Off-Season 2023

ORUSwagger

22 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

I have to respectfully disagree Ron. We don't need 7 footers that can shoot over 7-footers from the perimeter, the 2 Duke 7-footers had 1 three-point attempt between them, but they had 21 boards, 6 blocks and 4 steals and completely disrupted our offense by switching on the ball screens. 

We need bigs that play like bigs, like the Duke big guys do. We need big guys that play defense and rebound!! And ask yourself, why would a 7-footer want to play in an offense that is guard dominated and the only time you are going to get a shot is when the 2 or 3 6-foot guards can't jack up a 3 and you are the last option! 

We need to accept that if you are going to live by the 3, you are going to die by the 3 and it could be ugly when we do. 

I agree so much, @ORU40  When we first landed Connor and there was all the talk about how how he could shoot the 3, I stated on this board that a guy his size should be REBOUNDING, BLOCKING SHOTS and DUNKING with authority on a regular basis...His 3 point shooting should be a distant 4th to those things, IMO.  I get that he's a "great pick and pop guy" but most of the time when taking his 3's, I cringed (even when he made them).  Usually that left small guys, if anyone, there for a rebound--which is coming off the rim ~65% of the time.  

To be clear, I'm not trying to be critical of CV.  I appreciate him very much.  I am very glad he found ORU and would love another year with him.  I simply wish his three point shooting was not such a priority for him when we have other capable shooters.

Rob

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

I have to respectfully disagree Ron. We don't need 7 footers that can shoot over 7-footers from the perimeter, the 2 Duke 7-footers had 1 three-point attempt between them, but they had 21 boards, 6 blocks and 4 steals and completely disrupted our offense by switching on the ball screens. 

We need bigs that play like bigs, like the Duke big guys do. We need big guys that play defense and rebound!! And ask yourself, why would a 7-footer want to play in an offense that is guard dominated and the only time you are going to get a shot is when the 2 or 3 6-foot guards can't jack up a 3 and you are the last option! 

We need to accept that if you are going to live by the 3, you are going to die by the 3 and it could be ugly when we do. 

ORU40, Paul Mills brought in Vanover knowing that his skills would enable us to win the Summit. Anything beyond that was a hope, I think, more than a plan. Vanover is not an imposing post presence! He has height and can overcome his lack of girth with that against smaller players. On the video on YouTube that shows his warm-up, it shows how he focuses on hitting threes. That is his other weapon, but last night, his threes weren't falling either. Even he was not used to a 7-footer guarding the perimeter sticking a hand in his face with the ability to jump higher than he can. And who was the 7-footer that came off the bench and went 3-3 on threes for them? There is nothing that says tall people can't hit threes. Let's recruit some athletic bigs that can both defend under the basket and drain threes.

Our team was not exclusively based on hitting threes, were they? Yes, 3s were a major part of our strategy, but we could go slice to the basket as well. A couple of athletic bigs that can hit threes could help us do both better, no? I know I'm dreaming with my hope here, but I believe it is possible for the next level of what we want to do.

Guess maybe THEEAGLEMAN was right about Vanover after all???....Maybe starting him last night was a mistake???....Image result for George Costanza

• Upvote 1

Is this "throw all your players under the bus time"? Could we have a thread with that title for all the posters that want to go there? I don't, and this isn't just virtue signalling. Everyone has limits to their skills. All anyone can do is use their skills to the best of their abilities. Vanover did that all season. Last night, for reasons that I mentioned, he had trouble doing that. That doesn't make the strategy wrong! What big did he have to train against to get ready for what was coming at him last night?

Max Abmas, one of the key players in getting us here, did everything he could last night to distribute the ball to open guys to make shots that subsequently missed. He made the right reads, but with the unusual quality of defence that we were facing for the first time in a long time, our players were not knocking down shots. Max then responded but taking ever more desperate threes, hoping he could overcome the adversity (and the double-team). It didn't work! Last night at least, we were over-matched.

Can we please make our comments respectfully? 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, ron said:

Is this "throw all your players under the bus time"? Could we have a thread with that title for all the posters that want to go there? I don't, and this isn't just virtue signalling. Everyone has limits to their skills. All anyone can do is use their skills to the best of their abilities. Vanover did that all season. Last night, for reasons that I mentioned, he had trouble doing that. That doesn't make the strategy wrong! What big did he have to train against to get ready for what was coming at him last night?

