the coaches show last night. I don't think I'll worry about it either. He said that the coaching staff is doing a great job, and that he is sure they'll lock some good post players down.

My guess is that we are actively recruiting a high school post player as well as a junior college big man. While Yemi is not a true 5, he can do a decent job down low. We may have to use athleticism instead of brawn. Here is an interesting line-up for next year:

Adam Liberty - pg

Ken Tutt - sg

Marchello Vealy - wing

Caleb Green - power forward

Yemi Ogunoye - center

What we lose in bulk with Mickey, we gain in athleticism with Mickey.

That leaves Moses Ehambe and Sylvester Spicer to come off the bench. Spicer (and Ehambe too) plays taller than his 6'5" height; he is athletic, strong and a good leaper... and also does not mind physical contact.

I say that a Juco will start down low next year. Yemi hates playing the 5 with a passion, and it shows. Juco and freshman signees would be great to meet the immediate need and for the future development. If only we could stack big men like we stack guards.

ORU Signs Two on First Day of Early Signing Period

For Immediate Release: November 9, 2005

TULSA?Dominique Gaines (Muskogee, Okla.) and Jeremy Hazell (Bronx, N.Y.) have signed National Letters-of-Intent to play basketball at Oral Roberts University, ORU head coach Scott Sutton announced today.

Both players signed on the first day of the Early Signing Period, which runs through next Wednesday.

Gaines, a 6-2, 175-pound guard from Muskogee High School, averaged 18.2 points, 4.6 rebounds and 1.9 assists per game as a junior for the Roughers. Gaines was second in the Frontier Conference in scoring, and was a second-team all-conference selection.

But as good as Gaines? junior year was he blossomed over the summer. Gaines helped lead the Tulsa Dawgs to the Oklahoma AAU 17-under state championship and a berth in the national tournament, and also led the Dawgs to the Big Time Summer Challenge title in Oklahoma City, scoring 20 points in the title game.

?We think Dominique is one of the best kept secrets in Oklahoma,? said Sutton. ?For some reason he?s not getting much preseason publicity. But he?s a versatile guard, capable of playing both positions in the back court. He really understands how to play the game. Dominique?s going to have a chance to help us right away.?

Hazell is a 6-4, 185-pound guard at The Patterson Prep School in Lenoir, N.C. Hazell, who played his senior season at Fremont High School in Los Angeles, Calif., is a key member of what is widely regarded as the nation?s number one prep school team. Six of Hazell?s teammates are ranked among the nation?s top 25 players, and eight of his teammates have either signed with, or committed to play for, Division I schools.

?Jeremy is a very talented player,? said Sutton. ?He?s extremely athletic and a terrific shooter. He?s one of the more highly regarded recruits we?ve ever signed. Jeremy plays for the best prep school team in the country and, because he goes up against so many other great players in practice every day, he?s going to continue to get better.

?With the loss of six seniors off this season?s squad, Jeremy could have a big impact for us next season.?

Hazell is averaging 11.8 points, 4.9 rebounds and 3.2 steals per game for Patterson through their first seven games. Hazell is shooting 45 percent from 3-point range and just under 75 percent from the free throw line.

As a senior at Fremont, Hazell helped lead the Pathfinders to the Coliseum League title and the semifinals of the City Section playoffs by averaging 20.9 points per game. His best effort for FHS was a 35-point explosion in which he drained nine 3-pointers in an 81-73 win over rival Crenshaw High. Fremont finished the season with a 21-3 record.

Hazell averaged 22 points, 4.5 rebounds and 1.5 assists as a junior for Urban Peace Academy in Manhattan before transferring to Fremont.