ORU @ NDSU

ORUSwagger

Gotta love baseball in the Summit League......Image result for frozen snow covered baseball field photos

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Otis 83 said:

OT, congratulations finding the two baseball fans on their message board.  Perhaps you can help the EPA find Spotted Owls.

Too busy trying to find intelligent life on Earth. 😉

18 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Wonder if the change in venue means no streaming to watch... 

It doesn't look like their will be any video.  gobison.com is only offering live stats.  The updated pregame notes on the ORU Sports app says there will be audio.  No telling if they had to patch a short wave radio back to a T1 line at KOZN in Omaha.

Good Guys need to get this first game today......hopefully we get some decent pitching and the bats are blazing.....TheEagleman has been very impressed with our line up this season especially Hogan, McCroskey, Quinn and Blaze.....but seems like all 9 guys can be dangerous.....we could really put a lock on the Summit regular season title with a series win in Council Bluffs.....GO BLUE!!! :tb-blue:

• Upvote 1

On 4/20/2023 at 2:39 PM, theeagleman5 said:

Gotta love baseball in the Summit League......Image result for frozen snow covered baseball field photos

Classic!!!

On 4/20/2023 at 8:16 AM, Otis 83 said:

That is my concern. 

Looks like Adam was able to get enough bars to stream Behind The Mic using his smartphone of choice.  Just heard him give a run down of the miserable weather this weekend in the Dakotas and how disruptive it is to the baseball games scheduled this weekend.  

• Like 1

ORU up 5-0 going into the bottom of the bottom of the 6th with the snow flurries waxing and waning.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This could be a Run Rule game...10-0 in the 7th......ORU sending a message to the Bison.....:shield-logo::NDSU:

• Like 2

ORU needs to drop the hammer on NDSU tomorrow and Sunday.....maybe it will warm up a little.....GO BLUE!!!! :tb-white:

Dominant win in every facet of the game.

FWIW, I love the "close game" experience gained of playing in run-rule games that hover around the 10-run threshold like this one did. 

It's almost like being up/down a run late, or tied:  needing to push a run or two across to achieve the pivotal 10-run advantage, then holding the opponent scoreless in their potentially-final at-bat to earn the abbreviated victory. 

It's great drama, and great practice for slamming the door, and with nothing much really at stake since, even if you give up a couple of runs, you still have a large lead; you're just relegated to playing a full nine innings.

Caravalho's one inning of relief today is a great example:  he pitched himself out of a runners-on-second-&-third-with-two-outs situation in the bottom of the 7th in what amounted to a "run-rule save" by keeping the deficit at 10 runs and sending the good guys home early on a very cold day. 

I would bet money that he - and his teammates - were just as thrilled to get that final pop-up on the infield as they would be with a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the ninth.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Old Titan said:

FWIW, I love the "close game" experience gained of playing in run-rule games that hover around the 10-run threshold like this one did. 

It's almost like being up/down a run late, or tied:  needing to push a run or two across to achieve the pivotal 10-run advantage, then holding the opponent scoreless in their potentially-final at-bat to earn the abbreviated victory. 

It's great drama, and great practice for slamming the door, and with nothing much really at stake since, even if you give up a couple of runs, you still have a large lead; you're just relegated to playing a full nine innings.

Caravalho's one inning of relief today is a great example:  he pitched himself out of a runners-on-second-&-third-with-two-outs situation in the bottom of the 7th in what amounted to a "run-rule save" by keeping the deficit at 10 runs and sending the good guys home early on a very cold day. 

I would bet money that he - and his teammates - were just as thrilled to get that final pop-up on the infield as they would be with a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the ninth.

^^^^^ This is what a quality post looks like for those of you who were wondering. Great analysis OT. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Disappointing 4-2 loss today with very little hitting and a poor bullpen performance from Cade Denton......tomorrow is really a MUST win for ORU...we can't afford to lose this series to a mediocre NDSU squad......hopefully the boys get a good nights' rest and come out swinging on Sunday afternoon....GO BLUE!!! :tb-blue:

9 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

^^^^^ This is what a quality post looks like for those of you who were wondering. Great analysis OT. 

Don't get too mushy over OT or he'll get a big head . . .

On 4/21/2023 at 8:16 PM, Old Titan said:

I have to respectfully disagree; IMHO I don't think it's a true comparison to say a 10-run win is a "close game" experience. It may be great drama for the fans, but there is no real pressure on the team. It's not an actual close, late game situation. The only way to prepare for close games with good teams is to play good teams. I think our baseball team is having the same experience as our basketball team, we are winning a lot of games by large margins and that may come back to bite us in the regionals when we see much better competition. It's easy to hit 3's or get that RBI hit when you have a huge lead against a mediocre team. I don't think a lot of large blowout wins helps a team get ready for the level of competition we'll see in the regionals. I hope I'm wrong; but a team needs to play good teams to know what to expect, and how to prepare for good teams.

1 hour ago, ORU40 said:

I have to respectfully disagree; IMHO I don't think it's a true comparison to say a 10-run win is a "close game" experience. It may be great drama for the fans, but there is no real pressure on the team. It's not an actual close, late game situation. The only way to prepare for close games with good teams is to play good teams. I think our baseball team is having the same experience as our basketball team, we are winning a lot of games by large margins and that may come back to bite us in the regionals when we see much better competition. It's easy to hit 3's or get that RBI hit when you have a huge lead against a mediocre team. I don't think a lot of large blowout wins helps a team get ready for the level of competition we'll see in the regionals. I hope I'm wrong; but a team needs to play good teams to know what to expect, and how to prepare for good teams.

100% correct!

We play OU, OSU, Dallas Baptist, Wichita State, etc. almost every year.  The baseball non-conference schedule is definitely competitive.  There isn’t much ORU can do about the level of play in the conference games.  I do not think that is a fair criticism of the baseball team’s scheduling.

When we were in the Southland Conference and played in a more competitive league, we did NOT go to a regional either year.

I will take our current situation over the Southland situation every time.  Winning the conference almost every year helps our recruiting.  Over time, if we can become a Top 30 type of team, then we won’t always get a 4-seed.  We can stay in the Summit and eventually earn 2 or 3- seeds in regionals.  It is a process.  

• Upvote 2