Current RPI

Bogus Smith

It's a little depressing watching what's happening to our RPI in conference play.  One of my boys asked me about our RPI yesterday - at that time I didn't know, but now that I do I hate to tell him!

If you think the baseball RPI is affected this year, when there are only 6 Mid-Con baseball teams, and therefore 20 Mid-Con regular season games plus 3-5 Mid-Con tourney games (hopefully only 3 which would mean no ORU losses) for a best case scenario of 23 Mid-Con games (unless there are rainouts), just wait for next year.

While we lose Valpo, I believe that SDSU, NDSU, and IPFW each have baseball teams, so the number of regular season games, assuming that we keep the current 4-game per weekend format, will increase to 28, plus 3-5 games again in the Mid-Con tourney for a best case scenario (barring rainouts) of 31 Mid-Con games.

The same thing will happen in basketball RPI when we add 4 additional conference games.

It is tough for the northern schools to recruit and compete due to weather issues which result in less practice time before the season starts, more road games in the south to start out the season, etc. 

When we had bad weather at the beginning of this season, we lost 6 straight to Texas and Baylor because we had very little opportunity to practice prior to the season.  So I sympathize with the predicament of the northern schools.

But of course that can also be a blessing for ORU, because that has contributed to our ability to consistently make the NCAA baseball tournament. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mid-Con (with SDSU, NDSU, and IPFW)

ORU - 57

SDSU - 184

Western Ill. - 232

Centenary - 249

Valpo - 252

Oakland -267

NDSU - 270

Southern Utah - 281

IPFW - 288

How does SDSU go 31-15 and have an RPI of 215 (out of 293 schools)?  I don't think that there is a current or future Mid-Con team that is north of 200 in the RPI.  OUCH!!  Surely, someone can afford to spend 11.7 scholarships on baseball besides ORU (and we don't even get THAT many next season)!!

We lost 3 out of 4 up in Fargo (by a total of 3 runs), in those rivalry type games anything is possible, and that killed our RPI.  Never should have lost to the Bison.  :cry:  :x  :cry:

ORU - 50

SDSU - 215

Western Ill. - 232

NDSU - 241

Centenary - 261

Oakland - 269

Valpo - 270

Southern Utah - 272

IPFW - 292

P.S.  SDSU currently has 7 Baseball Scholarships up from 4 when we were D-II.

If you think the baseball RPI is affected this year, when there are only 6 Mid-Con baseball teams, and therefore 20 Mid-Con regular season games plus 3-5 Mid-Con tourney games (hopefully only 3 which would mean no ORU losses) for a best case scenario of 23 Mid-Con games (unless there are rainouts), just wait for next year.

While we lose Valpo, I believe that SDSU, NDSU, and IPFW each have baseball teams, so the number of regular season games, assuming that we keep the current 4-game per weekend format, will increase to 28, plus 3-5 games again in the Mid-Con tourney for a best case scenario (barring rainouts) of 31 Mid-Con games.

I'm heard that starting next year the league will be dropping down to a three game series instead of four.  That would put us at 21 Summit games, much more manageable RPI-wise than 28.

We lost 3 out of 4 up in Fargo (by a total of 3 runs), in those rivalry type games anything is possible, and that killed our RPI.  Never should have lost to the Bison.  :cry:  :x  :cry:

ORU - 50

SDSU - 215

Western Ill. - 232

NDSU - 241

Centenary - 261

Oakland - 269

Valpo - 270

Southern Utah - 272

IPFW - 292

With the sweep over WIU, we have gone to #44 on the RPI list while elevating WIU to #230.  As an aside, SDSU drops to #219 with their three loses this weekend. 

A win or two by WIU to the other Mid-Con teams in the Conference Tournament (and a couple of loses to ORU, of course)  may get WIU in the #2 spot of the poll above.

With the sweep over WIU, we have gone to #44 on the RPI list while elevating WIU to #230.  As an aside, SDSU drops to #219 with their three loses this weekend. 

A win or two by WIU to the other Mid-Con teams in the Conference Tournament (and a couple of loses to ORU, of course)  may get WIU in the #2 spot of the poll above.

We didn't lose any games this weekend.  As a matter of fact we have run off two sweeps (IPFW - 4 games and Northern Colorado - 2 games) since the three lose weekend in Fargo (May 4-6).  Up next for us is the NCAA D-I Independent Championships.  We kick things off with New York Tech. on May 23 in Orem, UT.

Here is a link to our Baseball page if you want to dig deeper:

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Varsi ... /Index.cfm

Best of luck to the Eagles in the Mid-Con Championships.  Looking forward to next season in the Summit League with you guys.

Sorry for mix-up, Rabbit.  When I looked at the RPI on Friday and noted it above in a earlier post here, SDSU had a record of 31-15 and now it is showing your record as 31-18.  I was thinking that there were 3 losses this weekend based on their information and, thus, the cause in your drop in ranking.

