ORU (#4 Seed) - Stillwater Regional

Old Titan

This is about as good a set up as ORU could have hoped for....our first game is against a team we are familiar with and have beaten....DBU is better than us but at least we have seen them and should be able to compete....the Huskies not sure but Washington not a Top 25 team....so coming out of this Stillwater Regional isn't impossible but still a tall task....frankly, TheEagleman fears Dallas Baptist more then OSU and Washington but it will not be easy to defeat the Pokes in Game 1 on their home field in front of a rabid crowd....hopefully a few hundred dedicated Golden Eagle Fans will make the trip for vocal support....Good Guys will have to play their best and most complete game of the season to win.....GO BLUE!!! :tb-blue:

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

hopefully a few hundred dedicated Golden Eagle Fans will make the trip for vocal support....

Good Guys will have to play their best and most complete game of the season to win.

I am confident that ORU will sell out of their ticket allotment.  I doubt that we will get more tickets as I would expect the OSU faithful to pack the house.  I am hopeful that the game doesn't get chippy and turn the game into anything other than a good battle between two good, disciplined teams.

As far as playing our best, most complete game, I believe that we have the talent (although not the most highly sought after) to compete with the three other teams in this regional.  We have offense, defense, pitching, and confidence.  We have to minimize the mistakes - not deliver the bad pitches that can knock the ball over the fence and minimize fielding errors,- while taking advantage of the opponent's miscues.

We have four good starting pitchers with a stable of relievers that can impact a game.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Josh Carvalho start game 1 because of his success in his mid-week game earlier this season; however, baseball is a game of superstition and following the normal rotation (with the exception of Gollert being in the #1 hole like at the SL tournament) is probably more the case - saving Josh for the follow up game with OSU.

I still believe that we will make some noise in this regional, but we need to guard against laying an egg and going 0-2 by staying focused and true to what got us in this position today. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

TheEagleman thinks that the only chippyness would be in the stands....I could envision OKCEagle and Texasgrip going at it with a few rowdy OSU fans who have had too many Budweisers.....might need Bogus or Old Titan sitting with those two to keep them in line.....🍺🍺🍺

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman thinks that the only chippyness would be in the stands....I could envision OKCEagle and Texasgrip going at it with a few rowdy OSU fans who have had too many Budweisers.....might need Bogus or Old Titan sitting with those two to keep them in line.....🍺🍺🍺

I'm going to have a hard enough time keeping @MrsSmith in line! 🤣

• Haha 5

22 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Hot take from South Dakota State head baseball coach - guess he’s not interested in scheduling the Sooners anytime in the future!  Lol

Captain Hook for the win!

There was a good discussion about RPI on the selection show yesterday.  The Committee Chair, John Cohen, even made reference to cancellations near the end of the season "because of some RPI reasons" and said "that's something that we need to address."  Duh! So punish a school like OU that participated in that bad behavior and send a message.  

After that interview there was a spirited discussion about how poor a measure the RPI is.  Kyle Peterson called out Indiana State's RPI, 9, vs their record 2-9 record against the RPI top 50.  Mike Rooney used a comparative of NC State and UC Santa Barbara.  Here's what the chart looked like.  His point was how can UCSB be 33 spots behind the Wolf Pack?

NC State   UC Santa Barbara
35-15 W-L 35-20
10-17 vs Top 50 6-4
23 RPI 56

So the formula is broken and it especially undermines ORU's ability to build a resume that will appeal to the committee.  That having been said, many comments in this thread are spot on.  If ORU wants the committee to look past the RPI and look closer at the body of work and the talent, we need to consistently outperform our seeding.  It is really that simple.  Go 2-2 or even win a regional or two as a 4 seed and you prove to the committee you were underseeded.  Go 0-2 or even 1-2 as a 4 seed and the committee will conclude we were seeded correctly.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

If ORU wants the committee to look past the RPI and look closer at the body of work and the talent, we need to consistently outperform our seeding.  It is really that simple.  Go 2-2 or even win a regional or two as a 4 seed and you prove to the committee you were underseeded.  Go 0-2 or even 1-2 as a 4 seed and the committee will conclude we were seeded correctly.

Well said Otis, it's that simple!!

...and until they tweak the process, this should put to rest (for now) any conjecture that ORU would have/will ever rank an at-large bid should they stumble in the Summit League tournament.

Let's face it:  this lazy committee is looking for any reason possible to include as many P5's as possible, and they don't mind shafting any non-P5 to do it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Boom!!....that's correct, OT....and to prove it the final seeded team comes down to a solid Campbell team that lost barely 12 games all season and a mediocre Auburn of which the head of the Selection Committee is an alum.....Campbell a 16 RPI and Auburn 19....guess who got the Host 16 seed and a first round match up with Ivy League Penn?....TheEagleman sure hopes the Quakers can pull off a huge upset and send the Tigers packing early.....not a fan of Auburn since the Sunny Golloway days......wondering if his daughter is still doing any modeling????....TheEagleman can never resist a chance to take a shot at Sunny.....😎 Image result for george costanza😎

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

...and until they tweak the process, this should put to rest (for now) any conjecture that ORU would have/will ever rank an at-large bid should they stumble in the Summit League tournament.

