Summit League Tournament - May 24-27, Fargo

Old Titan

Summit League Tournament prep:  following the final game of the regular season Saturday in Marion, the team bussed to the Twin Cities for workouts at St. Thomas (and maybe a trip to the Mall of America) before they head to Fargo for Wednesday's opening round tilt at noon with Omaha:

• Like 1

I would bet money that a Minnesota Twins / San Francisco Giants game today or tomorrow may be in the offing as well.  Is Bill Springman still connected with the Twins?

16 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

I would bet money that a Minnesota Twins / San Francisco Giants game today or tomorrow may be in the offing as well.

What are they being punished for? 😉

• Haha 2

FWIW:  if that gnarly strip of grass along the third base line in the second photo is any indication, the grounds crew at Newman Outdoor Field should be fired. 

Just brutal... #smh

• Upvote 3

Well Kreiling got the start for Omaha and he's already been given the hook after he loaded the bases in the bottom of the second with no outs after giving up 2 runs in the first.  Jackson Gordon brings his 9.45 ERA to the bump and the Golden Eagles have scored 4 runs this inning and counting. Good guys up 6-0...so far.

• Upvote 1

ORU off to a great start vs. Omaha.....love those blue  Unis that the Good Guys are wearing today....6-1 in the 4th now.....let's put the Mavs away and go get some dinner.... :tb-blue:

Umm Eagleman the good guys are wearing all white on the broadcast I have going in my office.  I saw a bottle shop advertisement on the outfield wall.  Did you stop by on your way to the game?  🤣

• Haha 1

It is the bottom of the fourth and the Mavericks are already on their third pitcher.  Joel Benes, a 6-2 junior southpaw with a 8.04 ERA is on the bump.  He pitched in one game against ORU giving up a one run homer in one inning of work.

Otis, my man!!  Sorry i must have seen a photo of ORU in warm ups....not watching the actual game just following on Live Stats....I see Blaze hit a 2 run bomb....ORU up 8-2 in the 6th....is there a 10 run rule in tournament play??? Image😎

10 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Otis, my man!!  Sorry i must have seen a photo of ORU in warm ups....not watching the actual game just following on Live Stats....I see Blaze hit a 2 run bomb....ORU up 8-2 in the 6th....is there a 10 run rule in tournament play??? 😎

There is no mercy rule in tournament play......they must play on.  Hopefully it doesn't get ugly, but that is fine if it does and the good guys are applying the ugly side of ugly.

And, yes, the dark blue shirts were warm up jerseys.  Today we are in scripted white jerseys.

• Upvote 2

9-2 ORU wins the tournament opener over Omaha behind a solid effort by Gollert on the mound.....7 strong innings.....now we wait for the SDSU vs. NDSU winner whom we play tomorrow in the 2nd game....GO BLUE!!! 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

9-2 ORU wins the tournament opener over Omaha behind a solid effort by Gollert on the mound.....7 strong innings.....now we wait for the SDSU vs. NDSU winner whom we play tomorrow in the 2nd game....GO BLUE!!! 

And a strong performance by Joshua Caravalho.  Pitched 31 pitches in two innings with four strike outs.  Very efficient and strong outing.

There was a NY Mets scout in the stands that you could see from the outfield camera.  Wonder if Jeremy Hefner is having the team follow some Golden Eagle pitchers.  At 6'7", Josh could be a "diamond in the rough" player for a major league team that wants to develop him.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Bogus Smith said:

And a strong performance by Joshua Caravalho.  Pitched 31 pitches in two innings with four strike outs.  Very efficient and strong outing.

There was a NY Mets scout in the stands that you could see from the outfield camera.  Wonder if Jeremy Hefner is having the team follow some Golden Eagle pitchers.  At 6'7", Josh could be a "diamond in the rough" player for a major league team that wants to develop him.

Also, how many times can you win a game with a seven run spread and leave 12 men on base??!  If you would have told me that we were going to leave 12 men on base this game, I would have told you that it was going to be a close game or a loss.  Of course, receiving ten walks, to go along with 12 hits (22 total runners), helps.

So true, Bogus....10 walks is a gift and ORU not really taking advantage today.....may not hurt us in the Summit Tournament but that's a sure killer if we get to the Regionals vs. a Top 25 team....not hitting with RISP is a  recipe for defeat.....so who would we rather fact tomorrow night??....Bison or Jacks??? :sdsu::NDSU::shield-logo: