ORU at SDSU

TrueBlue82

The three teams closest to ORU in the Summit standings (of which ORU would need to leapfrog at least two of the three to qualify for the Summit tournament) are Northern Colorado, SDSU and Omaha. ORU’s next three series are coincidentally against SDSU (road), Omaha (home) and Northern Colorado (home). It is not too late for ORU to make a run, but the time is NOW…

Adam said that St Thomas is not eligible for the tournament so we only need to be 5th.  Anyone know for sure?

If St. Thomas is not eligible then we only have to overcome one team as it currently stands and that is Northern Colorado who is 7-10-1 in the Summit while we are 5-12-1.  SDSU is 9-8 and Omaha is 10-8.  On paper overcoming one team to get into the SL Tourney is NOT too high of a bar to get over.  Actually, if we can not achieve that we do not deserve to be in the Tourney.  This year is a massive failure on so many levels.

sl

• Upvote 1

Playoff Scenarios (12 Games Left) ORU (5-12-1) UNC (7-10-1)

ORU holds tiebreaker with 2-0-1 series lead and run differential

ORU Eliminated if:

UNC Goes 12-0

UNC Goes 11-1

UNC Goes 10-2 and ORU doesn’t go 12-0

UNC Goes 9-3 and ORU doesn’t go at least 11-1

UNC Goes 8-4 and ORU doesn’t go at least 10-2

UNC Goes 7-5 and ORU doesn’t go at least 9-3

UNC Goes 6-6 and ORU doesn’t go at least 8-4

UNC Goes 5-7 and ORU doesn’t go at least 7-5

UNC Goes 4-8 and ORU doesn’t go at least 6-6

UNC Goes 3-9 and ORU doesn’t go at least 5-7

UNC Goes 2-10 and ORU doesn’t go at least 4-8

UNC goes 1-11 and ORU doesn’t go at least 3-9

UNC goes 0-12 and ORU doesn’t go at least 2-10

54 minutes ago, 808eagle said:

Playoff Scenarios (12 Games Left) ORU (5-12-1) UNC (7-10-1)

ORU holds tiebreaker with 2-0-1 series lead and run differential

ORU Eliminated if:

UNC Goes 12-0

UNC Goes 11-1

UNC Goes 10-2 and ORU doesn’t go 12-0

UNC Goes 9-3 and ORU doesn’t go at least 11-1

UNC Goes 8-4 and ORU doesn’t go at least 10-2

UNC Goes 7-5 and ORU doesn’t go at least 9-3

UNC Goes 3-9 and ORU doesn’t go at least 5-7

UNC Goes 2-10 and ORU doesn’t go at least 4-8

UNC goes 1-11 and ORU doesn’t go at least 3-9

UNC goes 0-12 and ORU doesn’t go at least 2-10

These are the most likely scenarios:

We need to be better than .500 for the rest of the season to have a chance and help from UNC.

• Upvote 2

Sad but true Bogus.  Thanks for “roadmapping” it for us.

Today's game against SDSU postponed, will play double-header tomorrow. No indication why. I checked weather in Brookings and the report said a high of about 55 degrees and a small chance of rain both days. 

I saw on Twitter that the field was unplayable which I assumed was the case 250-275 days a year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tmh8286 said:

Today's game against SDSU postponed, will play double-header tomorrow. No indication why. I checked weather in Brookings and the report said a high of about 55 degrees and a small chance of rain both days. 

Little chance of getting three games in this weekend. Tomorrow should be tolerable, but Sunday’s forecast is a high of 49 and 75% chance of precipitation. And, I would surmise that SDSU has absolutely NO desire to “make a significant effort” to play these games against ORU. With their significant lead over ORU at the moment, the risk of losing is not worth the reward of winning.  

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the Summit League!

• Upvote 1

…which is why all these well-intended and painfully-researched playoff scenarios are possibly mere academic exercises:  teams in the Summit League rarely finish the season with the same number of games played. 

If I recall correctly, NDSU won the regular season title in 2022 (and the right to host in 2023) by having the highest winning percentage, and benefited from a number of critical games on their schedule never being played due to weather. 

SDSU should forfeit if field is unplayable. This is not Little League its D-1....right??🤔

• Upvote 1

South Dakota (and all Summit League teams) need to invest in the appropriate equipment to administer a D-1 baseball program.  This includes a tarp big enough to cover the infield and pitcher's mound and home plate area, light standards for when the game may go long, and turf equipment to make fields playable after inclement weather.  These should be minimum standards for teams to maintain their competitive levels.  After all, what good is a woke school with their diversity, equality and inclusion if they aren't going to be equal in their intercollegiate athletics??? 🤔 

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

South Dakota (and all Summit League teams) need to invest in the appropriate equipment to administer a D-1 baseball program.  This includes a tarp big enough to cover the infield and pitcher's mound and home plate area, light standards for when the game may go long, and turf equipment to make fields playable after inclement weather.  These should be minimum standards for teams to maintain their competitive levels.  After all, what good is a woke school with their diversity, equality and inclusion if they aren't going to be equal in their intercollegiate athletics??? 🤔 

What's really interesting about your question, Bogus, is that I thought such standards were already in place - but then, the failure of the Dakotas to provide playable conditions with their facilities over a period of years proves that I was wrong.

On 4/26/2024 at 8:53 AM, MrsSmith said:

Adam said that St Thomas is not eligible for the tournament so we only need to be 5th.  Anyone know for sure?

I just heard the SDSU play-by-play guy confirm that the Tommies are not eligible for the conference baseball tournament.  I suppose the reason that UST is eligible for the basketball tourney is that ALL teams qualify for the tournament, so the Tommies participation does not exclude another eligible school from the opportunity to earn an NCAA Tournament bid. Since only four teams qualify for the baseball tourney, the Tommies won’t be at JLJ for the tourney in late May.  

With this information, I’m now feeling much more confident about ORU qualifying for the tourney, especially with a three game series at home with Northern Colorado in two weeks.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I hope Adam is correct that St. Thomas can't play in the baseball tournament. They were able to play in the basketball tournament even though not eligible for the NCAA tournament. Is baseball any different?

From Summit League Site - It doesn't say that St. Thomas can't play.

"The 2024 Summit League Baseball Championship will take place May 22-25 at J.L. Johnson Stadium in Tulsa, Okla. The top four teams at the conclusion of the regular season advance to the tournament. The winner of the Summit League Championship receives the league's automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament."

Strong start to the DH as Good Guys are kicking A$$ in game one....up 12-4 in the 8th and seven solid innings from J. Hall.....3 bombs so far and help from SDSU pitching with 8 walks....GO BLUE!!! :tb-white:

ORU finishes off the Jacks 16-4 in Game one......15 hits and need the bats to stay hot as the home team had to go thru their bullpen in the opener....4-5 for Stahl w/3 RBI....LaLiberte 3-4 with 5 RBI and Breeze with a couple hits and 5 RBI....we really need to take this series and would be nice to get a sweep today while SDSU is reeling....Let's do it!!   :tb-blue:

• Upvote 2