TU beats Southeastern in OT...

Guest EagleBackr

Turek steadies herself

By LYNN JACOBSEN World Sports Writer

11/6/2005

Her brother serves as inspiration when she thinks life is tough.

Elisha Turek is a typical gym rat.

The Oral Roberts junior forward is the first one in the gym every day and the last one to leave.

Turek credits her work ethic to older brothers Josh and John.

"Growing up we played basketball in the driveway," the Oral Roberts junior forward said. "I had a basketball in my hands from my earliest memory."

Both brothers have served as inspiration for Turek.

Josh, the oldest, was born with spina bifida, a congenital birth defect. Using a wheelchair, Josh makes a living playing basketball in Spain. John recently completed his eligibility at the University of Nebraska and is playing basketball in Holland.

"Whenever I get down, I think of Josh and how different his life is and how easy my life is in comparison," Turek said.

The lessons learned in the driveway have remained.

"John showed me you have to work hard to get what you want," Turek said. "Josh showed me you can have fun doing it."

Hard work has never been a problem for the 6-foot-1 Turek.

"She's in the gym an hour and a half before practice every day," said ORU coach Jerry Finkbeiner.

Turek hopes to lead the Golden Eagles back to the NCAA Tournament.

"We got a little taste of it last year," she said. "We don't want to settle for just going to the tournament, we want to win a game or two."

Turek understands the uphill struggle that comes from a team playing in a mid-major conference. The Mid-Continent Conference receives one bid to the NCAA Tournament.

"That's why our focus is on the tournament rather than the regular conference title," Turek said.

Another lesson she learned was that anything worth doing is worth doing right.

"Josh always makes me do this free-throw drill where we shoot two each," Turek said. "If we miss we have to run suicides up and down the court. If we miss three in a row, we go up and down the court three times."

Has it helped her free-throw shooting?

"It's helped improve my running, I know that," she said with a laugh.

"Seriously, everything we did was a competition, from riding bikes to shooting free throws. I look back on it now and without (her brothers) I wouldn't be the player I am. Without them, I would play kind of girlie basketball. They made me tough."

As a sophomore, Turek led the Mid-Con in scoring (18.3) and rebounding (9.5) to earn first-team all-conference honors. This year she wants to be conference player of the year.

"I'm just trying to push myself even more," she said.

With 1,017 points and 578 rebounds in her first two seasons at ORU, Turek is on track to catching the school's career leaders in both categories. She needs 1,176 points and 430 rebounds to break both records.

Turek said she is ready for anything opponents throw at her this season. After all, her brothers have already taught her life's biggest lessons.

"I had to earn their respect," Turek said. "I think they have made me tougher. Now when I get into difficult situations, I can handle it. I've been through worse with my brothers."

PLAYER TO WATCH

Rachel Watman

5-8, freshman, point guard

Sydney, Australia

Watman is an excellent ball handler with good vision and quickness. She is capable of playing either guard position. She is a proven perimeter shooter who will be counted on early. In 2003 and 2004, she led her high school team to back-to-back national championships in Australia and was named 2004 MVP of the tournament.

Turek: How can you lead the league in both scoring and rebounding and not win playe of the year? Incredible!

Hey, there is some good stuff here. But readers might overlook it 'cause its hidden under a headline topic about TU barely winning their game. Suggestion: Please start a new post with a new topic.

Thanks!

:roll:

RKMarshall -

So who will YOU be rooting for on Dec. 3rd?

The navy or the royal? Just curious. You say "we" on the TU message boards and "we" on the ORU boards... just makes a person wonder.

Turek: How can you lead the league in both scoring and rebounding and not win playe of the year? Incredible!

I saw that too? The same thing happend at TU just last spring.

Jillian Robbins was leading the league in Points & Rebounds and some Freshman from LaTech grabs P.O.Y.

Come to find out there were politics involved. KMM had, so it was told, not been well liked by the leagues other coaches and they decided to punish JR by not letting her have the earned title.

I'm not saying this is the case with Turek, but it makes you wonder WHAZUP?!?

RKMarshall -

So who will YOU be rooting for on Dec. 3rd?

The navy or the royal? Just curious. You say "we" on the TU message boards and "we" on the ORU boards... just makes a person wonder.

Yeah, Marshall is a 'fontrunner'. Whoever wins, that HIS team. He's always been like that. :P

As far as his beloved Golden Hurricane, they may get their first L this weekend. If UCO plays well, they might beat TU at the Reynolds Center. If they do, it will be interesting to see the "spin" on the TU message board. After the SEOSU squeaker, there was almost ZERO negative talk.

Funny, because if it were JP's team last year, that almost got beat by the Savages, the fur would have been FLYING over there.

Guest Rob Marshall

Honestly, I don't like the Mayor's Cup match-up for a lot of great reasons. It would be like if Indiana played Texas Tech. I have many great memories and emotional attachments to both ORU and Tulsa, and honestly hate when either school loses.

I am a rare breed I know, but there really are quite a few people who are genuinely fans of both universities and I am proud to be one of them as I believe both universities are hugely important to the value and success of my home city. I realize there is much "bad blood" between the two schools, but I just choose not to participate in that because both places have been an important part of my life and for both I am grateful.

