Way Too Early Summit League Outlook 2023-24

Old Titan

41 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Ah, yes - the eternal response from the hopelessly entrenched:  "LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!"

Will never apologize (or back down) from asking/expecting the conference office to exhibit a fraction of the initiative to become bigger/better that the current ORU athletic administartion has exemplified lately.  #DoBetter  #ThinkBigger

I usually agree with you 94% of the time, but not today.

It's like your argument on how all the "Northern Teams" get more exposure and have more bloggers/write-ups. Meanwhile, we don't get the coverage "down here", when nobody "down here" does much of that (blogs, podcasts, write-ups). 

It comes down to a question of numbers. The Summit League is primarily a conference of upper midwest schools. ORU is an outlier. What is going to be good for 90% of the conference might not be the best for ORU, but none of the ideas to #DoBetter or #ThinkBigger presented here make sense for the rest of the conference.

I'm not sure if Denver fans have the same complaints, but I haven't seen it from the KC folks. I suspect WIU fans are just happy the school is still open.

It seems the ORU athletic administration inspired Paul Mills to #DoBetter, #ThinkBigger, and #LoveItANDLeaveIt when he took a big payraise to go to Wichita State though.

37 minutes ago, jamtod said:

It comes down to a question of numbers. The Summit League is primarily a conference of upper midwest schools. ORU is an outlier. What is going to be good for 90% of the conference might not be the best for ORU, but none of the ideas to #DoBetter or #ThinkBigger presented here make sense for the rest of the conference.

I'm not sure if Denver fans have the same complaints, but I haven't seen it from the KC folks. I suspect WIU fans are just happy the school is still open.

It seems the ORU athletic administration inspired Paul Mills to #DoBetter, #ThinkBigger, and #LoveItANDLeaveIt when he took a big payraise to go to Wichita State though.

Oooh...burn! 🙄

Like anyone else in the conference could afford right now to match $1.8 million annually for five years (even with that fantastic league TV contract we have - oh, wait...)

Look, it's time to start thinking beyond geographic proximity and start focusing on BRAND.

You think the Big Ten cares about USC and UCLA being geographic "outliers"??

Heck, no! 

They want the Rose Bowl and The Coliseum mentioned in the same breath as The Big House and The Shoe.

The Big Sky allegiance doesn't just suck for the Summit League because of the inaccessible, small-town geography.

It sucks because nobody cares if you beat Northern Colorado or Idaho State.

#ThinkBeyondThe40thParallel

25 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Oooh...burn! 🙄

Like anyone else in the conference could afford right now to match $1.8 million annually for five years (even with that fantastic league TV contract we have - oh, wait...)

Look, it's time to start thinking beyond geographic proximity and start focusing on BRAND.

You think the Big Ten cares about USC and UCLA being geographic "outliers"??

Heck, no! 

They want the Rose Bowl and The Coliseum mentioned in the same breath as The Big House and The Shoe.

The Big Sky allegiance doesn't just suck for the Summit League because of the geography.

It sucks because nobody cares if you beat Northern Colorado or Idaho State.

#ThinkBeyondThe40thParallel

Would love to hear some of your ideas and solutions.

19 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

They're all over this board, but for starters:

• Rotation of the basketball championships on 3-year deals each with any combination of Sioux Falls, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Kansas City and Omaha.
  • A television and streaming contract that puts every single men's and women's basketball, baseball, and softball game on an ESPN broadcast station and/or the ESPN+/ESPN3 streaming platform
  • Long-term broadcast and championship sponsorship agreements with national/international brands.  In other words:  Mercedes-Benz, not just Joe Schmo's Used Cars in Vermillion.
  • Crossover challenges in basketball with leagues that also have national TV deals for exposure, not just hoping to bring 1000 more fans through the turnstile in Pocotello.
  • Baseball stadiums with lights.  And tarps.  And locker rooms.  You know: basic D1 facilities.
  • Arenas without bleachers.
  • Adding members who are willing and able to achieve these goals (such as St. Thomas) and not just because they're in your neighborhood (Augustana College, St. Cloud, Minnesota-Duluth, etc.)

Rule of thumb:  if your conference office isn't at least trying to achieve modest goals such as this wish list, you're not getting enough out of your conference office.

That’s good stuff right there and learned lots.

I like that I can watch ORU on Roku at no cost but big conferences have that espn factor that helps them out. 

The SEC, B10, & ACC use this model (media rights, venue, play other conferences) and works out well for them. This model is so good that Mizzou & A&M went to the SEC thinking they can do well in Football and can’t ever (nor will they ever) play in the SEC title game for football. 

OT - You have my support on this post 100%

Edited by ORUFanbase

Just saw this in my Twitter feed; with a name like that I'm surprised the Summit League hasn't extended them a membership offer...

• Haha 6

18 minutes ago, ORUFanbase said:

Mizzou & A&M went to the SEC thinking they can do well in Football and can’t ever (nor will they ever) play in the SEC title game for football. 

Actually, Alabama dismantled Missou 42-13 in 2014 in the SEC Championship in the old Georgia Dome.  Derrick Henry went off for 7.1/rush on 20 rushes... Dude's a tank lol

6 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Just saw this in my Twitter feed; with a name like that I'm surprised the Summit League hasn't extended them a membership offer...

GIF by Saturday Night Livechris farley surprise GIF

Hahahahaha….now let’s not tempt the SL leaders into considering now.

