College Baseball 2023 Rankings, Polls & Bracketology

Old Titan

Geez.....those numbers are telling.....no reason why ORU should lose more than a couple games this season with those kinds of numbers for the rest of the Summit League....but not really surprising as the SL has been this way for years.....sad that we didn't win the regular season last year and now have to play the tournament in Omaha.....shameful if the Good Guys can't win at least 2 of 3 this weekend up there......:shield-logo:

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Geez.....those numbers are telling.....no reason why ORU should lose more than a couple games this season with those kinds of numbers for the rest of the Summit League....but not really surprising as the SL has been this way for years.....sad that we didn't win the regular season last year and now have to play the tournament in Omaha (worse yet) Fargo.....shameful if the Good Guys can't win at least 2 of 3 this weekend up there......:shield-logo:

• Upvote 1

Sorry I meant Fargo, ND....how did we lose the regular season title to a Football and Basketball school......TheEagleman is embarrassed and our baseball team should be also........Good Guys need to stay focused EVERY WEEKEND and blow these weak Summit teams out......:NDSU::omaha::sdsu:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We will be fine! Stats are cool but don’t always secure wins and attitude. We just need to play ball and get to it!Baseball GIF by ORU Athletics

• 2 weeks later...

Must have been that big comeback victory over OSU......pollsters must have missed the OU debacle 2 weeks ago.....but i guess 27-10 gets some attention and ORU does play a decent OOC schedule......:tb-white:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, titansforever said:

While I love to see the accolades I'm not so sure about this poll  OSU fell out of their top 30 while the Pokes are 24 on the Baseball America Top 25.  

With the 2-1 series win over NDSU, ORU stays ranked #30 in the Collegiate Baseball poll for April 24.  Interesting that OSU re-entered the poll after a week unranked, jumping all the way to #17, powered by their "non-conference" drubbing of OU and a three game sweep at Kansas.

• Like 2

OSU should have never dropped out of their top 30.  This poll has more integrity in my eyes now that OSU is back....not that that should mean anything to anybody.

I know that I'm putting the cart ahead of the course, but that's what fans do...

After this weekend's thrashing of second-place SDSU, the Golden Eagles sit at 32-11 with eleven games to play.  In nine of those games (three at home, six on the road), ORU will play teams with an RPI of 275+ and will be heavily favored to sweep all three of the three-game weekend series.  Two mid-week games remain on the schedule - OSU at home and Wichita on the road. And then comes the Summit League tourney in Fargo.  Let's assume that ORU closes out the regular season 9-2 and wins the Summit tourney (taking the conservative route and assuming one loss after reaching the Championship game, then winning the "if necessary" game  to finish with a 3-1 record).  ORU would be sitting on selection Monday with a very respectable 44-14 record.

While conventional wisdom would say that ORU would earn yet another #4 seed, I would submit that ORU would have a great chance at a #3 seed.  The team has been ranked in the Top 30 in at least one poll for the past two weeks, and should remain in the poll announced tomorrow, so they should have some positive exposure as long as they keep winning. Yes, the early-season home series loss to SFA and the road sweep at DBU do not look good, but DBU is predicted by many to host a regional.  And, the road series win at Texas State and the win in Stillwater help balance out the resume.

History plays in ORU's favor.  In ten of the seasons from 2000-2022, ORU finished with at least 30 wins and less than 15 losses.  In those ten seasons, they advanced to the NCAA tourney every time, earning a (2) or (3) seed 70% of the time - ORU was a (4) seed three times, a (3) seed five times, and a (2) seed twice. 

And, does it really matter???  According to recent history, the answer is YES.  In ORU's 18 NCAA appearances since 2000, the Eagles have a combined record of 20-36 (.357), averaging just over one win per tourney.  But, breaking this down into seeding shows the significance of earning a higher seed:

ORU NCAA record since 2000 as a:

(2) seed 4-4 (.500)

(3) seed 8-12 (.400)

(4) seed 8-20 (.286)

While the Eagles should clinch the Summit regular season title next weekend, they need to keep focused on finishing strong through the season and the Summit tourney. And, if they do, I believe they will have an opportunity at a better seed in the NCAA tournament. 

So, I'm saying they have a chance???  Yes. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

I know that I'm putting the cart ahead of the course, but that's what fans do...