This year though, a loss hurts ORU WAY MORE than it would Tulsa, just as I thought a loss for TU last season would ultimately be the end of my friend John Phillips as the Hurricane head coach.

So who will I cheer for on December 3rd? I'd rather say I won't cheer AGAINST either team on that day, but given ORU's potential on the national scene this season, it is safe to assume that I would prefer the Golden Eagles to win as many games as possible including the TU game.

Guest Rob Marshall

Yeah, Marshall is a 'fontrunner'. Whoever wins, that HIS team. He's always been like that. :P

As far as his beloved Golden Hurricane, they may get their first L this weekend. If UCO plays well, they might beat TU at the Reynolds Center. If they do, it will be interesting to see the "spin" on the TU message board. After the SEOSU squeaker, there was almost ZERO negative talk.

Mikey. Mikey, Mikey ...

love ya, mean it ... but two things:

(A) what is a "FONTRUNNER"?

(B) Bill Self's first TU team lost to an exhibition opponent (Conono Oil) that ORU (Tim & Rocky) drilled by almost 40 points; just weeks later, Self and TU defeated ORU AT the Mabee Center.

Honestly, I don't like the Mayor's Cup match-up for a lot of great reasons. It would be like if Indiana played Texas Tech. I have many great memories and emotional attachments to both ORU and Tulsa, and honestly hate when either school loses.

I am a rare breed I know, but there really are quite a few people who are genuinely fans of both universities and I am proud to be one of them as I believe both universities are hugely important to the value and success of my home city. I realize there is much "bad blood" between the two schools, but I just choose not to participate in that because both places have been an important part of my life and for both I am grateful.

This year though, a loss hurts ORU WAY MORE than it would Tulsa, just as I thought a loss for TU last season would ultimately be the end of my friend John Phillips as the Hurricane head coach.

So who will I cheer for on December 3rd? I'd rather say I won't cheer AGAINST either team on that day, but given ORU's potential on the national scene this season, it is safe to assume that I would prefer the Golden Eagles to win as many games as possible including the TU game.

Wow! You got to be kidding? An ORU grad, worked at the Mabee Center and Athletic Dept. for years and after a few months working in the TU athletic dept., you say you don't know who you cheer for?

You better not let me find you on Dec. 3rd! I might have to open a can, on you!

Guest Rob Marshall

Mikey,

I knew about TU basketball and followed the Hurricane closely while growing up in Indiana before I'd actually ever even heard of ORU. During the late 70's and early 80's, I followed Missouri Valley basketball very closely and attended as many Indiana State games as possible, and my favorite Valley team was without question ... Tulsa (actually had some Tulsa gear even back then).

Do I want ORU to win the game on December 3rd? Yes, absolutely. Do I want Tulsa to lose? No, not really, but I definitely don't want ORU to lose to Tulsa or anyone on the schedule. I'm very excited about this ORU team because it is the most talented team (top to bottom of the roster) that ORU's arguably had going back to the Bontrager et al days of the late 70's.

Call me!

Mikey,

I knew about TU basketball and followed the Hurricane closely while growing up in Indiana before I'd actually ever even heard of ORU. During the late 70's and early 80's, I followed Missouri Valley basketball very closely and attended as many Indiana State games as possible, and my favorite Valley team was without question ... Tulsa (actually had some Tulsa gear even back then).

Do I want ORU to win the game on December 3rd? Yes, absolutely. Do I want Tulsa to lose? No, not really, but I definitely don't want ORU to lose to Tulsa or anyone on the schedule. I'm very excited about this ORU team because it is the most talented team (top to bottom of the roster) that ORU's arguably had going back to the Bontrager et al days of the late 70's.

Call me!

OK, OK. Point made.

By the way, when are you gonna 'hook a brother up'? All them honeys that you run with and I can even get a sniff!!!

Guest Rob Marshall

REMEMBER, I am a married man now. The "running with honeys" comment I suppose fairly comes from my reputation that was what it was, but I'm way past that now so please let there be NO confusion here. I absolutely love and adore my wife. I'm very blessed and very happily married.

However, I may still know a single female or two that might like to hear "THE VOICE" whispering "ONE, TWO, THHRRREEEE" in her ear. Not opposed to working on that for you, just call me. 8)

Over/Under until my phone rings? I say five minutes! :lol:

However, I may still know a single female or two that might like to hear "THE VOICE" whispering "ONE, TWO, THHRRREEEE" in her ear.

After that visualization....I think I'm going to be sick...

Guest Rob Marshall

Honest truth, Canada called me within five minutes (actually it was almost right at five minutes) after my post ... AND the funniest part is he didn't read the "over/under" portion of my post UNTIL after he had called! :wink:

Voice, Why is it that whenever you and I are talking, these"honies" always call you "Mr. ******" when they see you and speak to you?

:P

Reminds me of my Jr. High days. :D

BTW, good job at the Vball match Tuesday. That big Hitter of yours is something else. WOW. I was ducking everytime she hit one of those kills. :lol: