New Title IX Guidelines

Boris93

Such a thorny subject no one wants to answer.

9 hours ago, Boris93 said:

New Title IX Guidelines.

Any thoughts how this will affect ORU and our women's sports?

https://19thnews.org/2024/04/biden-administration-new-title-ix-regulations/

It will have NO affect on ORU.  First of all, no one is going to recruit a transgender student in the athletic department.  As for intermurals and bathrooms, no one on campus would allow that to happen consistently.  In a semi-public building like the Mabee Center or CityPlex Towers, there may be an outsider or their customer that would attempt to use a bathroom that is not their biological gender, but it would not be tolerated well, if at all.

If someone brought a civil action against the university, the University would unfortunately have to spend the time and dollars to defend themselves.  However, with the current makeup of SCOTUS, no one would be able to get past the first amendment rights of the religious liberty aspects of ORU and ORU would ultimately prevail in any case, which may cause the losing party to pay an exorbitant amount of attorney fees.  If SB 1737 is not vetoed by Governor Stitt later this month and becomes law, then recovering ones legal fees on a frivolous lawsuit may not be possible and we would have spent a lot of money that could have gone to educating students.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

It will have NO affect on ORU.  First of all, no one is going to recruit a transgender student in the athletic department.  As for intermurals and bathrooms, no one on campus would allow that to happen consistently.  In a semi-public building like the Mabee Center or CityPlex Towers, there may be an outsider or their customer that would attempt to use a bathroom that is not their biological gender, but it would not be tolerated well, if at all.

If someone brought a civil action against the university, the University would unfortunately have to spend the time and dollars to defend themselves.  However, with the current makeup of SCOTUS, no one would be able to get past the first amendment rights of the religious liberty aspects of ORU and ORU would ultimately prevail in any case, which may cause the losing party to pay an exorbitant amount of attorney fees.  If SB 1737 is not vetoed by Governor Stitt later this month and becomes law, then recovering ones legal fees on a frivolous lawsuit may not be possible and we would have spent a lot of money that could have gone to educating students.

This is good feedback.  I'm just hopeful that our women's teams will not be forced to play against biological men.  I'm thankful that ORU protects our girls, including one of mine currently attending!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Boris93 said:

This is good feedback.  I'm just hopeful that our women's teams will not be forced to play against biological men.  I'm thankful that ORU protects our girls, including one of mine currently attending!

I don't think that ORU can protect our teams against woke institutions, but I would like to think that we would put our team's safety over any decision for a win/loss if an opponent's team member were too physical on the playing field or court.

• Like 1