TU Athletic Director

MrsSmith

Interesting read from the Tulsa World a week ago.  (I don't read the Tulsa World much anymore).  

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/tu/bill-haisten-as-rick-dickson-nears-retirement-tu-has-to-look-at-oru-s-tim/article_e356eb36-fe8c-11ee-9581-7385811227b2.html

Johnson is a 42-year-old Bartlesville native who attended Oklahoma State, received a law degree at the University of Arkansas and was an impactful assistant athletic director at Clemson.

At Oral Roberts University, Johnson became Mike Carter’s deputy athletic director in 2015. In 2021, Johnson succeeded Carter in the athletic director role and has been remarkably effective.

Not only did Johnson elevate that athletic department’s success levels in fund-raising and marketing, but he actually designed the Mike Carter Center — ORU’s remarkable new basketball practice facility on the south edge of the Mabee Center.

Having rallied ORU donors for an extensive renovation of the Golden Eagles’ baseball stadium, Johnson is blessed with the people-skill talent required in the fund-raising business. At Clemson, he raised a lot of money for Tiger football, and he was a difference-maker in that school’s campaign to raise $1 billion for various projects.

ORU would be sickened to lose Johnson to its crosstown rival, but Johnson should be Candidate No. 1 for the University of Tulsa’s athletic director position.

• Upvote 2

Can't get past the paywall but I get the jist.  He wrote pretty much the same column a year ago?!  Keep mailing it in Bill.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Haisten has been mailing it in for years....why should he change now. He throws darts at boards and now and then gets lucky... TheEagleman can't see this happening but in 2024 who can say what is reality when we have Joe Biden as President....🤪

Serious question... Outside of the increase in compensation, which is the better job?  While TU operates in a higher-level conference, they have not had much athletic success in a number of years, while ORU has earned some recent positive momentum with Sweet Sixteen and College World Series runs.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Serious question... Outside of the increase in compensation, which is the better job?  While TU operates in a higher-level conference, they have not had much athletic success in a number of years, while ORU has earned some recent positive momentum with Sweet Sixteen and College World Series runs.  

Would Bill Self still make the jump from ORU to TU if given the chance again???  🤔

• Haha 1

I guess they would say football.

But TU is the smallest FBS school and doesn’t really have a chance of winning anything significant.

• Upvote 2

Tim Johnson has the connections and opportunities to do much better than TU.  To use a football metaphor, he needs to be patient and wait for the hole to open up before he rushes through it.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I guess they would say football.

But TU is the smallest FBS school and doesn’t really have a chance of winning anything significant.

Is football really a plus?  I can see how some would look at it that way but at TU's level I look at it as a negative.  It is expensive and creates a lot of Title IX challenges.  Take the cost of running a football program and add to that the cost of the women's programs required to balance out the male/female and that's a lot to juggle.  I make these statements with absolute ignorance of the revenue Tulsa gets from whatever TV contract their conference has.

3 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Is football really a plus?  I can see how some would look at it that way but at TU's level I look at it as a negative.  It is expensive and creates a lot of Title IX challenges.  Take the cost of running a football program and add to that the cost of the women's programs required to balance out the male/female and that's a lot to juggle.  I make these statements with absolute ignorance of the revenue Tulsa gets from whatever TV contract their conference has.

With the changes to Title IX now, you just have to find the guys that want to identify and hang out with the girls and you have the problem solved. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Bogus Smith said:

With the changes to Title IX now, you just have to find the guys that want to identify and hang out with the take scholarships away from the girls and you have the problem solved. 🤷‍♂️

Fixed it for you.  

Don't get me started on this nonsense.  As the father of a born female college athlete I have very strong opinions on this topic.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

Fixed it for you.  

Don't get me started on this nonsense.  As the father of a born female college athlete I have very strong opinions on this topic.

As do I, and I have two sons.  The thing is that we are enabling this type of behavior as they hide behind  their freedom for their "own truth".  We all know that there is only one Truth. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Bogus Smith said:

As do I, and I have two sons.  The thing is that we are enabling this type of behavior as they hide behind  their freedom for their "own truth".  We all know that there is only one Truth. 🤷‍♂️

If you aren't already following her, Riley Gaines is a great follow on Twitter as she advocates for the rights of women in sports.

• Upvote 2

Agreed.  She was in Tulsa recently and she has invested herself heavily in this subject for the benefit of all women's sports.  There are several sane people out there that are attempting to protect women's sports, but they aren't in the higher ed ranks or in the NCAA.