Today we're up to #42 ... four spots higher than the Pokes!

Rk.  Team

42  Oral Roberts (37-15)

43  Creighton (40-13)

44  UCLA (29-24)

45  Auburn (31-25)

46  Oklahoma State (38-16)

Maybe the RPI isn't all it is cracked up to be.  The Jackrabbits blew away a New York Tech team that was 33 spots higher then us.  :wink::lol:

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/NewsD ... Id=46,6032

Jackrabbits erupt in tourney opener

OREM, Utah ? South Dakota State erupted for 10 runs in the first inning, including a grand slam by Cal Lewis, to win the opening game of the Division I Independent Baseball Tournament, 19-4, over New York Tech Wednesday afternoon at Wolverine Baseball Stadium.

The Jackrabbits won for the seventh consecutive time to improve to 32-18. NYIT dropped to 23-26.  .  .  .  (read more)

The Jackrabbits take on former Mid-Con whipping-boy Chicago State in their second game of the tournament.

The Cougars are a sparkling 4-49 and ranked in the Bottom 10 of the baseball RPI...

...but one of those 4 wins came at #102 Tulane last week!

The Jackrabbits take on former Mid-Con whipping-boy Chicago State in their second game of the tournament.

The Cougars are a sparkling 4-49 and ranked in the Bottom 10 of the baseball RPI...

...but one of those 4 wins came at #102 Tulane last week!

Jacks win big again!  8-)

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/NewsD ... Id=46,6042

SDSU strikes big again at Independent Tournament

OREM, Utah ? Korby Mintken and Tony Martin each homered twice and drove in six runs as the South Dakota State University baseball team?s offensive onslaught continued Thursday in a 20-2 victory over Chicago State (Ill.) at the Division I Independent Tournament.

Matt Bowman pitched his fifth complete game of the season for the Jackrabbits, who improved to 33-18 overall with their eighth consecutive victory. Chicago State dropped to 4-51.  .  .  .  (read more)

Wow, you guys had a big win today as well!  :-o  Best of luck with the rest of your season.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/NewsD ... Id=46,6043

Jacks stay unbeaten in Independent Tournament

OREM, Utah ? Craig Parry went 4-for-4 with a double, home run and three runs batted in to lead South Dakota State to an 11-6 victory over the University of Northern Colorado at the Division I Independent Baseball Tournament Friday morning.

The Jackrabbits ran their record to 3-0 in the tournament and 34-18 for the season. SDSU will meet NJIT this afternoon to close out tournament play. UNC dropped to 15-35 overall, losing all six meetings this season to the Jackrabbits.  .  .  . (read more)

Today we're up to #42 ... four spots higher than the Pokes!

Rk.  Team

42   Oral Roberts (37-15)

43   Creighton (40-13)

44   UCLA (29-24)

45   Auburn (31-25)

46   Oklahoma State (38-16)

Today, ORU has moved up to #39 while OSU, with their 9th inning meltdown against OU last night, drop to #48.  It will really be interesting what happens with OU and OSU in their selection/seeding on Monday.

ORU ends the regular season at #38 based on Boyd's World.  Other teams of interest:

Rice                    1

Texas A&M          9

Ole Miss            13

Mizzou              15

Arkansas           16

Clemson            19

WSU                20

Arizona            21 (40-15)

OU                    27

TCU                  30

K-State             35 (probably not in the tournament, but would be a good future home/home series)

OSU                  53

UTSA                 67 (why aren't we playing these guys - would make a good home series)

Gonzaga            75 (they have some open dates in 2008 and are willing to travel)

New Orleans    87  (37-24)

Dallas Baptist   113 (they have a tournament in Frisco 2/28/08 that needs teams - good road trip for us)

SDSU               215

WIU                 239

NDSU               247

Centenary        250

Valpo               267

Oakland            271

SUU                 280

IPFW                289

Congrats, rabbit.  Hope you guys win the thing!

http://www.gojacks.com/

Jacks declared Independent Tournament champions

Using tie-breaking criteria, South Dakota State was declared the champion of the 2007 Division I Independent Baseball Tournament played May 23-26 in Orem, Utah.

SDSU and host Utah Valley State each finished with 3-1 records, but the Jackrabbits outscored the two teams' common opponents by 30 runs, while UVSC held a 16-run differential. The two tournament leaders did not face each other in the tournament.  .  .  . (read more)

SDSU and host Utah Valley State each finished with 3-1 records, but the Jackrabbits outscored the two teams' common opponents by 30 runs, while UVSC held a 16-run differential. The two tournament leaders did not face each other in the tournament.  .  .  . (read more)

You outscored your opponents by thirty runs!?!  Holy cow, rabbit, that sounds like total domination to me!  Congratulations to the Jackrabbits on a successful season, and an even better post- season tournament.  We're looking forward to playing you guys next season.