Women's Notebook - Tulsa World (3-5-2007)

ORUTerry

Women's Notebook:

Story Link

by LYNN JACOBSEN World Sports Writer

3/5/2007

Turek's totals: Elisha Turek became just the second player in Oral Roberts University women's basketball history to eclipse 2,000 points and 1,000 rebounds.

The only other ORU player to accomplish the feat was Vivian Herron, who had 2,192 points and 1,007 rebounds from 1985-89.

Turek went over 2,000 points when she grabbed an offensive rebound and putback at the 5:55 mark of the first half.

With her 14 points and 12 rebounds, Turek now has 2,007 points and 1,126 rebounds.

"I wasn't thinking about that at all," Turek said. "I was thinking about winning. I just want to keep playing. Looking back on it, it will be a nice honor."

Home-grown talent: UMKC features two Tulsa-area players in Tobey Beer (Sapulpa) and Heather Wimberly (Booker T. Washington) while ORU has three in-state players in Alycia Seay (Big Cabin), Jenny Hardin (Claremore) and Kelly Kindell (Schulter).

"It was great to have the hometown support," Hardin said. "The fans really helped us out."

Cold start: ORU was 1-for-6 with two turn overs in the first six minutes of the game.

"Our shots weren't falling," freshman Janae Voelker said. "We were hitting in spurts."

Spark plug: Voelker repeatedly proved to be the right person when ORU needed a stop, a rebound, a steal or a tough basket.

The 5-foot-11 guard who plays the low post like a 6-3 forward, was one of four players in double figures with 12 points.

She also had six rebounds, two steals and two assists.

Asked about her driven style of play, Voelker shrugged her shoulders and said, "Somebody had to do it, I guess."

No advantage: The Union Multipurpose Activity Center has been anything but an advantage for Oral Roberts' 3-point shooters.

ORU coach Jerry Finkbeiner noted that in the Golden Eagles' last two games at the UMAC, they are 4-for-38 from 3-point range.