Proactive ORU Wants Mills For '20 More Years' (Tulsa World)

Old Titan

8 minutes ago, ORUFanbase said:

Time will tell. Hope Mills stays.

WWSDD - What would Scott Drew Do?

Mills should stay, there is a good chance he maybe a school or two away from playing for a chance to win it all if he leaves.

Mills stays the university will work very hard to get him money and other resources. 

59 minutes ago, ORUFanbase said:

WWSDD - What would Scott Drew Do?

That’s easy. He left valpo to coach at Baylor and the rest is history. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

That’s easy. He left valpo to coach at Baylor and the rest is history. 

Good point but he was at Valpo one season. Drew has been at Baylor for more and I believe ORU is Mills Baylor.

24 minutes ago, ORUFanbase said:

Good point but he was at Valpo one season. Drew has been at Baylor for more and I believe ORU is Mills Baylor.

Scott Drew grew up at Valpo.  The Drew name was synonymous to what the Sutton name is to OSU or Mills to ORU, and yet he seized an opportunity when it presented itself.  Who knows what motivates a coach's decision in those situations.  It could be as little as a bad experience with getting the cooperation of an instructor's understanding of a student-athlete's academic progress or a bad interaction with support from administration. It isn't always about the Benjamins, but it does get a coach's attention to have the discussion with an interested party.

Regardless, coaches (including assistant coaches) are the only ones responsible in managing their own careers.  Hopefully Coach Mills and his staff feel appreciated and supported in their endeavor for making ORU basketball synonymous with excellence and making this basketball program a place where student-athletes can progress to the next level in their athletic and life aspirations.

• Upvote 4

It seems ORU is doing everything it possibly can to keep Mills. I would think the new facilities are by far the best in the conference and probably rival most Big 12 schools. 

With the raise i am assuming he is the highest paid coach in the conference also? 

With Scott Drew he left in a heartbeat for the Baylor job as huge step up for him. When the Kentucky job opens up he will be 1rst in line trying to get it. It is his dream job if you will. 

If Baylor opens up Mills agent will be on the line quickly trying to get him an interview. ( i would think) 

The facilities will be a game changer in the type of guys ORU is able to get going forward. 

Money is a big factor in a coaches decision on where to dedicate his time, but another factor that is often downplayed here, is the ability to compete at the highest levels. 

I look at a guy like Mills, and see someone who lives and breathes to win. He has done a great deal for ORU basketball, but he is limited in competing at the highest level by more than what he is able to personally earn each year.

As we enter the same predicament we faced with Sutton, where we got what we wanted, a coach that would stay, I now feel for him and the situation he found himself in. I can understand the choice you must make as a coach in the Summit league, accept the situation as it is, and do your best, or leave for a school that gives you the ability to recruit from a larger pool, and has more opportunity to make it to the big dance. 

I believe our school has been blessed with the head coaches we have had during my time watching, and I will continue to feel blessed whenever we are put in position to be nationally recognized. 

As discussed in the Sioux Falls invitational thread, the Summit may be the best we can do at this point, and that will be very limiting to a coach who has final four aspirations. 

• Upvote 3

Yeah if Coach Mills wants to be in the Final Four.....well, he has a much better shot with a school like Baylor.....give the man a nice bump for what he did this season and let's ride it out...no extension needed....ORU blessed to have Mills and if he wants to go bigger then God Bless him.....ORU is now a very attractive job for up and coming young coaches.....heck, I see the FDU guy bolted already after one season for Iona.....wonder if he will take his boys from St. Thomas Aquinas with him?......FDU will be back in the basement next season but a great run while it lasted...beating Purdue perhaps the biggest college upset of all time short of Chaminade over Georgetown in the 1980s......😮

• Like 1

TheEagleman will just add this from personal life experiences.....I am have worked all my adult life for insurance companies which i know is different from basketball obviously but the principle still applies....I have worked for large companies and small ones.....I do not personally know Paul Mills other than from a few emails but for me....i would rather be a big fish in a small pond than the opposite....i really enjoy working for the smaller organization where everybody knows each other and I can personally chat with the VPs and CEO.....as pointed out by someone else previously it's not always about the $$$ and money isn't surely going to buy a better life as we all know....my current company i took a cut in pay to come here and TheEagleman has never been happier then these past 8 years.....there is something to be said for comfort, security and being happy and not overwhelmed by the outside world and its ungodly influences.....I could be totally wrong but Coach Mills seems like an ORU kind of guy for life....he can make a very decent living for his family and provide a nice home and be around to watch his kids grow into adults....if he is at a Power 5 school then there are a big list of other priorities and people to please.....hopefully ORU and Mills can make this work together because clearly it IS working....pay him what he is worth and what is fair within the budget of the University.....and all that said hopefully he doesn't quit later this week.....lol.....:hc_mills:

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman will just add this from personal life experiences.....I am have worked all my adult life for insurance companies which i know is different from basketball obviously but the principle still applies....I have worked for large companies and small ones.....I do not personally know Paul Mills other than from a few emails but for me....i would rather be a big fish in a small pond than the opposite....i really enjoy working for the smaller organization where everybody knows each other and I can personally chat with the VPs and CEO.....as pointed out by someone else previously it's not always about the $$$ and money isn't surely going to buy a better life as we all know....my current company i took a cut in pay to come here and TheEagleman has never been happier then these past 8 years.....there is something to be said for comfort, security and being happy and not overwhelmed by the outside world and its ungodly influences.....I could be totally wrong but Coach Mills seems like an ORU kind of guy for life....he can make a very decent living for his family and provide a nice home and be around to watch his kids grow into adults....if he is at a Power 5 school then there are a big list of other priorities and people to please.....hopefully ORU and Mills can make this work together because clearly it IS working....pay him what he is worth and what is fair within the budget of the University.....and all that said hopefully he doesn't quit later this week.....lol.....:hc_mills:

Very well said Eagleman! You make some very good points. Early on in my career I worked for a big national company and quickly realized how much politics and unethical behavior  was involved and how  higher ups controlled my future who i didn't know or ever meet. Since then I have chosen to work for smaller companies and since 2004 have owned a bus company. We employee 33 people and I thoroughly enjoy knowing each one of them and interacting with them on a personal basis. People ask me often when are you going to retire and I tell them not for a long while as I enjoy what I do. Like Eagleman I believe the same holds true in coaching. Some coaches want to coach at a power 5 level and make big $, but with the big bucks there is a hefty price tag. For every 1 Bill Self there are 100's of coaches who made the big bucks for  few years and were then fired for whatever reason. Bottom line is if  $ is your driving force go for the biggest best offer you can find and ride the wave as long as you can. If you want the intangibles like Eagleman stated as well as make a nice living and likely create a legacy without as much politics and stress then ORU is a great choice. One thing is for certain you can't buy a legacy, that takes time which is one thing Mills has so far at ORU. I predict Mills stays.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I was in Wichita yesterday and talking sports up there.  I haven’t confirmed the details, but basically the most recent Coach there got at the most 2 years and was then ran off.  That definitely would not happen at ORU.

40 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

I was in Wichita yesterday and talking sports up there.  I haven’t confirmed the details, but basically the most recent Coach there got at the most 2 years and was then ran off.  That definitely would not happen at ORU.

You weren't up there with Coach Mills negotiating a longer-term deal than the previous guy, were you? 😉  #wellplayedsirwellplayed

• Haha 1

TheEagleman will say it....I FEEL VIOLATED.....🤢

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1