Sutton to stay at ORU (TulsaWorld.com)

Mike Minyard

Sutton to stay at ORU

By Mike Brown, World Sports Writer

4/11/2007  3:52 PM

World sports editor Mike Strain's blog: "Frankly, Wichita State was the perfect match if Sutton was looking to move on."

Oral Roberts basketball coach Scott Sutton withdrew from consideration for the vacant coaching position at Wichita State.

Sutton canceled a trip to Wichita on Wednesday morning and notified officials at both schools of his intention to stay with the Golden Eagles.

"After careful thought and several conversations with my family, I have decided that it is in my best interests to withdraw from the search at Wichita State," Sutton said in an ORU release.

Sutton had emerged as a leading candidate to replace Mark Turgeon at the WSU helm. Turgeon was named Tuesday as Texas A&M's new head coach.

WSU officials contacted Sutton Tuesday, the ORU release said.

Sources said the Shockers wanted Sutton to interview in Dallas and planned to offer him the job at that time if all went well.

But Sutton balked on the Dallas trip and said he wanted to see the WSU campus. He was supposed to leave Tulsa at around 11

a.m. Wednesday, but changed his mind shortly before and notified athletic directors at both schools of his decision.

"I love it here," Sutton added. "This is my home. My family and I love ORU and we love Tulsa. President (Richard) Roberts, (Athletics Director) Mike Carter and everyone else at the university make this a wonderful place to work. We've accomplished a lot in the last several seasons, and I'm looking forward to what the future holds."

The Golden Eagles were 23-11 last season and advanced to their second consecutive NCAA Tournament after winning the Mid-Continent Conference Tournament title. Sutton has guided ORU to three straight Mid-Con regular-season championships, and is 144-102 in his ORU coaching career.

"We're obviously thrilled that Scott has decided to remain at ORU," said Carter. "He's a big part of our athletic family, and we look forward to watching our men's basketball program continue to grow under his leadership and guidance."

Sutton's big decision - 4/11/2007 6:07:00 PM

Mike Strain's blog

Link

ORU?s Scott Sutton pulled his name from consideration for the Wichita State job. Sutton said he canceled a trip for an interview Wednesday morning.

Although Sutton wouldn't confirm this, apparently he was the Shockers? top candidate and might have been offered the job Wednesday night. Now, it seems highly unlikely he will leave ORU any time soon, if ever.

Wichita State appeared to be the perfect opportunity if Sutton was looking to climb the coaching ranks. It?s a place that?s not a giant leap from the Mid-Con, but the Missouri Valley is clearly a higher echelon of basketball. Sutton probably would have doubled his salary, and the league provides a jumping off point to even bigger jobs.

Additionally, a move to Wichita State would have kept Sutton close to family. Sutton has three daughters, and it?s always a good thing to keep the little ones close to grandma and grandpa. Sutton could have done that at Wichita.

Frankly, Wichita State was the perfect match if Sutton was looking to move on, and some will probably think he's crazy. But Sutton's decision makes sense to me for a few reasons:

1) Sutton says he loves living in Tulsa and loves working for ORU. There's something to be said for enjoying life, and it seems Sutton has that here. If he's happy, why should he leave?

2) It seems unlikely that Sutton will face intense pressure at ORU, but he could face that in other jobs. He appears to have support from his administration, and that can never be underestimated for anyone (coaches or otherwise).

3) Sutton thinks he can build on ORU's success. There's still a challenge here.

Every now and then, people have big decisions that will determine the course of their lives. Sutton had a big one Wednesday, and he made a choice: He will be in Tulsa for a while.

Hopefully, if he has a rough season or two, ORU?s leadership will remember this day.