College Baseball 2023 Rankings, Polls & Bracketology

Old Titan

1 minute ago, Bogus Smith said:

I think that we can win at least one loser's bracket game.  If we win game one and get in the winner's bracket, we will win two games at least and be in the championship finals.

ORU has not had an ace the can go toe to toe w/top level P5 weekend arm in years.  never understood why Folmer just doesn't throw a staff day and try to win game 1 and let the chips fall once inside the winners bracket.

You'll notice it's the second time thru the order that things go sideways for ORU w/that 1/4 matchup.  I'd try to get 5 innings out of 2 of the weekend arms an inning from a bullpen guy depending on matchups then hand it off to the All American closer.

What do ya got to lose?

8 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

ORU has not had an ace the can go toe to toe w/top level P5 weekend arm in years.  never understood why Folmer just doesn't throw a staff day and try to win game 1 and let the chips fall once inside the winners bracket.

You'll notice it's the second time thru the order that things go sideways for ORU w/that 1/4 matchup.  I'd try to get 5 innings out of 2 of the weekend arms an inning from a bullpen guy depending on matchups then hand it off to the All American closer.

What do ya got to lose?

You're right that it is usually the second time through the order which the other team does their damage and gets their timing down.  Wes needs to be willing to pull the starter quickly if he sees this and not rack up an insurmountable hole that the bats are unable to overcome. 

Winning the first game is paramount to a successful tournament.  The last few tournaments we have been 0-2, but this team seems to have an offensive punch that can overcome some poor pitching and go toe-to-toe in a hitter's battle.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

What do ya got to lose?

That makes sense and great breakdown. I always reflect back to the Arkansas games of the past where it goes south right after a few innings into the game. Hopefully that’s a plan Coach takes into consideration.

LSU NO. 1 IN COLLEGIATE BASEBALL POLL

ORU moves up to #24 in the Collegiate Baseball poll after sweeping the SDSU Jackrabbits this past weekend.  That's a huge jump for a team that isn't even sniffed at on most of the other polls (only one vote in the USA Today/Coaches' poll and no mention in any of the other polls).

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ORUalum said:

ORU does not have the pitching to compete in a regional.

2 and BBQ

I had thought the same thing, Alum, but while the pitching is not as strong as in prior years, this team is much more well-rounded than any in recent ORU history.  And, that difference may be enough to offset the pitching.

As an example, I compared the current year team stats to the season stats for ORU's six most recent NCAA tourney teams (2012-2022).  Here's where this year's team ranks:

Batting average .315 (2nd, slightly below the .320 in 2015)

Slugging Pct. .539 (1st, ORU is also Top 20 in the country)

HR per game 1.74 (1st, second place was 1.18 per game - the only season of the six above 1 per game)

Runs per game 8.05 (1st)

On-base Pct. .401 (1st)

Stolen base success rate 85.6% (1st)

Stolen bases per game 1.79 (1st)

Fielding Pct. .984 (1st, ranks Top 3 in the country)

ERA 4.15 (6th of 7, only 2018 was worse at 4.40)

Batting average against .245 (4th)

WHIP 1.29 (4th)

While the ERA is substandard, it is only 0.52 higher than the 3.63 average ERA across the six seasons.  Meanwhile, ORU is scoring over 8 runs per game, 1.48 runs above the 6.57 runs per game average for the six seasons.  With the additional power, speed, excellent defense, and a solid closer, this year's team may have what it takes to succeed in a weekend tournament even without a couple of top-line starters.   

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

I had thought the same thing, Alum, but while the pitching is not as strong as in prior years, this team is much more well-rounded than any in recent ORU history.  And, that difference may be enough to offset the pitching.