Let's face it:  this lazy committee is looking for any reason possible to include as many P5's SEC teams as possible, and they don't mind shafting any non-P5 to do it.

^^^^^^  Fixed it for you 🤣

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

Let's face it:  this lazy committee is looking for any reason possible to include as many P5's SEC teams as possible, and they don't mind shafting any non-P5 to do it.

IMHO the selection committee isn't being lazy, they are doing exactly what the NCAA wants and that is everything possible to keep the SEC happy, so they remain in the NCAA. SEC commissioner Stanky is the most powerful person in college sports, and the NCAA is horrified he will take the SEC more specifically SEC football out of the NCAA and become a stand-alone entity. When you have GA, Bama, Auburn, LSU, FL, Tenn, A&M, Ark and soon TX and OU football your TV money is almost limitless, and they could form their own CFP playoff rival playoff that would draw much better ratings than a combined all non-SEC college football playoff. 

Unfortunately, football TV money is by far the NCAA's most important priority! So yes, the SEC holds all the cards, the other P5's are next in line and the mid-majors are at the bottom of the food chain, not saying it's right, but that's the way it is. So, waiting for any favors or benefit of the doubt from any NCAA selection committee is going to happen unless we win in the NCAA post season. Any success we are to have, we are going to have to obtain the old-fashioned way... on the field! Let's start this weekend in Stillwater, Go Eagles!!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

IMHO the selection committee isn't being lazy, they are doing exactly what the NCAA wants and that is everything possible to keep the SEC happy, so they remain in the NCAA. SEC commissioner Stanky is the most powerful person in college sports, and the NCAA is horrified he will take the SEC more specifically SEC football out of the NCAA and become a stand-alone entity. When you have GA, Bama, Auburn, LSU, FL, Tenn, A&M, Ark and soon TX and OU football your TV money is almost limitless, and they could form their own CFP playoff rival playoff that would draw much better ratings than a combined all non-SEC college football playoff. 

Unfortunately, football TV money is by far the NCAA's most important priority! So yes, the SEC holds all the cards, the other P5's are next in line and the mid-majors are at the bottom of the food chain, not saying it's right, but that's the way it is. So, waiting for any favors or benefit of the doubt from any NCAA selection committee is going to happen unless we win in the NCAA post season. Any success we are to have, we are going to have to obtain the old-fashioned way... on the field! Let's start this weekend in Stillwater, Go Eagles!!

We're getting off topic here, but one clarification:  the NCAA does not make money off college football.

The individual conferences make money from their football TV contracts.  Even the college football playoff does not make the NCAA a dime.

Almost all of the NCAA's revenues come from the basketball tournament TV contract.

It does appear the baseball selection committee, made up of athletic directors from all shapes and sizes of schools across the country, for whatever reason tends to favor P5 schools in general, and SEC schools in particular. 

BUt I doubt it's because any decisions re: the baseball tournament might move the meter when it comes to billion-dollar football decisions.

I think they do it just because they know they can...

• Upvote 1

On 5/29/2023 at 11:49 AM, Texasgrip said:

When will the game times be announced? - I'm loosely planning on driving over Friday for sure.

Cheapest seats remaining look to be about $93/each (before fees). I guess ESPN+ it is!

39 minutes ago, Texasgrip said:

Cheapest seats remaining look to be about $93/each (before fees). I guess ESPN+ it is!

Where are you seeing that? I believe the only tickets that have been sold so far are to the OSU season ticket holders. All session passes go on sale today at 10:00 and single game tickets go on sale Friday. 

+450 not bad odds for ORU as a 4 seed.....that shows some Vegas respect because guessing most 4 seeds are a lot higher odds.....might be worth a $25 bet.....If TheEagleman had to pick a winner out of this bracket i might go with DBU....they have pitching and can always hit....but as the guy said above.....one can make a case for all four of these teams in Stillwater.....Pokes not really a top 20 team but got a home site regional anyway because of their solid history.... 😎

1 hour ago, EagleManiac said:

Where are you seeing that? I believe the only tickets that have been sold so far are to the OSU season ticket holders. All session passes go on sale today at 10:00 and single game tickets go on sale Friday. 

https://www.stubhub.com/ncaa-baseball-stillwater-regionals-tickets/grouping/50031133/

All Session tix are $75 and $60....not bad for all that good baseball.....TheEagleman wishes he was a little closer as I have nothing on tap for this weekend.....:tb-white: