Recruiting Q&A: Rotnei Clarke

Toby

Courier Journal Interview W/ Rotnei Clarke

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Recruiting Q&A: Rotnei Clarke

Jody Demling

jdemling@courier-journal.com

The Courier-Journal

Rotnei Clarke is one of the highest scoring players in the Class of 2008. The senior-to-be at Claremore (Okla.) Verdigris High School has averaged over 30 points a game for each of the past two high school seasons. Now, he?s trying to decide on a college and has the University of Kentucky high on his list. Courier-Journal recruiting writer Jody Demling caught up with the 6-0, 175-pound Clarke recently at the LeBron James U.S. Skills Academy about his recruitment and some other things.

C-J: I have watched you and know your game is more than just ?being a shooter,? but that?s what you have become known for. How did you become such a good shooter?

Clarke: I probably shoot 600 or 700 shots a day and that?s not including jumpers and stuff. I am just trying to have fun. I know God gave me a talent and I want to use it.

C-J: So how much time do you spend in the gym and where?

Clarke: I shoot in my high school gym. My uncle is the head coach and I have a key to the gym. I am in there every day and all the time.

C-J: So, spending that much time in the gym do you have time for anything else?

Clarke: I am real religious. My Christianity and faith is really strong and the other thing I really enjoying doing is fishing.

C-J: You recently made a visit to Kentucky and we have heard you say it went great. What is it about Kentucky that you like so much?

Clarke: I feel comfortable being around the coaches and the players. There are a lot of people talking about how they recruited three point guards and all of that. But really that doesn?t bother me too much. I?m comfortable with everything there.

C-J: I have heard different things about your lists of schools. Are you ready to commit yet or do you have a favorite?

Clarke: Right now, I am open. I don?t have a favorite. I may have a couple that are hitting me really hard and showing a lot of interest. Hopefully, I will have some favorites later on this month.

C-J: Some fun stuff now. Who is your favorite player?

Clarke: Dwayne Wade.

C-J: Your all-time favorite player?

Clarke: Michael Jordan.

C-J: Your favorite athlete?

Clarke: I guess I would have to say Jordan.

C-J: Your favorite team?

Clarke: (Cleveland) Cavaliers.

C-J: Do you play any other sports?

Clarke: I used to play baseball. When I was in the eighth-grade I was really into it and had to choose between baseball and basketball. I used to really like the Seattle Mariners when Ken Griffey Jr. was there.

C-J: Your best athletic moment to date?

Clarke: This past season, I had 60 points in a state quarterfinal game.

C-J: Your favorite food?

Clarke: Pizza.

C-J: Something non-basketball related that people might not know about you?

Clarke: I am a real strong Christian.

I thought when I left ORU they were talking about turning Lake Evelyn into a parking lot for more convenient baseball parking...is that not still in the works?

I had heard that the city was going to make changes to the flow of Fred Creek (on ORU's campus) to alleviate flooding problems. I think they are waiting until after the PGA Tournament at Southern Hills - just down the street. Not sure what, if anything, that would do about Lake Evelyn. I suspect that LE is a retension pond and as such will have to stay where it is.

good to hear...LE is an ORU campus trademark...engaged in a lot of studying (lady folk) around that 'lake'

I also think that the Mabee Center parking lot is going to get re-surfaced (maybe already happened?) as a result of the PGA leasing and using ORU for parking during the PGA Tournament in early August.

Okay.... let's get this thread back on target: If (and I know it's a big "if") we land Rotnei Clarke, what effect will that have on our recruiting for this and future years? You have to believe that it would have a ripple effect and at least put us on some players' radar. It will also positively impact attendance if his high school games are any indication. A player like Clarke will draw fans from the Verdigris/Calremore area who have followed him for years - as well as casual fans in the Tulsa area.

I also think that the Mabee Center parking lot is going to get re-surfaced (maybe already happened?) as a result of the PGA leasing and using ORU for parking during the PGA Tournament in early August.

2mm8z5t.gif

I just love that smiley . . .

Okay.... let's get this thread back on target: If (and I know it's a big "if") we land Rotnei Clarke, what effect will that have on our recruiting for this and future years? You have to believe that it would have a ripple effect and at least put us on some players' radar. It will also positively impact attendance if his high school games are any indication. A player like Clarke will draw fans from the Verdigris/Calremore area who have followed him for years - as well as casual fans in the Tulsa area.

. . . and then we'll need the extra parking that covering Lake E. would provide.  See, the previous post wasn't a thread jack after all - but I still liked using the "Thread Hijacked" smiley!

oh yea..you are right about that..Verdegris games were always packed..when we played over there..right after the girls game was over, you could see people just pile in their gym lol...and the same for when we played them at our house...they traveled

I think you are right on target Terry.  If Rotnei were to come to ORU it would ignite a wildfire of recruitment possiblities.  Landing a top 100 player makes other top 100 players with similar mindsets (i.e. Christian Faith as a foundation for life), realize that success with their talents can co-exist with what they believe.

As a friend of mine just said; Rotnei could become the face of the new Summit League much like Brice Drew and Caleb Green were.  And with the upgrades to ORU's schedules over the last several years, the stages have gotten bigger for ORU.  Do you think ESPN would pass up a TELEVISED bracket buster game with a shooter like Rotnei?  I don't.

I've been more pessimistic when has come to the possiblity of Rotnei coming to ORU but I'm starting to come around a little...I hope my new found bubble stays inflated.

alot of our future rides on the signing of Rotnei....if we do sign him our stock will instantly rise, like you said in the players strong in their beliefs, and if we dont sign him, well we will be okay, but we really need to sign Rotnei to push us over the top and get our name out there with the big name recruits

seem like if we get Rotnei, we probably have a good shot at then getting Babb as well...and it probably opens up a host of recruiting possibilities for some of the top talents off the Team Texas squad the year or two afterward. I think you'd see a number of articles written about ORU getting Rotnei in the months after the signing as well as when he first begins to play with the team, which is great national pub for the team and recruiting. I think with Green and Rotnei going to ORU, it possibly will open up even more opportunities to get top Oklahoma talent in the future as well. The list goes on and on...I'll do a jig if and when we sign him.

If..If...If...

Whats wrong with you people! You went to ORU.  You know you are not allowed to say IF. that is the wrong confession.  Learn to use the word WHEN. Then he will have to come here whether he wants to or not!  What kind of charismatic university is this?

really...man I was excited when I found he commited to us, but it was too bad he decided to go elsewhere...we would have had a good recruiting class that year with him, Justin Robinson, and Gaines

Ah.... Jeremy Hazell. Wonder what he is thinking now? I would LOVE to know the real story about his recruiting. I thought I saw somewhere (many months ago) that he was having second thoughts about Seton Hall. But there is nothing for him to do - now. It will be interesting to follow his career.

IF (sorry - can't be presumptuous) we get Clarke, it will be a major coup and generate a lot of press coverage.