* * * Head Coaching Jobs Watch * * *

Old Titan

If I'm not mistaken, I think we had something like this thread last season:  a place to post stories, rumors, theories, etc. regarding the many current college basketball head coaching vacancies, and how they might affect ORU, head coach Scott Sutton, and his staff.

Here's a link to a blog in The Albuquerque Tribune regarding the New Mexico Lobos job - Scott has already been mentioned here:

Albuquerque Tribune College Basketball Blog

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• Old Titan

• vcboy2000

Okay, let's list the positions that are open:

New Mexico

Utah

Minnesota

Indiana State

Michigan

UMKC

Colorado

That's what I can come up with off the top of my head. 

Dick Vitale is saying that Tubby Smith should escape Kentucky and move to Michigan....

Here is a link to Sportsline.com that is tracking open coaching positions:

Link

Man, there are a lot of open positions.... I notice that the San Diego job is open. Didn't we lose a kid (Clinton Houston)to them in the early signing period? Wonder if he wants to change his mind? With a change in coaching he is free to do so.

Great list, but Liberty isn't listed, and we already know that Hankins has been mentioned in relation to that job.

Great list, but Liberty isn't listed, and we already know that Hankins has been mentioned in relation to that job.

Exactly right, Tim. That tells you all you need to know about that job.  :-o

J/K!

The Michigan and New Mexico jobs will most likely go to current head coaches, which will in turn cause openings at presumably smaller, but succesful, schools (think Butler's coach going to Michigan, for example).  Plus, Tubby Smith may not be the only big-time college coach who may choose to go the NBA route:  Rick Pitino, John Calipari, and other "A-listers" have already been mentioned for pro jobs that may not open up for a while.

The domino effect could last for weeks - even months.

I know that Michael Jordan,  Bobcats President of Ops, said the Bernie Bikerstaff will not be back next year.

The Liberty AD seems to be a bit hard edged - or maybe the student paper misquoted him: Story Link

Not sure Hankins would want to take his family across the country for this job - unless he knew he was on the same page as the AD.

Wow! is all i can say after reading that article.

According to the Albuquerque Tribune blog, New Mexico's AD has requested, and received, permission to interview Winthrop head man Gregg Marshall.  Marshall is on a lot of short lists after taking Winthrop to so many NCAA tournaments the past decade.

Note:  Winthrop went to something like 7 NCAA tourneys before finally getting a win, and they had to earn an 11 seed before they could do it.  It ain't easy winning an NCAA game as a double-digit seed - you need a lot of things to go your way...

Note:  Winthrop went to something like 7 NCAA tourneys before finally getting a win, and they had to earn an 11 seed before they could do it.  It ain't easy winning an NCAA game as a double-digit seed - you need a lot of things to go your way...

That is such a good point, OT.  I liked your stat on another thread - seeds 10 - 16 were 2-26 this weekend.  It's SO easy, when the moment your team's name is called the announcer starts in predicting the upset, and many others do as well, for hopes to be set a little higher than reality dictates. 

There is no way our schedule should be viewed as anything other than a great success.  With regards to what it takes for low seeds to win in the NCAA tournament, I was thinking about this the other day - Valpo has made a run of seven trips to the NCAA tournament.  How many games did they win in that run?  Or even more to the point, how many tournaments did they have wins in?  Obviously, the answer to the first question is two, than answer to the second is one.  It IS tough to win a game there, particularly as a low seed. 

Our recent success, as OT has mentioned, has been driven largely by the stability of the coaching staff. Obviously, the evaluation and recruiting victories of Kent Tutt and Caleb Green were huge. But I would argue that they were a result of this coaching staff's hard work and cooperative effort. The staff's longevity and collegial relationship is more important than some realize.... especially in recruiting.

As they say in business: success breeds success. We are now reaping the benefit of Caleb Green, Ken Tutt, several Mid-Con championships and two trips to the NCAA's.

Do you remember Caleb Green's comments four years ago when he was asked why he had chosen ORU? (Paraphrasing) He turned the question around and said that he hoped when he left school, people would begin to say - Wow, you went to ORU? He wanted to turn perceptions around - and I think he has. Thanks Caleb!

Guest Rob Marshall

Looks like the Illinois State job is off the board . . .

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/b ... index.html

Janko's a close friend and former assistant coach at Vanderbilt to Kevin Stallings, who before taking the Vandy job in 1999, was the head coach at ... Illinois State (Stallings also was a former assistant coach at Purdue and Kansas). 

When Billy Gillispie left Self's staff at Illinois to become the head coach at UTEP in October 2002, Bill hired Tim away from Stallings and Vanderbilt to replace Gillispie at Illinois, and of course they later moved on to Kansas for the past four seasons.  Tim was on staff at Oklahoma State with Bill Self under Eddie Sutton.  Tim left to take over as head coach at North Texas about the time Self was coming to ORU.  Bill's career as a head coach prospered once he got ORU turned around while Tim obviously didn't have the same results at UNT.

Bottom line, Tim's a great guy and will do a terrific job at Illinois State.  Great opportunity for him and his family!

Guest Rob Marshall
It's SO easy, when the moment your team's name is called the announcer starts in predicting the upset, and many others do as well, for hopes to be set a little higher than reality dictates

Thank you, Tim, for pointing this out.  It's something I wanted to say all last week but did not to avoid the predictable attack of the wolves who are consistently poised to bash RM anytime he adds an honest, realistic and fair balanced perspective.  I'd be labeled as negative or pessimistically opposed to ORU if I said what you just said, so thank you for saying it.  :-D

Thank you, Tim, for pointing this out.  It's something I wanted to say all last week but did not to avoid the predictable attack of the wolves who are consistently poised to bash RM anytime he adds an honest, realistic and fair balanced perspective.  I'd be labeled as negative or pessimistically opposed to ORU if I said what you just said, so thank you for saying it.   :-D

Oh, cry me a river! :lol:

Here are the posting rules EVERYONE ELSE lives by (tongue planted firmly in cheek):

1. Posting something that's "honest, realistic, and fair-balanced" will probably get you kudos.

2. Posting something that's at best a back-handed compliment, or at worst just sounding your own horn, will probably get you flamed.

3. Feeling sorry for yourself when your opinion gets hammered - or worse, IGNORED - garners little, if any, sympathy.

4. Insulting those whose favor you curry seldom produces results.

Ah, the message board: "Excess Democracy" - at its finest! :-D