As an example, I compared the current year team stats to the season stats for ORU's six most recent NCAA tourney teams (2012-2022).  Here's where this year's team ranks:

Batting average .315 (2nd, slightly below the .320 in 2015)

Slugging Pct. .539 (1st, ORU is also Top 20 in the country)

HR per game 1.74 (1st, second place was 1.18 per game - the only season of the six above 1 per game)

Runs per game 8.05 (1st)

On-base Pct. .401 (1st)

Stolen base success rate 85.6% (1st)

Stolen bases per game 1.79 (1st)

Fielding Pct. .984 (1st, ranks Top 3 in the country)

ERA 4.15 (6th of 7, only 2018 was worse at 4.40)

Batting average against .245 (4th)

WHIP 1.29 (4th)

While the ERA is substandard, it is only 0.52 higher than the 3.63 average ERA across the six seasons.  Meanwhile, ORU is scoring over 8 runs per game, 1.48 runs above the 6.57 runs per game average for the six seasons.  With the additional power, speed, excellent defense, and a solid closer, this year's team may have what it takes to succeed in a weekend tournament even without a couple of top-line starters.   

That’s solid stats and breakdown. Thanks.

TheEagleman agrees that ORU doesn't have the pitching depth to win a regional unless we scored a ton of runs....that's hard to do against good Power 5 pitching....I guess it all depends on the regional we draw and the matchups....in order for ORU to have a shot at a #3 seed they will likely have to run the table or perhaps one loss...47-11 or 46-12 might get some attention but our RPI is still going to be in the 80s or 90s....I just don't see anything but a 4 unless a few really bad teams win their conference tournaments.... Image result for oru baseball photos

• Like 1

ORU projected as a 4-Seed in this mid-major baseball bracketology:

18 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

ORU projected as a 4-Seed in this mid-major baseball bracketology:

Hopefully we will be matched with one of the lower-16 seeds rather than one of the national seeds in the tournament.  If we have to play a 1-seed, let it be #15 or #16 seeds.

ORU a 4-Seed in Stillwater in this bracketology.

History has proven that it's just too easy for the baseball selection committee to relegate ORU to a 4-Seed, thus leaving room for a good southern or western at-large team at the 3-Seed, than to do the opposite.  

Like the 15-and-16-Seeds in the basketball tournament, the 4-Seeds in baseball are NEVER going to go to an at-large team; they all go to automatic qualifiers from the low-to-mid-major conferences.

NOTE:  interesting though that Dallas Baptist is looking good to host a regional.  ORU might be a candidate for a 4-Seed there as well, but more likely it will be all Texas schools that typically get sent to Austin but won't this year since the middling Longhorns are likely not hosting.

• Like 1

TheEagleman would gladly take a Stillwater Regional vs. OSU, Oregon and Louisville.....all good schools but not unbeatable....and ORU fans would surely make the one hour drive over to Stillwater....lots of fun there.....heck, TheEagleman might have to fly out if i could get some tix......:tb-blue:

2 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman would gladly take a Stillwater Regional vs. OSU, Oregon and Louisville.....all good schools but not unbeatable....and ORU fans would surely make the one hour drive over to Stillwater....lots of fun there.....heck, TheEagleman might have to fly out if i could get some tix......:tb-blue:

Add me to that mix! I owe you lunch or dinner!

8 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

NOOOOOO!!!!  A worst-case seeding scenario:

Arkansas lost yesterday. What’s Texas St RPI?

we can agree nothing is impossible and we can compete and keep the game close. The offense has to jump out early and as someone mentioned get starters ready to pitch an inning or two like done in past mlb all star games.

2 minutes ago, ORUFanbase said:

Arkansas lost yesterday. What’s Texas St RPI?

we can agree nothing is impossible and we can compete and keep the game close. The offense has to jump out early and as someone mentioned get starters ready to pitch an inning or two like done in past mlb all star games.

Arkansas losses include lipscomb, Missouri St (8-4), TCU, UALR, Ole Miss, & UGA.

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

NOOOOOO!!!!  A worst-case seeding scenario:

The last time that the Golden Eagles went to the Super Regional in 2006, they went 3-0 in the Fayetteville regional - beating OSU twice and the Piggies in the winners bracket (second) game. This team could do that again (IMHO).

• Like 3