OSU at ORU

Otis 83

Godman doubles in another pair to make it 9-5 as we head to the 9th........more cushion for the bullpen....isn't GODman a great name for an ORU baseball player???. :tb-white:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Nice comeback 9-7 win for ORU despite the nail biting in the 9th....Denton not quite lockdown tonight and those last 2 runs were much needed so GWRBIs go to Godman....ORU now 33-11 and nice to have a sweep of Top 25 OSU on the resume....now up to Minnesota for a weekend series at St. Thomas.....:shield-logo:

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Is that the same Jerry Ahumada that was on the team when we were in school?

Yes sir!  Jerry is a fixture at ORU baseball and basketball games, where he enjoys near-celebrity status as "Ben's Dad".  You may have caught Ben dancing up a storm either in person or on the video streams; the kid is a dynamo and loves himself some ORU baseball.

• Like 4

2273 at JLJ last night....seems like Tulsa has caught on to some ORU baseball.....looked like quite a few students were in attendence.....and TheEagleman loves it! :tb-blue:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

2273 at JLJ last night....seems like Tulsa has caught on to some ORU baskeball.....looked like quite a few students were in attendence.....and TheEagleman loves it! :tb-blue:

"Baskeball" - that is a new sport eagleman. I didn't know ORU had that sport. How is it played?

In the top of the 2nd inning, OSU loaded the bases with no outs.  A key to this game was ORU finding a way to escape that situation while only giving up 1 run on a sacrifice fly.  If OSU scores 3-4 runs there and eventually gets ahead by around 8-0, it probably would have been a different game.  

However, what resolve the Eagles showed to score 9 runs in a row after being behind 5-0.  A very impressive win that could indeed bump ORU up to a regional 3-seed if they can take care of business in the SL tournament. Also, what a beautiful night for baseball it was as well.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

There were game-saving plays made all over the field Tuesday night. 

One that stands out was the OSU bunt attempt in the top of the 6th with a man-on-first-and-no-outs and ORU trailing 5-1. 

ORU catcher Jacob Godman snagged the short bunt on the bounce in front of home plate, throwing down to second to start a 2-6-3 double play that ended with first baseman Jake McMurray in classic "splits" form to gather the relay from Mac McCroskey. 

OSU head coach Josh Hollliday predictably argued the call, but the play stood upon review.  Rather than second-and-first-with-nobody-out, the bases were cleared with two away.  Huge play to keep the Aggies corralled!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

There were game-saving plays made all over the field Tuesday night. 

One that stands out was the OSU bunt attempt in the top of the 6th with a man-on-first-and-no-outs and ORU trailing 5-1. 

ORU catcher Jacob Godman snagged the short bunt on the bounce in front of home plate, throwing down to second to start a 2-6-3 double play that ended with first baseman Jake McMurray in classic "splits" form to gather the relay from Mac McCroskey. 

OSU head coach Josh Hollliday predictably argued the call, but the play stood upon review.  Rather than second-and-first-with-nobody-out, the bases were cleared with two away.  Huge play to keep the Aggies corralled!

That was a thing of beauty that had the ORU crowd raucous and the OSU fans pin-drop silent . . .

I haven't been to an ORU baseball game in a while, and what a great game to come back to!! Given the perfect weather night, the large, responsive crowd, the in-state "rivalry," the way the game developed with ORU coming back from a 5 run deficit for the win over a ranked team, some spectacular plays on the field and at bat, finishing off with fireworks, it was just about as perfect of an evening as I've ever experienced at JLJ Stadium.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Can anyone explain the amazing success we are having over OSU? Do they treat these Tuesday games as seriously as the weekend series? I'm not downplaying the talent ORU has on the diamond. Just wondering why a team that is constantly in the top 20 in the nation has so much trouble with the Eagles. Not complaining, mind you. Any insights?

40 minutes ago, dave said:

Can anyone explain the amazing success we are having over OSU? Do they treat these Tuesday games as seriously as the weekend series? I'm not downplaying the talent ORU has on the diamond. Just wondering why a team that is constantly in the top 20 in the nation has so much trouble with the Eagles. Not complaining, mind you. Any insights?

What I've noticed is this:  OSU typically throws a lot of guys out of their bullpen in these games, and at some point the ORU hitters get to them, plus the Cowboys are sometimes a little sketchy in the field and on the base paths, in contrast to ORU's typically lock-down defense and base running.

6 hours ago, ORUalum said:

If that Blaze Brothers play to seal the victory didn’t make ESPN Top 10 Plays somebody in Bristol needs a different job. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

What I've noticed is this:  OSU typically throws a lot of guys out of their bullpen in these games, and at some point the ORU hitters get to them, plus the Cowboys are sometimes a little sketchy in the field and on the base paths, in contrast to ORU's typically lock-down defense and base running.

Even when OSU throws their bullpen at us, their relievers are throwing 92-97mph, which is impressive.  Once our batting lineup got their bearings after the fourth inning, I think that their confidence level was very high that they could hit anything thrown at them.  I don't think that getting to OSU's bullpen is a big deal as their entire staff has some very good capabilities.

I should also say that ORU's defense is remarkable this season (as shown by their top 3 ranking in the national statistics) and we have some savvy baserunning when we have guys on base.

As good as our basketball team was this season, our baseball team is as good or better.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dave said:

I don't know this for sure but i suspect OSU took last night's game very seriously.  They are on the cusp of hosting a regional or headed on the road as a 2 seed.  I know my HS buddy who is a OSU alum was very dialed in as well as very disappointed last night.  This was a quality win against a good opponent who needed the win.

• Upvote 3