After this weekend's thrashing of second-place SDSU, the Golden Eagles sit at 32-11 with eleven games to play.  In nine of those games (three at home, six on the road), ORU will play teams with an RPI of 275+ and will be heavily favored to sweep all three of the three-game weekend series.  Two mid-week games remain on the schedule - OSU at home and Wichita on the road. And then comes the Summit League tourney in Fargo.  Let's assume that ORU closes out the regular season 9-2 and wins the Summit tourney (taking the conservative route and assuming one loss after reaching the Championship game, then winning the "if necessary" game  to finish with a 3-1 record).  ORU would be sitting on selection Monday with a very respectable 44-14 record.

While conventional wisdom would say that ORU would earn yet another #4 seed, I would submit that ORU would have a great chance at a #3 seed.  The team has been ranked in the Top 30 in at least one poll for the past two weeks, and should remain in the poll announced tomorrow, so they should have some positive exposure as long as they keep winning. Yes, the early-season home series loss to SFA and the road sweep at DBU do not look good, but DBU is predicted by many to host a regional.  And, the road series win at Texas State and the win in Stillwater help balance out the resume.

History plays in ORU's favor.  In ten of the seasons from 2000-2022, ORU finished with at least 30 wins and less than 15 losses.  In those ten seasons, they advanced to the NCAA tourney every time, earning a (2) or (3) seed 70% of the time - ORU was a (4) seed three times, a (3) seed five times, and a (2) seed twice. 

And, does it really matter???  According to recent history, the answer is YES.  In ORU's 18 NCAA appearances since 2000, the Eagles have a combined record of 20-36 (.357), averaging just over one win per tourney.  But, breaking this down into seeding shows the significance of earning a higher seed:

ORU NCAA record since 2000 as a:

(2) seed 4-4 (.500)

(3) seed 8-12 (.400)

(4) seed 8-20 (.286)

While the Eagles should clinch the Summit regular season title next weekend, they need to keep focused on finishing strong through the season and the Summit tourney. And, if they do, I believe they will have an opportunity at a better seed in the NCAA tournament. 

So, I'm saying they have a chance???  Yes. 

IMHO since the Summit is so bad; with no other teams with an overall record above 500, Tuesday's game against OSU will be huge for us to have a shot at anything but a #4 seed. If we can get a strong home win it really helps us have a chance at a possible #3 seed, if we get thumped at home like we did against OU we will almost certainly be a #4 seed. Should be great attendance, a fantastic atmosphere and hopefully the Golden Eagles put it to pistol Pete Tuesday at JLJ!! 

• Upvote 2

Regardless of our seeding, I think that we have a chance to make some noise at the regional that we are sent.  We have a great combination of hitters (offense), starting pitching, strong defense - especially up the middle, and a bullpen that can hold its own (plus a top-shelf closer). 

From a different perspective, if we go 12-0 in the remaining regular season games, and sweep the SL tournament in Fargo, ND, we will be 47-11 and a shoo-in for a #3 seed at least, with an outside chance at a #2 seed.  We don't play in a good enough conference to do any better than a #2 seed - even if we had won the series with SFA and DBU in the nonconference part of our schedule.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

Regardless of our seeding, I think that we have a chance to make some noise at the regional that we are sent.  We have a great combination of hitters (offense), starting pitching, strong defense - especially up the middle, and a bullpen that can hold its own (plus a top-shelf closer). 

From a different perspective, if we go 12-0 in the remaining regular season games, and sweep the SL tournament in Fargo, ND, we will be 47-11 and a shoo-in for a #3 seed at least, with an outside chance at a #2 seed.  We don't play in a good enough conference to do any better than a #2 seed - even if we had won the series with SFA and DBU in the nonconference part of our schedule.

ORU’s RPI is 85 following this weekend’s sweep of SDSU.

Winning 45+ games vs. this schedule will most likely warrant nothing better than a 3-seed. 

ORU does not have the pitching to compete in a regional.

2 and BBQ

1 hour ago, ORUalum said:

2 and BBQ

It all depends on whether ORU is a 4-seed or a 3-seed, and how good that first-game opposing ace is.

If the Golden Eagles can somehow manage to win that first-day match-up, it makes things SO much easier moving forward.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

It all depends on whether ORU is a 4-seed or a 3-seed, and how good that first-game opposing ace is.

If the Golden Eagles can somehow manage to win that first-day match-up, it makes things SO much easier moving forward.

Agreed. The bats have to do lots of talking. I reflect in the past super regional games where they played A&M along with Arkansas close and lack of runs ending the game. Our pitching can get rocked but we need to tighten that up too along with the bats. 

3 hours ago, ORUalum said:

2 and BBQ

I think that we can win at least one loser's bracket game.  If we win game one and get in the winner's bracket, we will win two games at least and be in the championship finals.