Reality check for seniors - Tulsa World (3-3-2007)

ORUTerry

Reality check for seniors

Story Link

by LYNN JACOBSEN World Sports Writer

3/3/2007

ORU's Turek says she isn't ready for her career to end just yet

Reality has finally sunk in for Elisha Turek.

The Oral Roberts senior admits living in denial for most of the season. She just wasn't ready to look at the end of her collegiate career.

"Coach (Jerry Finkbeiner) started talking about boldness and confidence and I just took that to heart," Turek said. "Plus with Jenny (Hardin) getting hurt, I knew I had to step up more. And yes, it has sunk in. It's win or go home. I'm not ready to be finished yet."

Turek ends her career as only one of two players to be named a four-time all-conference first team selection.

The 2006-07 Mid-Con player of the year led the league in both scoring (17.8) and rebounding (10.3). Additionally, Turek moved into third place in scoring with 1,995 points and owns both the school and league rebound record of 1,121.

She dismisses her accolades saying, "I couldn't accomplish anything without my teammates."

Her accomplishments aren't lost on her coach.

"Elisha has raised her game over the past six contests," Finkbeiner said. "That is the sign of a marquee player."

The ORU coach said the game plan is simple.

"We have to bring our defensive A game," Finkbeiner said. "We have been so inconsistent offensively, but our mainstay has been our defense in our good wins. We have to bring that."

Turek likes the fact that the tournament is in Tulsa once again.

"It's incredibly nice having it here," she said. "The rowdies (ORU student fans) will be there. Plus, we get to stay in our routine. It makes it seem like just another game."

The senior forward likes the chemistry the Golden Eagles have formed over the past three weeks, winning five of their last six games.

"I think everyone is ready for this," Turek said. "We lost focus in the final game and lost to IUPUI. But we're so ready for the tournament that we looked past IUPUI.

That isn't an option beginning Sunday when third-seed Oral Roberts faces sixth-seed UMKC at 2:30 p.m.

"Losing in the first round last year is still fresh in our minds," Turek said. "The only way to get rid of that is to show people we are the best team in the Mid-Con."

ORU was the preseason favorite to win the conference. Turek said there was never any panic after the team dropped back-to-back home league openers to Valparaiso and Western Illinois. Four of ORU's 10 losses have come by three points or less and in the final seconds of the game.

"We learned something from each of those," Turek said. "Plus, Coach Fink does a really good job of preparing his team for tournament play. If we go out and play hard and play aggressive, we'll be fine."

Hardin averages 16.3 points per game and joins Turek as the only other player on the ORU roster to average double figures. She is just recently back from a broken foot and scored 20 points in 20 minutes against Centenary.

Janae Voelker moved from guard to forward to help shore up the low post in Hardin's absence.

"We've talked all season about needing a Claudia Louis-type player," Turek said of the former teammate known for her scrappy play. "Janae stepped into that role for us. Katie (Langford) is averaging four steals a game over the last few weeks and Davo (Sarah Davidson) has helped our perimeter game."

Davidson and Langford have combined to go 70-of-193 from beyond the 3-point line this season.

Finality is facing Turek and fellow seniors Alycia Seay, Ebony Haliburton, Jamie Fithian, Davidson and Langford.

"It's a reality check," Turek said. "The next game we lose will be the last time I play with all these girls. For some, it may be the last basketball game they play."

Lynn Jacobsen 581-8461

lynn.jacobsen@tulsaworld.com