SDSU in to the WNIT

89rabbit

SDSU is the first ever transitional team to get an invite to the WNIT and we have a first round bye and host a second round game!

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Index.cfm

Jacks receive WNIT nod

The South Dakota State University women's basketball team has been awarded an at-large berth and first-round bye in the Women's NIT.

The Jackrabbits, 23-5 overall, are scheduled to play the winner of Illinois State and Rice (Texas). Game date and location is scheduled to be announced Tuesday. Illinois State and Rice are slated to play Thursday night in Normal, Ill.

WNIT brackets:

http://www.womensnit.com/Bracket%203-8-07.pdf

What a tremendous accomplishment for a school that is new to D-1 and an independent. Congrats!

Thanks!  Here is a story from the home state newspaper if you want to read more:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... /703130336

SDSU earns spot in national tourney

Team is first to make postseason in D-I

By Terry Vandrovec

tvandrovec@argusleader.com

Published: March 13, 2007

The confirmation came later than expected, but the achievement came sooner than most thought possible.

The South Dakota State women's basketball team, in only its third season at the NCAA Division I level, was selected Monday night to play in the Women's National Invitation Tournament, becoming the first program in the event's 10-year history to gain an invitation while making the transition from Division II and the first team in any sport in state history to qualify for a Division I postseason tournament.

One of 17 at-large picks in the 48-team field, the Jackrabbits (23-5) have a first-round bye before meeting the winner of Thursday's Rice (19-13) at Illinois State (20-10) game. According to the bracket posted on the WNIT Web site, SDSU, which submitted bids last week to entertain every round, will host a second-round contest at Frost Arena on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.  .  .  .  (read more)

Best of luck to ORU in the NCAA Tourney.

Quick update.  SDSU beat Ill. State to advance to the Sweet 16 of the WNIT.  The Jackrabbits will host the Indiana Hoosiers on Thursday.  The Jackrabbit Nation sold out Frost Arena in a little over 4 hours for this match up!  :-D

Here are a couple of pics from our game with ISU (also a sell out):

11830.jpg

Excellent, rabbit!  Congrats on a great accomplishment.  Good luck against those Hoosiers.  Hope the Jackrabbits send them packing!  ( I was trying to think of something clever having to do with rabbits, but nothing came to me!)

I hope you leave the Hoosiers 'hopping' mad at their loss..... sorry couldn't resist.

Great showing by SDSU - hope you guys go all the way.