8 minutes ago, ORob2 said:

Actually, Alabama dismantled Missou 42-13 in 2014 in the SEC Championship in the old Georgia Dome.  Derrick Henry went off for 7.1/rush on 20 rushes... Dude's a tank lol

Facts. Mizzou had their chance with Pinkel but he left and so has the rest of Mizzou along with athletics. (Wokeness hasn’t helped Mizzou either.)

21 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Frostburg has a nationally ranked Acrobatics and Tumbling team and are the 7 seed in next week's national championship meet.  I only know this because my daughter competes for Limestone University who has the 6 seed!  #proudpapa

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Frostburg has a nationally ranked Acrobatics and Tumbling team and are the 7 seed in next week's national championship meet.  I only know this because my daughter competes for Limestone University who has the 6 seed!  #proudpapa

Limestone and Frostburg sound like rival kingdoms in Game of Thrones.

Come At Me Bring It GIF by Game of Thrones

It is still very early in the off-season but I have been impressed with what UND has done.  They are typically at or near the bottom of the league most years  but they kept their coach and most of their key players.  Plus they brought in a guy from Iowa State who had a solid freshman year and they also brought in their old point guard (international player and would misspell his name) from James Madison.  The Hawks may not win the league next year but they will be a tough out in conference play.  

UPDATED 5/23/2023

2023 Summit League Award Winners - Status For 2023-24

First Team All-Summit League

• Max Abmas, Oral Roberts^** (Sr., G) - TRANSFERRED (Texas)
  • Trenton Massner, Western Illinois* (Sr., G) - EXHAUSTED ELIGIBILITY
  • Zeke Mayo, South Dakota State (So., G) - RETURNING
  • Grant Nelson, North Dakota State (Jr., F) - TRANSFER PORTAL
  • Andrew Rohde, St. Thomas (Fr., G) - TRANSFERRED (Virginia)
  • Connor Vanover, Oral Roberts (Sr., F) - TRANSFER PORTAL

Second Team All-Summit League

• Shemarri Allen, Kansas City (Sr., G) - TRANSFERRED (Central Florida)
  • Parker Bjorklund, St. Thomas (Gr., F) - EXHAUSTED ELIGIBILITY
  • Matt Dentlinger, South Dakota State** (Gr., F) - EXHAUSTED ELIGIBILITY
  • Issac McBride, Oral Roberts (Jr., G) - RETURNING
  • RayQuawndis Mitchell, Kansas City (Gr., G) - TRANSFERRED (Penn State)

Honorable Mention All-Summit League

• Tommy Bruner, Denver (Jr., G) - RETURNING
  • Frankie Fidler, Omaha (So., G) - RETURNING
  • Tasos Kamateros, South Dakota (Sr., F) - TRANSFERRED (Vanderbilt)
  • Kruz Perrott-Hunt, South Dakota* (Sr., G) - GOING PRO
  • Boden Skunberg, North Dakota State (Jr., G) - RETURNING

^Player of the year automatically earns a spot on the first team.

*previous all-league selections noted above

All-Defensive Team

• Shemarri Allen, Kansas City (Sr., G) - TRANSFERRED (Central Florida)
  • Matt Mims, South Dakota State (Jr., G) - RETURNING
  • Grant Nelson, North Dakota State (Jr., F) - TRANSFER PORTAL
  • Connor Vanover, Oral Roberts (Sr., F) - TRANSFER PORTAL
  • Jesiah West, Western Illinois (Jr., F) - RETURNING

All-Newcomer Team

• Tommy Bruner, Denver (Jr., G) - RETURNING
  • William Kyle III, South Dakota State (Fr., F) - RETURNING
  • RayQuawndis Mitchell, Kansas City (Gr., G) - TRANSFERRED (Penn State)
  • Andrew Rohde, St. Thomas (Fr., G) - TRANSFERRED (Virginia)
  • Connor Vanover, Oral Roberts (Sr., F) - TRANSFER PORTAL

Player of the Year

Max Abmas, Oral Roberts - TRANSFERRED (Texas)

Defensive Player of the Year

Connor Vanover, Oral Roberts - TRANSFER PORTAL

Sixth Man of the Year

Matt Norman, North Dakota - NOT RETURNING (?)

Freshman of the Year

Andrew Rohde, St. Thomas - TRANSFERRED (Virginia)

Newcomer of the Year

Connor Vanover, Oral Roberts - TRANSFER PORTAL

Coach of the Year

Paul Mills, Oral Roberts - CASHED OUT

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Coach of the Year

Paul Mills, Oral Roberts - CASHED OUT

😂🤣😂

It's going to be a whole different league next year . . . Maybe it's that way in every conference, given the current set of rules. 

If Mayo would just go into the portal then that would really level out the playing field.  So far, SDSU would most likely be the favorite to win the league next year and NDSU (they still have everybody back but Nelson) would be ranked second.  That is par for course the last 10 years in the Summit League (except when ORU has an occassional breakthrough year).  

With Kareem back I could see ORU preseason #2 or #3.

• Upvote 4

Based on potential starting units alone, I would currently rank everyone as follows:

1. SDSU
  2. NDSU
  3. ORU
  4. North Dakota
  5. Denver
  6. St. Thomas
  7. UMKC
  8. Omaha
  9. South Dakota
  10. Western Illinois
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2023 at 11:33 AM, Old Titan said:

Sixth Man of the Year

Matt Norman, North Dakota - RETURNING

FYI, I'm nearly certain Matt Norman just straight up graduated.

From our board:

image.png.0b82fa30ccc09126bb63833bba1a5757.png

Edited by nodak651