Utah State Information (Message Board, etc)

ORUTerry

It seems they have a great 3 point shooter and ORU is not mentioned on the board in losses. They seem to be overlooking us. That is good news.

I'm sure we will not play zone against this team. However a box and one may work on their 3 point shooter! What do you think? :roll:

Aggies defenseless in second half

By Wade Denniston

It was just like old times at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum on Saturday night.

Cardell Butler was knocking down clutch shot after clutch shot after clutch shot.

Only this time, those shots didn?t benefit the home team. Butler scored 20 of his 24 points in the second half to lead EA Sports over Utah State 67-60 in the Aggies? final exhibition contest of the season.

?It was so nice, but the only thing that really messed with me was sitting on the other side of the bench,? said Butler, who played two seasons at USU, earning first-team all-Big West Conference honors as a senior in 2003-04. ?I just never expected that to happen, but it felt good.?

Michael Joiner (Florida State) added 14 points and six rebounds for EA Sports, which shot an eye-popping 73.7 percent in the second half.

?I don?t know what happened to our defense,? said USU forward Chaz Spicer, who scored 17 points off the bench to lead the Aggies. ?We kind of slacked off in the second half.?

EA Sports shot 60 percent from the floor (24-for-40) for the game and made 12 of the 15 free throws it took.

?The good news is it doesn?t count,? USU head coach Stew Morrill said. ?We?ve got to get a lot better. We?re not even close to being a very good team yet.?

Cass Matheus and Nate Harris joined Spicer in double figures with 11 and 10 points, respectively. David Pak only scored four, but dished out a game-high nine assists.

?I thought David Pak played real well,? Morrill said. ?He had a tough outing against Occidental. We came back and started him again and I thought he had a good floor game.?

A layup by Matheus gave the Aggies their biggest advantage of the game at 39-32 with 14:04 left in the second half.

Harris gave USU its last lead at 48-47 with 6:34 to go. The next time the Aggies scored there were less than two minutes left.

EA Sports used a 10-0 run to take the lead for good. Butler had four points during the stretch.

Butler finished 8-of-12 from the floor, including 4-for-7 from beyond the arc. During one stretch in the second half he scored 12 straight points on four 3-pointers that barely beat the shot-clock buzzer.

?I reminded our guys, (Aggie great) Shawn Daniels came in here and beat us twice with Global Sports,? Morrill said. ?Cardell decided to do the same thing.

?Both of those teams became pretty good teams and hopefully this one will, too.?

USU also had a long scoring drought in the first half.

A jumper by Spicer tied the game at 15-apiece with 12:15 left in the half. The Aggies missed their next six shots and committed two turnovers before a 3-pointer by Durrall Peterson broke a dry spell of more than six minutes.

?Our team played really well because they knew it was the last game of the tour, so they were excited,? EA Sports head coach Maury Hanks said. ?Coach Morrill is a great coach and has had success here, but we were able to defend the best we have defended in all six games.?

USU shot 41.8 percent for the game, but a dismal 25 percent from 3-point range. The Aggies did out-rebound EA Sports 28-24 and had just 10 turnovers.

EA Sports went 2-4 on its six-game, 10-day tour across the country.

Former Aggie Bernard Rock also played for EA Sports, finishing with five points, five rebounds and three assists. Abdul Mills (Nebraska-Omaha) had 10 points and a team-high seven assists for the visitors.

Next up for USU is its season opener Saturday at Oral Roberts University.

That was a pretty interesting recap regarding the Utah State team. Interesting that both ORU and USU are ranked #44 in the USA Today poll. One error in the info though: they counted a win against Centenary in 2001 as one of the overall wins against the Mid-Con for Utah State and a win against the Mid-Con for their current coach. Centenary didn't join the Mid-Con until 2003, according to the Mid-Con media guide.

Seems the Utah State Board is trying to figure out how they can lose a recruit like Shawn King to us. Interesting Recruiting note from a USU fan. :roll:

Put yourself in Utah St's shoes. I'm not completely aware of Oral Roberts' record since 1999-2000, but Utah St has the 9th best Sagarin Rating in the West since 1999. http://mb4.scout.com/futahstatefrm23.showMessage?topicID=125.topic Utah St has been in the NCAA tournament 4 out of the last 6 years and 5 out of the last 8. Utah St has been in the post season every year since 1999-2000. They are in the top 5 in the country in winning percentage since 2000 (among the likes of Duke, Gonzaga etc). They also have one of the best home court advantages in the country. The list goes on....

Like I say, I'm not entirely sure of what Oral Roberts' resume is over that time period, but it is frustrating to lose recruits to programs that are in conferences that are percieved as lesser. Oral Roberts is in the same conference as Southern Utah. Southern Utah is considered the lesser than Utah St, Utah, BYU and Weber St in Utah.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Oral Roberts, because I recognize the fact that Oral Roberts is probably one of the top 3 teams in the Mid Cont. Conf. and maybe one of the top 50 programs in the country (that's about where I'd place Utah St amongst the rest of the country also). Valpo is probably right there with you guys.

Where exactly is Utah St.? Small town Utah, I suppose?

Your same argument could be made by one of us.

Why would a college kid (especially an African American), want to live in small town Utah? Not trying to sound mean-spirited, but ORU offers a lot of thing USU doesn't, I assume.

Guest Blevins

One thing we have for sure is an over abundance of International students, particularly those from Shawn's part of the world. I suspect that may have helped in the decision, as well as our proximity to his current residence.

I suspect that may have helped in the decision, as well as our proximity to his current residence.

I have absolutely no way of knowing what the deciding factors were that caused Shawn King to pick ORU, but right from the start I thought that this particular point made by Blevins might play into it. I read somewhere a statement made by his coach that he had a very hard time adjusting to being away from home his first year, but was doing better now. My thinking was that if that was the case, he may be lured by environs that he was more familiar with.

I have absolutely no way of knowing what the deciding factors were that caused Shawn King to pick ORU, but right from the start I thought that this particular point made by Blevins might play into it. I read somewhere a statement made by his coach that he had a very hard time adjusting to being away from home his first year, but was doing better now. My thinking was that if that was the case, he may be lured by environs that he was more familiar with.

My guess is that you're right on the money

From CBS Sportsline.com:

Utah State

Top three: SG Jaycee Carroll, SF Nate Harris, C Cass Matheus.

NCAA or bust: The Aggies are one of the most intriguing conference-switching schools anywhere in college basketball. Utah State dominated the Big West Conference, putting together six consecutive 20-win seasons and being almost unbeatable at home, but the WAC is several rungs up the conference RPI ladder. And while this is not a vintage WAC that Utah State is joining, this also is not a vintage Utah State team for coach Stew Morrill. Primarily, PF Spencer Nelson is gone, and he was the Aggies' leader in points, rebounds, assists and steals. Still, Morrill returns productive scorers in Carroll and Harris, a huge post presence in Matheus, and juco transfer Chaz Spicer will slip into Nelson's old spot. It says here that Utah State is, until proven otherwise, an annual NCAA Tournament team -- old league, new league, any league.

I think on Saturday, King will know why he wants to be apart of Oral Roberts University Basketball. So will the world.