ORU @ NDSU

ORUSwagger

5 hours ago, ORU40 said:

I have to respectfully disagree; IMHO I don't think it's a true comparison to say a 10-run win is a "close game" experience. It may be great drama for the fans, but there is no real pressure on the team. It's not an actual close, late game situation. The only way to prepare for close games with good teams is to play good teams. I think our baseball team is having the same experience as our basketball team, we are winning a lot of games by large margins and that may come back to bite us in the regionals when we see much better competition. It's easy to hit 3's or get that RBI hit when you have a huge lead against a mediocre team. I don't think a lot of large blowout wins helps a team get ready for the level of competition we'll see in the regionals. I hope I'm wrong; but a team needs to play good teams to know what to expect, and how to prepare for good teams.

Go back and read the post again:  in regards to games RIGHT AT THE 10-RUN MARGIN, I'm talking specifically about taking something away of value in an otherwise mundane situation.

Not going to argue the point; I've been in the dugout when it happens, personally experiencing the team reactions when the 10-run lead is achieved, held or lost in the 7th or 8th inning.  It's palpable.

• Upvote 3

The Bison always tend to give ORU fits; and remain ORU's primary rival in ALL Summit League revenue sports.

Seriously giving thought to attending the conference tournament next month; I really enjoy watching this ORU team play, and when else am I going to have a reason to go to Fargo, ND while the weather is halfway decent?

Huge victory this afternoon for the Good Guys....Cade Denton and the bullpen redeemed themselves today with EIGHT shutout innings as ORU came from behind twice to win this must series....HRs in the 13th by Quinn and Cox just enormous as the Golden Eagles now have a 4 game lead in the Summit at 14-1 (29-11)....TheEagleman will sleep much better tonight.....now on the Norman for a little revenge match....bring on the Sooners!!!   :tb-white:

1 hour ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Gutty win today in Council Bluffs.  

While ORU hasn't officially wrapped up the conference title yet, owning a four-game lead and the tie-breaker over NDSU at this point in the season is money in the bank.  In other words, plan on the 2024 Summit League Tournament to be hosted at JLJ in Tulsa.

If indeed ORU wins the season championship and brings the Summit tourney back to Tulsa, I wonder if JLG will have a new face lift by then. I've heard TJ talk about refurbishing the old diamond. It was a very special place when it was new and I attended games there in the late 70's. Still is nice, but just like the Mabee, it could still impress with the right upgrades and additions. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dave said:

If indeed ORU wins the season championship and brings the Summit tourney back to Tulsa, I wonder if JLG will have a new face lift by then. I've heard TJ talk about refurbishing the old diamond. It was a very special place when it was new and I attended games there in the late 70's. Still is nice, but just like the Mabee, it could still impress with the right upgrades and additions. 

The desire to make the upgrades are there - the $$$ are not.  Upgrading JLJ is on the board, so I believe that it is a priority to the athletic program, but just needs to work through all the other priorities.  It may not (probably won't) happen before the next Summit League tournament next May, but I would bet that it will be coming in the next five years. I have not been told anything about this, just my own conjecture.

What could bump it up on the priority list??  A visit to the College World Series.  Winning cures a lot of ails.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

The desire to make the upgrades are there - the $$$ are not.  Upgrading JLJ is on the board, so I believe that it is a priority to the athletic program, but just needs to work through all the other priorities.  It may not (probably won't) happen before the next Summit League tournament next May, but I would bet that it will be coming in the next five years. I have not been told anything about this, just my own conjecture.

What could bump it up on the priority list??  A visit to the College World Series.  Winning cures a lot of ails.

Good intel Bogus. How about winning the first round of a super regional?

1 hour ago, ORUFanbase said:

Good intel Bogus. How about winning the first round of a super regional?

Yes, that would get us into the college world series since there is only one round of super regionals. 🤣

Seriously, we won the Fayetteville regional in 2006 and had the chance of winning the Super Regional that year in both games we played with Clemson.  Getting back to the CWS for a second time would be helpful in getting the recognition needed to change the priorities (IMHO).

Yea, so I could be way off here, but I think there’s only one “round” to a super regional. Two regional winner face off in a best two out of three and the winner advances to the CWS. At least that’s how I understand it.

I’m wrong a lot so I went to ncaa.com and they said “Sixteen regional winners then advance to the super regional, a two-team, best-of-three style format held either June 9-11, or June 10-12.”

I could be missing something here. 

15 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

Yea, so I could be way off here, but I think there’s only one “round” to a super regional. Two regional winner face off in a best two out of three and the winner advances to the CWS. At least that’s how I understand it.

I’m wrong a lot so I went to ncaa.com and they said “Sixteen regional winners then advance to the super regional, a two-team, best-of-three style format held either June 9-11, or June 10-12.”

I could be missing something here. 

You are correct, Otis.  I was trying to be funny by stating that "How about winning the first round of a super regional?" and "a visit to the College World Series" are one-and-the-same.  You gotta' win the super regional before you visit the CWS.  My attempt at humor may not have been that great.

However, your details of the tournament are good.  First round ("the regionals") is the first weekend of June, the Super Regional round is the second weekend of June, with the College World Series starting around Father's Day.  I think that the MLB draft also happens around that time, as well.

• Haha 1

ORU hasn't been to a Super Regional in 17 yrs.....it seems we just never have enough pitching depth...even when we had Chi Chi we couldn't do it although we did get to the final game of the regional and lost to Dallas Baptist about 10 years ago I believe.....getting to the CWS almost impossible for a small mid major like ORU....but I know....EXPECT A MIRACLE!!! :shield-logo:

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

You are correct, Otis.  I was trying to be funny by stating that "How about winning the first round of a super regional?" and "a visit to the College World Series" are one-and-the-same.  You gotta' win the super regional before you visit the CWS.  My attempt at humor may not have been that great.

However, your details of the tournament are good.  First round ("the regionals") is the first weekend of June, the Super Regional round is the second weekend of June, with the College World Series starting around Father's Day.  I think that the MLB draft also happens around that time, as well.

Bogus, I think you and I posted our remarks at virtually the same time.  You were just a moment or two ahead of me.  So while it appears that I was responding to you, I wasn't.  You and I were saying the same thing, at about the same time, with a different angle on the attempt at humor. I'd like to say "great minds think alike" but Mrs. Smith and my wife may take issue with that assumption 🤣

• Haha 3