Bill Haisten: Rick Dickson’s TU successor – ORU’s Tim Johnson has to get the first call

Bogus Smith

I get a little tired of Bill Haisten assuming it’s his role to dictate who should get what job/join what team/win what award/etc.

It boils down to Fourth Estate click bait; an almost embarrassing over-reach of his - and the Tulsa World’s - sphere of influence in today’s digital world.

In short: me thinks he doth project too much… #smh

• Upvote 4

that article is something else...

Haisten inserts himself as a TU hall of fame committee member, Dickson family retirement planner, agent/hype man for Tim Johnson, TU physical plant manager, and special adviser to the TU president on personnel matters.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

that article is something else...

Haisten inserts himself as a TU hall of fame committee member, Dickson family retirement planner, agent/hype man for Tim Johnson, TU physical plant manager, and special adviser to the TU president on personnel matters.

Bill may be just be lobbying for one of those positions and is jump-starting the recruitment process, after seeing what happened to colleague Kelly Hines last week.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

ORU for some (Kerry Mills), TU is a stepping stone program. Frank Haith & Coach Montgomery proved well what happens when one stays past their time. Yes it’s nice to stay at one place for a while but unfortunately TU is not that place. 

My guess would be if Tim took the job it would be to end up at either Arkansas or Oklahoma State. The Football factor presents a great opportunity for Tim to flex his muscles. Keep in mind he has shared about his GA work with Houston Nutt at Arkansas. Hunter Yearchek has done a stellar job turning Arkansas athletics around with the hires of Musselman (Basketball) & Pittman (Football). Arkansas is still lower tier in SEC Revenue but football since he has been there has posted positive gains. Prior to Yearchek, Arkansas Baseball along with Track were the only winning programs. 

Tim would get a big pay bump and have his work cutout with Football & Basketball alone at TU.

Im hopeful that Tim turns it down and focuses on his great work at ORU.

Edited by ORUFanbase
  • Upvote 1

It would be something if we had an athletic director that lasted for nearly thirty years, and the next one lasts less than three - although that's the name of the game, I guess.

30 minutes ago, ORUFanbase said:

ORU for some (Kerry Mills), TU is a stepping stone program. Frank Haith & Coach Montgomery proved well what happens when one stays past their time. Yes it’s nice to stay at one place for a while but unfortunately TU is not that place. 

My guess would be if Tim took the job it would be to end up at either Arkansas or Oklahoma State. The Football factor presents a great opportunity for Tim to flex his muscles. Keep in mind he has shared about his GA work with Houston Nutt at Arkansas. Hunter Yearchek has done a stellar job turning Arkansas athletics around with the hires of Musselman (Basketball) & Pittman (Football). Arkansas is still lower tier in SEC Revenue but football since he has been there has posted positive gains. Prior to Yearchek, Arkansas Baseball along with Track were the only winning programs. 

Tim would get a big pay bump and have his work cutout with Football & Basketball alone at TU.

Im hopeful that Tim turns it down and focuses on his great work at ORU.

Hopefully Tim stays at ORU but would not be surprised if he was a few schools short list of ADs.

Well....should this happen as Mr. Haisten surmises....isn't there an ORU AD in waiting at USF???? Image result for george costanza photos

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, theeagleman5 said:

Well....should this happen as Mr. Haisten surmises....isn't there an ORU AD in waiting at USF???? Image result for george costanza photos

Good call out on Mike Minyard. Time will tell.

2 hours ago, ORUFanbase said:

Good call out on Mike Minyard. Time will tell.

I had a chance to speak with Mike at the NCAA tournament in Orlando and asked him if his future plans included ORU. His response was diplomatic - he wouldn't rule it out if the doors opened, and that he'd certainly be praying about it if they did.

Tim Johnson is doing a fabulous job as AD at ORU, and it would be a blow at this point if he left (and there's really no reason for speculation to that effect other than Haisten's silly article). His hard work leading to the opening of the Mike Carter Athletic Center is the crowning achievement so far in his role as athletic director, and I'm impressed by what he's accomplished in his brief tenure.

That said, you never know what tomorrow will bring, especially in the chaotic world of college sports, and if such a thing did happen, I would love nothing more than to see HugeORUFan back in the fold and part of the family at ORU!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All that being said, we have excellent candidates for the job already on staff regardles of Mike's availability.  The department is on very solid ground.

• Upvote 1

TU is a mess right now. A step down if anything. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

All that being said, we have excellent candidates for the job already on staff regardles of Mike's availability.  The department is on very solid ground.

Paul Kabbes would be a great replacement if things changed. 

Nothing against anyone in the athletic dept, but the energy that TJ has is hard to match.  He has done an amazing job at fund raising.

Speaking of personnel...I saw that we're looking for a new men's tennis head coach.