Lincoln replaces Bunds at KTUL-8

ORUTerry

Lincoln replaces Bunds at KTUL-8

By BILL HAISTEN World Sports Writer

5/4/2007

After 26 years away from the KTUL channel 8 news set, Chris Lincoln is returning to the station as its sports director.

On Thursday, KTUL general manager Pat Baldwin confirmed that he has hired the 59-year-old Lincoln, who starts work on Monday. Baldwin said he "chose not to renew the contract" of Jack Bunds, who was at KTUL for 11 years. Bunds was the sports director for nearly two years, but is no longer employed by Channel 8.

"I decided a couple of months ago that we needed to do something different in sports," Baldwin said. "Jack has served us very well, but I feel like we need to go a different direction.

"We're very excited about Chris Lincoln. There have been a lot of great sportscasters in this town, and Chris is right at the top."

Lincoln was the Channel 8 sports director in 1974-81, then left the station to help form Tulsa-based Winner Communications (now known as Winnercomm, one of the nation's more prominent television production companies). In 1982-98, Lincoln hosted ESPN's "Racehorse Digest." He says he has logged more than 6.6 million miles on American Airlines flights.

But even while traveling around the world for ESPN, Lincoln remained a resident of the Tulsa area.

"It will be a lot easier to drive to Stillwater and Norman than to fly to Dubai and Hong Kong," Lincoln said. "We sold a big part of our interest in Winnercomm a year ago, and I didn't want to be retired. Channel 8 offered me the opportunity to be the full-time sports director. I want to make sure that my family supported it.

"What really sold me was the enthusiastic support of Pat Baldwin and the assurances that Channel 8 will be aggressive in sports once again."

Lincoln said he will continue to serve as a Tuesday co-host for the Sports Animal radio station. At Channel 8, he will anchor the 5, 6 and 10 p.m. weekday newscasts, along with the half-hour show that airs on Sunday nights at 10:35. KTUL's Ruben Diaz will remain in his role as a reporter and weekend anchor.

Bunds, a 27-year veteran of the television business, said he has "absolutely no idea" what he might do next.

"I've gotten a lot of calls from people who are wishing me well," he said.

Bunds then added, "I think Chris will be really good for Channel 8 sports."

Baldwin said Channel 8 likely will make some changes with its "You Make The Call" Sunday show.

"We've got to revamp it, no doubt, but what we do will be up to Chris," Baldwin said. "We do need to spruce it up a little bit."

Talk about a cut-throat business.... Bunds has only been sports director for about 1-1/2 years - after replacing Mike Zigenhorn (sp?). Now, Chris Lincoln is brought in to try to revamp the station's sports department. Wonder how long he will want to put up with the grind of local sports? Very interesting move....

How true, Terry.  Most of the time these guys (and gals) are totally sideswiped, too - they never see it coming. 

I heard Rick Couri talking to Lincoln this AM about the Kentucky Derby, which Lincoln is apparently covering.  He mentioned that he used to be in Tulsa (before my day, and that's about 25 years), and is looking forward to returning.  In that interview I didn't catch where it was that he was going to be sports director, only that he was looking forward to coming back to Tulsa.

Do you remember when weatherman Jeff Lazalier was unceremoniously dumped by Channel 2  a few years ago?  He had no idea he was going to be fired, and didn't handle it very well - he was totally devastated.  I remember that his sister, who I don't think has any ORU connections, posted on our sports message board that if we liked Jeff and his broadcasts we should contact the station and ask for him to be returned to the air.  Remember that?

I thought Bunds was remarkably gracious in saying "I think Chris will be really good for Channel 8 sports."

"Honey" Bunds' contract was up.  Few will miss him.  The business is certainly cutthroat, but don't forget how Zig lost his gig to Bunds.  I think the local sports coverage is ripe for a takeover.  I live Jerkins, but he's past his prime.  Channel 6 does a decent job, but quite a few people question whether Holcomb should have the OSU gig and then try to cover OSU sports for KOTV -- and Dean Blevins is a liability for that show with the Tulsa market.  KTUL has the resources to compete and Bunds was just never going to get it done.  I'm impressed with the move.

I agree with most of your post, but I wonder how Lincoln will handle the fast pace of reporting on

local sports and still making the 10:20pm time slot.  How often have we seen Big AL, Zig and others

on the sidelines until 9:00-9:15 and then see him on the news.  I think the pace of local sports coverage is going to be far different from the executive chair he has spent most of the last 20 years in.  Bunds was a decent no#2, but had no business as the front guy.   

I'm afraid that Bunds demonstrates the concept of the Peter Principle.... Probably a nice guy but not a good fit for the anchor role. I'm surprised that his co-hort is still there. Talk about amateur.

Reuben has improved with time.  Anyway, local backup sports guys are like backup catchers in basebal.  You accept the lack of production and look forward to your main guy coming back.  The only really good backup I can think of was John Anderson... funny to think how that all played out.