• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• Old Titan

• vcboy2000

Terry, in case you want to fix the link, that one goes to the second page of the article - took me a minute to figure out what was going on.

All I could think of while reading that article is how tough it must be to have your future resting in the hands of ninteen year olds.

All I could think of while reading that article is how tough it must be to have your future resting in the hands of ninteen year olds.

True - but the other guy is being dealt from the same deck of nineteen-year-olds.

It just helps to be the one "holding the cards".

Or, if you got nothin' - knowing how to bluff/coach.

But before I start singing old Kenny Rogers songs, there's this:  an old cliche' I've heard a lot lately is that each year, all other things being equal, a college coach stands to lose 10% of his support from the school's fans, making anything beyond a 10-year stay something akin to a miracle.

Scott Sutton is entering Year No. 9 at ORU.

Could be argued that he's never been more popular among the ORU faithful, and even among some of the program's critics.

I guess producing better results every single season for eight years might tend to dispel the "10% Annual Slippage" rule! :-D

Here is a link to Sportsline.com that is tracking open coaching positions:

Link

Man, there are a lot of open positions.... I notice that the San Diego job is open. Didn't we lose a kid (Clinton Houston)to them in the early signing period? Wonder if he wants to change his mind? With a change in coaching he is free to do so.

Technically - if they give him his release.  It's all up to the school.  OU has had that sort of thing happen recently in both baseball and basketball, with no set policy:  for baseball, they  refused to grant some releases after Sunny Golloway took over. But for basketball, Jeff Capel gave releases to three incoming players, including Villanova super-frosh Scottie Reynolds, and the James kid who is now starring at Texas...

That is such a good point, OT.  I liked your stat on another thread - seeds 10 - 16 were 2-26 this weekend.  It's SO easy, when the moment your team's name is called the announcer starts in predicting the upset, and many others do as well, for hopes to be set a little higher than reality dictates. 

There is no way our schedule should be viewed as anything other than a great success.  With regards to what it takes for low seeds to win in the NCAA tournament, I was thinking about this the other day - Valpo has made a run of seven trips to the NCAA tournament.  How many games did they win in that run?  Or even more to the point, how many tournaments did they have wins in?  Obviously, the answer to the first question is two, than answer to the second is one.  It IS tough to win a game there, particularly as a low seed. 

And indeed, that one year a lot of things went our way to make it to the Sweet Sixteen.  An unbelievable set of good fortune when you think about it, starting with an All-American missing 2 FTs with 4.1 seconds to go, and then the ball going out of bounds off the Ole Miss player instead of the Valpo player.  Then add in FSU dumping 5th seed TCU and URI dumping 1 seed Kansas.

We REALLY got lucky, no question about it.

And will someone please explain to me what "You make your own luck" means?  I hear it so often (from the White Sox TV announcers, for example) and I've never understood it.

I can see saying that you have to be ready to take advantage of it when it comes along, but that's different.

And indeed, that one year a lot of things went our way to make it to the Sweet Sixteen.  An unbelievable set of good fortune when you think about it, starting with an All-American missing 2 FTs with 4.1 seconds to go, and then the ball going out of bounds off the Ole Miss player instead of the Valpo player.  Then add in FSU dumping 5th seed TCU and URI dumping 1 seed Kansas.

We REALLY got lucky, no question about it.

And will someone please explain to me what "You make your own luck" means?  I hear it so often (from the White Sox TV announcers, for example) and I've never understood it.

I can see saying that you have to be ready to take advantage of it when it comes along, but that's different.

Running "Pacer" to perfection didn't hurt though!

I would suggest that "making your own luck" means not making mistakes in crunch time, and taking advantage of mistakes the other guy makes (like running "Pacer" when they miss two free throws with 4.1 seconds left!)

Indiana State pares down its list of men's basketball coaching candidates

ChampSearch getting paid $10,000 for services

By Todd Golden

The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE ? Indiana State Director of Athletics Ron Prettyman confirmed Tuesday that he will pare his list of 10 candidates for the ISU men?s basketball coaching position down to three or four finalists. Prettyman finished the first round of interviews on Tuesday.

The finalists will meet with Prettyman and with members of ISU?s administration early next week.

