Way Too Early Summit League Outlook 2023-24

Old Titan

Real good take.....Summit big wigs should have been talking to the Missouri Valley or Horizon League......but i guess it's better than nothing?....right?....well...maybe not.... image.jpeg.0781c448c2f611564a27584f3c801454.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only good out of it is that Eagles can match up with someone different.  I always enjoy seeing new teams on the schedule, like Liberty and Texas Southern last year.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

*sigh*

Only the Summit League, with schools in metropolitan areas such as Denver, Kansas City, Omaha, Tulsa, and the Twin Cities would think it's a good idea to send their marquee programs to places like Ogden (UT), Pocatello (ID), Cheney (WA), Bozeman (MT), Greeley (CO), and Flagstaff (AZ) in the middle of winter to play games that, win or lose, will most likely hurt their NET rankings.  #ThinkBigger

Preach, my friend!!  A challenge with the WAC was better for the Summit than the Big Sky (except that it accommodates the northern tier schools).

• Upvote 2

I just hope ORU does not have to travel to Eastern Washington, that is a 27😂 hour bus ride!  Fun times

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

*sigh*

Only the Summit League, with schools in metropolitan areas such as Denver, Kansas City, Omaha, Tulsa, and the Twin Cities would think it's a good idea to send their marquee programs to places like Ogden (UT), Pocatello (ID), Cheney (WA), Bozeman (MT), Greeley (CO), and Flagstaff (AZ) in the middle of winter to play games that, win or lose, will most likely hurt their NET rankings.  #ThinkBigger

I agree and every announcement like this gives me less confidence in the new Summit commissioner. ORU is simply a prisoner of the Dakota's geographical footprint.

The Big Sky is probably the ONLY D1 conference you could get to agree to possibly travel to the Dakotas. So, in that respect it's great that the Summit could find ANY teams willing to pair up.

• Upvote 4

Refresh my memory:  wasn’t there an announcement just before the pandemic hit of a similar alliance with the Horizon League?  What happened to THAT deal?

I can think of half a dozen conferences that would have been a better fit than the Big Sky:

• Horizon
  • Missouri Valley
  • Mid-America 
  • Conference USA
  • WAC
  • Sunbelt

i sincerely doubt any ORU fans will look back at the end of the season and feel that anything was gained by playing the likes of Northern Arizona and Idaho State. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It does seem like a desperate move just so teams in these two conferences can get one more home game and when the students are on vacation.  So, they will have record crowds for these games.  Plus it is being played between Jan. 3-6th, which for the Summit is usually four games into League play.  Very odd indeed to just get the league going and then all of a sudden go back to two non conference games.  Try explaining that one? 

6 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Real good take.....Summit big wigs should have been talking to the Missouri Valley or Horizon League......but i guess it's better than nothing?....right?....well...maybe not.... image.jpeg.0781c448c2f611564a27584f3c801454.jpeg

Clearly if Mr. Wonderful @theeagleman5 @Old Titan & I were In the room we would have an MVC partnership. 

My guess is that this league is not too far for the Dakota Darlings and Big Shots in the Frozen Tundra don’t have to travel outside the region.

Shark Tank Ugh GIF by ABC Network

2 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

It does seem like a desperate move just so teams in these two conferences can get one more home game and when the students are on vacation.  So, they will have record crowds for these games.  Plus it is being played between Jan. 3-6th, which for the Summit is usually four games into League play.  Very odd indeed to just get the league going and then all of a sudden go back to two non conference games.  Try explaining that one? 

excited making money GIF by HULU

Sounds like a PR move to try and create excitement. Where is Kerry Mills to chime in on this? 😂😂😂

One reason that I can think that makes sense is that the leagues are maybe trying to discourage teams from scheduling too many non D1 schools.  Any thoughts?

NDSU played 3 Big Sky teams and SDSU played 2 last year, so of course that may have something to do with it.  Coach Mills may have wanted out because he knew SDSU and NDSU would rule the league for however long he was at ORU.

49 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

Still WAY, WAY, WAY better than games against Bacone and Haskell. 

Just sayin'.

Don’t offend Kerry Mills…..😂🫣

I can’t imagine he is a first round pick but I haven’t paid much attention to any recent mocks to see where he is landing.

Jeepers...  The league is doing what it can and Fenton has stated many times that he wants to schedule agreements like this with multiple conferences.  Summit teams hosted something like 30 non-D1 home games last year, but most of you think this is bad news?  You guys will complain about everything won't you?     FYI.. this scheduling agreement actually goes back multiple years, as the Dakota schools and Omaha have been participating since at least 2018, and it could have continued, but it seems that the rest of the schools now want to participate.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Summit_League_men's_basketball_season#Big_Sky/Summit_Challenge

Summit has had a deal with the WAC.  https://wacsports.com/tournaments/summitwacchallenge/2018-19/index  It ended right before Covid and ever since, it's been a revolving door from a membership standpoint.  Pretty difficult to set something like this up when membership continuously changes with hardly any notice.

Horizon was in the works prior to covid.  It probably will be again.  https://horizonleague.org/news/2019/3/6/mens-basketball-horizon-league-summit-league-showdown-to-start-in-2020.aspx?path=mbball

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

You guys will complain about everything won't you?

When the league office settles for rinky-dink arrangements that satisfy only the Dakota schools, such as the Sioux Falls lock on hosting the basketball tourneys, the "Wayne's World" level of MIDCO's coverage, and agreeing to home-and-home games within 3 days of each other in the hinterlands of the northern Louisiana Purchase?

Yeah - count on it.   #DoBetter  #ThinkBigger

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

When the league office settles for rinky-dink arrangements that satisfy only the Dakota schools, such as the Sioux Falls lock on hosting the basketball tourneys, the "Wayne's World" level of MIDCO's coverage, and agreeing to home-and-home games within 3 days of each other in the hinterlands of the northern Louisiana Purchase?

Yeah - count on it.   #DoBetter  #ThinkBigger

Thank God Yes GIF by NETFLIX

PR Points only go so far for the Frozen Tundra league I mean the Summit League.

When Tulsa puts together a competitive bid to host the conference tourney and steps up with a better TV package, then I think we can complain. Until then, any complaints are just spitting into a 50mph wind and wondering why we got wet. 

• Upvote 3

As a St Thomas fan, put me down for being on board with "pandering to" the Dakota schools on Sioux Falls, this scheduling arrangement (we played Montana and Montana State already, Idaho State as well), and the TV package (assuming it's available on ESPN+ or some other easily accessible platform and the likes of Western Illinois and others get elevated from the D3 production level they've been at).

Is there a conference ORU would be happier in? Seems like if these complaints were universal and y'all had such leverage, you'd go elsewhere.

Edited by jamtod

Ah, yes - the eternal response from the hopelessly entrenched:  "LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!"

Will never apologize (or back down) from asking/expecting the conference office to exhibit a fraction of the initiative to become bigger/better that the current ORU athletic administartion has exemplified lately.  #DoBetter  #ThinkBigger