St. Thomas at ORU

theeagleman5

Cannot hit, cannot catch, cannot field, cannot pitch, this is hard to watch.  Sad, really really sad, and we are well on our way to getting 10 run ruled barring a minor miracle.

Not the sweep I had in mind…

On 4/8/2024 at 11:53 AM, Old Titan said:

HUGE series this weekend hosting St. Thomas.  Really need a sweep!

• Haha 1

🧹🧹🧹

I don't know if we have hit rock bottom yet, but getting swept by a team that had never beat you before this series is not a good omen.  It is never good to be in the position of hoping Omaha and UNC lose so that you can make a post-season tournament you're hosting.

BE BETTER!!  DO BETTER!!  Either invest in the brotherhood (yourselves) or open up opportunities for those that want it badly.  Now, is the time to dig deep.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

Either invest in the brotherhood (yourselves) or open up opportunities for those that want it badly.  Now, is the time to dig deep.

Along those lines:  what happened to the husky freshman who was pinch-hitting quite a bit earlier in the season?

He had some pop in his bat - is he hurt?

I’m a little confused by all the FIELDING hate on the board.  Sure, we’re not top 5 like we were last year, but we are ranked 31st in the country in fielding percentage.  Although there are some missed opportunities that would’ve been capitalized on by last year’s squad.  The fielding is still well above the average.

IMO, the biggest problem is pitching, followed by batting.  While there is plenty of room to grow in fielding, at this point in the season, I don’t think our guys need to focusing on fielding more than the average team.  Hotter bats or pitching can close the gap here, but one of those 2 categories HAS to get figured out

• Upvote 1

While a week or two ago I suggested putting in some backups/freshmen to see what they could do, I suspect that at this point the coaching staff might be more interested in “red-shirting” non-senior backups to keep another year of eligibility for them.

BRUTAL.....🤢

Tough times for sure for ORU Baseball.....especially after just 10 months ago we were in Omaha in the CWS....that makes this performance so much harder to take but with so many of last years' stars gone....well, just guessing our expectations were a bit high...TheEagleman pleads guilty to that...we just don't have enough hitting and pitching but still a lot of games to be played and still going to support this team in our efforts to make the four team Summit Tournament next month...Expecting A Miracle!!.....  GO BLUE!!!     :shield-logo:

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Tough times for sure for ORU Baseball....still a lot of games to be play but still going to support this team in our efforts to make the four team Summit Tournament next month...Expecting A Miracle!!.....  GO BLUE!!!     

• Despite the o-fer, it was still a beautiful weekend for baseball.  Friday night was particularly perfect weather.
  • Hot dogs taste even better when they're only a dollar on Friday nights.
  • Baseball beats the pants off basketball for the opportunity to chew the fat with ol' Titans and younger Golden Eagles alike.
  • Still the best popcorn around, for baseball and basketball both.
  • Saw Issac McBride sitting front and center Friday night, with some classmates in general and a pretty girl in particular.  Make of that what you will... 🤔
  • Upvote 5

32 minutes ago, Old Titan said:
  • Saw Issac McBride sitting front and center Friday night, with some classmates in general and a pretty girl in particular.  Make of that what you will... 🤔

Hope she wasn't wearing a Wichita State cap...

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Hope she wasn't wearing a Wichita State cap...

I came this close to stopping dead in my tracks as I walked past to say: "Hey, man - what's the deal, for crying out loud??  Are you staying, or going, or what??"  😆

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

I came this close to stopping dead in my tracks as I walked past to say: "Hey, man - what's the deal, for crying out loud??  Are you staying, or going, or what??"  😆

"Inquiring minds want to know!"

6 hours ago, ORob2 said:

I’m a little confused by all the FIELDING hate on the board.  Sure, we’re not top 5 like we were last year, but we are ranked 31st in the country in fielding percentage.  Although there are some missed opportunities that would’ve been capitalized on by last year’s squad.  The fielding is still well above the average.

IMO, the biggest problem is pitching, followed by batting.  While there is plenty of room to grow in fielding, at this point in the season, I don’t think our guys need to focusing on fielding more than the average team.  Hotter bats or pitching can close the gap here, but one of those 2 categories HAS to get figured out

If you watched the games at the field, I think you would notice the fielding.  They aren't usually scored an error, but plays that could be made. 

Of course, we were very spoiled last year!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Spot on Mrs. Smith, and it is also obvious watching the big screen in my man cave from 1,000 miles away.

We can't hit.  That is the problem.  Better hitting would cover most of the fielding and pitching problems (which are also material).  These games are brutal to watch, but the weather and conversation makes it tolerable.

• Upvote 4

Sometimes with errors it is less about the number and more about the timing.  There have been some brutal innings where the opponent hung a crooked number on us with one or fewer hits.  The combination of BB, HBP and E have pushed a lot of runs across the plate for our opponents.

Sometimes the numbers don't tell the whole story.

• Upvote 3

I could see this being replicated in one of our post-game interviews.......  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1