ORU (#4 Seed) - Stillwater Regional

Old Titan

This has to be the only 1 vs. 4 matchup where the #4 seed swept the #1 seed.....no doubt OSU will have a revenge motive but ORU should be going in with some confidence that they can beat the Pokes.....should be an interesting week of conversation on this board.....:shield-logo:  VS.  Image result for okla state logo

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Texasgrip said:

Interesting that they mentioned that OSU and DBU split their series this year, but no mention of ORU sweeping OSU. 😆 

I noticed that too. 

• Upvote 1

The schools usually only get 200 tickets for their fans and the host school sellls the rest. The 200 tickets have to satisfy the parents’/families’ requests so make sure to let the ORU athletic ticket department know if you’re interested in tickets early to get your name in. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ttowncount said:

IMG_0954.thumb.jpeg.91f758d19a676fa41c67350a29555629.jpeg

Note that those are Eastern time. ORU-OSU is at 6pm Central on Friday.

• Like 2

Hot take from South Dakota State head baseball coach - guess he’s not interested in scheduling the Sooners anytime in the future!  Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, ORUTex said:

Note that those are Eastern time. ORU-OSU is at 6pm Central on Friday.

Good catch, ORUTex. We would likely have been late to the game!

1 hour ago, ORUalum said:

ORU easily the smallest school on the list; one of only three mid-majors (Xavier, Louisiana).

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

ORU easily the smallest school on the list; one of only three mid-majors (Xavier, Louisiana).

would like to see that whittled down to those that won both the regular season and postseason titles for their league in both sports.  can't imagine there are more than one or two schools besides ORU to accomplish that.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Texasgrip said:

Interesting that they mentioned that OSU and DBU split their series this year, but no mention of ORU sweeping OSU. 😆 

It’s embarrassing and bad look for a host team. They took a page from the Summit League on that one. 

Now let’s hope we clean house @ Stillwater and advance.

#GoldenStandard 

• Like 1

TheEagleman will have to see if he can find a line on this Stillwater Regional.....ORU might be a REALLY GOOD play.....:shield-logo:

I must admit that I was initially deeply disappointed in the #4 seed.  The committee talks about how it focuses on RPI, but also looks at seasonal trends as a team improves (or declines) throughout the year.

There are 15 teams in the tourney field with RPIs worse than ORU, which puts ORU at the top of the #4 seeds and right on the cusp of a #3 seed.  I thought that the 26-1 record over the last half of the year (including a sweep of Oklahoma State and a road win at Wichita) would be enough momentum to put ORU on the 3 seed line.  But, since the lowest 16 RPI teams are also the 16 #4 seeds in the tourney, I must conclude that the committee really doesn't take a lot of time and research on the #4 seeds, but simply slots them as a 4 based upon RPI and then assigns them to a regional by proximity.

But, in hindsight, Stillwater is the best place for ORU to have a solid fan presence - and I'd much rather have ORU as a 4 playing a team that they are 2-0 against than as a 3 seed playing a team that swept ORU in a March weekend series.  Bring on the Pokes!

• Like 1

I agree with the benefit of being in this regional even as a 4-seed because we will not have to face a top 10 team in order to win the regional.

Generally speaking however, ORU has dominated the Summit/Mid-Con for the last 20+ years and has some decent non conference wins as well.  It appears that the RPi of the other Summit League teams may not improve much in the near future.  At what point does ORU get some respect regardless of the conference they play in?

ORU is ranked 10th, 29th, and 33rd yet they get a 4 seed.  Based on rankings of the 3 main polls they should be a 2-seed.  I understand that RPI is a key tool for seeding but it wasn’t like ORU barely squeaked by in their 27 Summit League wins.

I think in this regard the selection committee is lazy.  How many more non conference games would ORU have needed to win to get a 3-seed?  Looking forward to Friday night.

50 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

At what point does ORU get some respect regardless of the conference they play in?

ORU has won only one regional game in the last ten years.  Until ORU can go 2-2 in a regional, or win a regional outright and get to another Super Regional, the program will continue to be looked upon as being in a low-major, one-bid conference without any second thoughts by the selection committee (IMHO).

• Upvote 5

I agree Bogus Smith.  If we want respect we are going to have to earn it on the field.  Start winning games in the Big Dance and the Committee should pay us more respect in the future.  We do have a nice history and have made it in the past all the way to the College World Series.  However, that has been quite a while ago and as Bogus stated, we have only won one Regional game in the last ten years.  It is time we step up to the plate (pun intended).  GO GOLDEN EAGLES!!!

• Upvote 3