?There?s a pretty strong line of demarcation with the top four people,? said Prettyman, who declined to confirm who he has talked to or who the finalists are.

Current ISU assistant Greg Lansing interviewed for the position, and there are strong indications that Creighton assistant Kevin McKenna and Indiana assistant Ray McCallum were also interviewed.

Lansing declined to comment about the job when reached on a recruiting trip Tuesday night. Phone calls and e-mails to McKenna and McCallum were not returned by press time.

Other names rumored to be connected with the position, though none have been confirmed, include Western Kentucky assistant Jeff Strohm, Oral Roberts coach Scott Sutton, former Bowling Green coach Dan Dakich and Southern Indiana coach Rick Herdes.

One name to remove is Southern California assistant Bob Cantu who applied for the job, but who no longer believes he?s under consideration.

?I think it?s a great job and I was very interested,? said Cantu, who helped the Sweet 16-bound Trojans recruit prized Ohio star O.J. Mayo. ?I think I was originally on the short list, but it sounds to me that they want to go with guys they now with Midwest ties, at least that?s what I?ve heard from the firm handling their search.?

The firm Cantu refers to is ChampSearch. Prettyman also confirmed Tuesday that ISU is paying ChampSearch $10,000 for its services.

Prettyman has known David and Dana Pump ? the founders of ChampSearch ? since he was athletic director at Cal State-Dominguez Hills, where the Pump brothers stage some of their lucrative summer camps and tournaments.

Prettyman?s relationship is one reason why ISU was able to use ChampSearch at a bargain rate. The University of Tennessee paid ChampSearch $25,000 to help find Bruce Pearl in 2005.

Dana Pump, Executive Vice President of Basketball for ChampSearch, cited mutual respect in his relationship with Prettyman.

?He used to be at Cal State-Dominguez Hills, so we had a relationship when he was in Los Angeles. He knows that our work speaks for itself,? Pump said.

Mississippi, Nebraska, New Mexico State, Fairfield, Army and Wisconsin-Milwaukee are among the schools who have used ChampSearch in past searches. Dana Pump said San Diego and Wyoming are currently clients of the firm.

?ChampSearch probably brought three of out my final group of 10,? Prettyman said. ?But even the ones I did know, they also knew and give me more input, and they put me in touch with people who knew more about them.?

Prettyman said that the relationship has been one of mutual support. Prettyman presented ChampSearch with some names and vice versa. Prettyman noted that ChampSearch has turned out more positive in its background searches than negative, noting that two candidates he talked to that were ChampSearch connected he had no knowledge of.

Pump explained the process from ChampSearch?s end. Most of the work boils down to who the Pump brothers can network with in the business ? which is nearly everyone. The Pump?s camps and tournaments are must-see events for the majority of Division I coaches. The Pump?s also host a popular retreat for administrators and coaches.

?If I know someone that Ron doesn?t or vice versa, I?ll give him the information and the facts on a guy. We create a pool guys, weed out some guys, but ultimately it?s Ron?s decision,? Pump said. ?We find out what he?s looking for and through our contacts in the business ? and David and I have 20 years in the business ? we can find those things out.?

Pump eagerly cited his success stories ? Pearl, Reggie Theus at New Mexico State, Andy Kennedy at Mississippi and the late Maggie Dixon at Army. But in some circles, the Pump brothers have a negative reputation that precedes them.

Some critics were troubled by the Pump brothers alleged association with a ticket brokering business that helped coaches sell their Final Four tickets, a practice the NCAA has frowned upon and the Pump?s have said they are no longer involved in.

Others cite the Pump?s influence in the lucrative AAU teams, camps, and tournaments that have had a major influence over the college basketball landscape for better or worse. Teams pay in upwards of $500 to compete in the Pump?s elite-level tournaments.

Some critics have claimed that a ChampSearch-hired coach might be inclined to favor Pump-connected recruits or those connected with Adidas, the shoe company the Pump?s work with. As yet, there is no documented evidence that supports that.

?I have no idea why people react to us that way. I don?t have any idea,? said Pump, when asked why some have a negative reaction to their basketball enterprises. ?In any business, you people that don?t like you, who don?t know you, but I look at the institutions we?ve worked with and the success they?ve had. Our work in intercollegiate basketball speaks for itself.?

Pump believes the attractiveness of ISU?s job has not been lost on the candidates he?s talked to.

?You have tradition, you have Larry Bird, the ISU name is out there. The league is phenomenal, you lose one [starter] off your team and the facilities are pretty good. I think it?s a great job,? Pump said.

Running "Pacer" to perfection didn't hurt though!

I would suggest that "making your own luck" means not making mistakes in crunch time, and taking advantage of mistakes the other guy makes (like running "Pacer" when they miss two free throws with 4.1 seconds left!)

Well, that's fine, but the phrase itself is poorly stated, it seems to me.

You're right, of course, and it is noteworthy that we did what we had to do in crunch time.  I was focusing on the fact that with the possible exception of the game itself against FSU, the "luck" made us more than we made it (interpreted literally at least).  Even then, I'm not good enough to judge whether or not FSU was at their best for the 2nd round game or not.  The bottom line is what tmh and you said is absolutely the truth: it is REALLY hard for teams like ours to win even one game in the Dance.

My take on making your own luck is slightly different, and I had it all written out yesterday, but I wasn't sure if you were serious or not so I didn't post it.  But since you are, here's my opinion: making your own luck is putting yourself in a position to have things go your way.  In a basketball game, for instance, it would be the team that comes in better prepared, hustles more, maybe even is more confident.  Doing things that nudge "luck" in your direction.  How many times does it seem in a game that all the breaks go to the better team?  That's not luck, that's making your own luck.  That's my opinion.

A guy in England has spent the last ten years studying just this question.  Here's a link to an article about him:

How to Make Your Own Luck

Who was it that said, "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity"?

I would offer up the Boise State football playbook in the fourth quarter vs. Oklahoma as evidence... :cry:

My take on making your own luck is slightly different, and I had it all written out yesterday, but I wasn't sure if you were serious or not so I didn't post it.  But since you are, here's my opinion: making your own luck is putting yourself in a position to have things go your way.  In a basketball game, for instance, it would be the team that comes in better prepared, hustles more, maybe even is more confident.  Doing things that nudge "luck" in your direction.  How many times does it seem in a game that all the breaks go to the better team?  That's not luck, that's making your own luck.  That's my opinion.

Closer to what I was thinking.

I still don't know if I like the way it's phrased.  It's kind of hard to measure how much your nudging had to do with the "luck" appearing.  In my opinion, "luck" is a fickle adversary.

I think of it similarly to the way the Second Coming is described by Jesus: Like a thief in the night, you can't know when it is going to happen, you can't even make it happen.  But you CAN be prepared for it to happen.  The "Bridegroom's" appearance bears no causal relationship to the amount of frugality and oil-lamp stewardship exhibited by the wise bridesmaids (if it does, somebody is going to have to prove it to me in the text).  Nevertheless, the wise bridesmaids ARE commended.

I think what is called "making your own luck" is really "making the most of the luck that comes your way."  If there's any causal relationship between the nudging and the luck, what that relationship is remains a mystery to us.

That's my opinion.

Who was it that said, "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity"?

That's more like it.  Opportunity is completely beyond your control, but when it comes your way, you are responsible for being prepared to take advantage.

I would offer up the Boise State football playbook in the fourth quarter vs. Oklahoma as evidence... :cry:

Sorry, College Football references go in one ear and out the other with me. :|

Thanks for bringing this back up, OT - We Boiseans never tire of hearing it (although Fiesta Bowl wearables have been banned from Boise State spring football practice). :-D

ESPN is reporting that Steve Alford is moving from Iowa to New Mexico. He must really want to leave the Hawkeye State... they are reporting that New Mexico is struggling to reach a $500,000/year salary. He currently makes +$1 million at Iowa. Interesting... his contract at Iowa goes to 2011.

ESPN Link

Thanks for bringing this back up, OT - We Boiseans never tire of hearing it

Funny...Boiseans and Texans have this in common...

Alford has not done himself any favors up there at Iowa. Saved himself from getting fired. Lot of turnover in the Big Ten!!

Would someone like Turgeon move up the ladder to the Big Ten? Could be an interesting next few weeks.