Max Abmas, one of the key players in getting us here, did everything he could last night to distribute the ball to open guys to make shots that subsequently missed. He made the right reads, but with the unusual quality of defence that we were facing for the first time in a long time, our players were not knocking down shots. Max then responded but taking ever more desperate threes, hoping he could overcome the adversity (and the double-team). It didn't work! Last night at least, we were over-matched.

Can we please make our comments respectfully? 

I hope your comment wasn't directed at me, @ron...I wasn't throwing anyone under the bus.  I even closed with a comment specifically about my appreciation for Connor and I wish he would decide to return for another season.  I simply wish that shooting 3's was less of a prioirty for him.  That's all.  Relax...

Rob

• Upvote 1

I think Josh Jones from Austin coming in next year will be more of a traditional big.  Also, I doubt ORU lands Vanover without the promise showcasing his outside shot 🤷‍♂️ Connor had quite a few offers.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ORob1 said:

I hope your comment wasn't directed at me, @ron...I wasn't throwing anyone under the bus.  I even closed with a comment specifically about my appreciation for Connor and I wish he would decide to return for another season.  I simply wish that shooting 3's was less of a prioirty for him.  That's all.  Relax.

Rob

@ORob1, if the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it. If my comment doesn't find any resonance, so be it. It's just an observation that I am making, that's all. While we are criticizing players for what they do or have done, it is still important for us to do what we (usually) do well. Just saying. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I think Josh Jones from Austin coming in next year will be more of a traditional big.  Also, I doubt ORU lands Vanover without the promise showcasing his outside shot 🤷‍♂️ Connor had quite a few offers.

Yeah, I don't think we would've won the Summit again without Vanover. As much as we wish the Summit was bigger and better, winning the Summit isn't automatic for us. Until it is, we should probably be more worried about how our own team is doing. Thank God we found the solution this year. May we be able to repeat that again next year and do even better at the Dance 😇. I know this sounds presumptuous, but I think that is our goal, right?

Maybe Josh Jones helps us with that!

3 minutes ago, ron said:

@ORob1, if the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it. If my comment doesn't find any resonance, so be it. It's just an observation that I am making, that's all. While we are criticizing players for what they do or have done, it is still important for us to do what we (usually) do well. Just saying. 

That's fair.  I suppose your response was the first one I read after my post so it seemed like it was aimed at me...For the record, I have loved this season, the accomplishments and certainly the players that are responsible for it.  This is a special group and I'd love to have even one of our Seniors decide to stick around and lead us again next year.  We got a really terrible draw and that's that.  I STILL believe we're capable of beating perhaps half the teams in the tourney, but we'll never know.  I'm now hoping Duke destroys everyone in their path and wins it all.  Maybe I'll feel a little better then. 

Go Blue Devils!

Rob 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, ORob1 said:

We got a really terrible draw and that's that.  I STILL believe we're capable of beating perhaps half the teams in the tourney, but we'll never know.  I'm now hoping Duke destroys everyone in their path and wins it all.  Maybe I'll feel a little better then. 

Completely agree @ORob1 . Just a terrible draw. Any other 5 and there would have been a much better chance!

• Upvote 3

TheEagleman was just making a joke and appreciates Conner Vanover's contributions this season in Summit League play....he was just overmatched last night vs top notch young big guys.....I am fine if he wants to come back for a 2nd year at 7777 So. Lewis.....and I am also fine if a certain poster from the far north wants to go back to spending more time on his Winnepeg Jets Chat Board.....Image result for Cosmo Kramer

• Haha 5

29 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

This is exactly right. Vanover is a big who likes to play outside. The banging inside against guys is not the type of player he is. No problem with that at all.  ORU just happened to run into a team that has 3 bigs that can do both. Yea...Duke gets those guys every year. Part of the deal. It happens.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Completely agree @ORob1 . Just a terrible draw. Any other 5 and there would have been a much better chance!

Literally one of the 4 or 5 worse matchups ORU could have had. Not sure who would have been worse overall besides maybe Alabama or Houston again. ( Rather play them without Sasser by the way.)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ORU40 said:

In reality those type of guys are going to ACC or Big 12 or SEC types BUT there are guys that are 6'8" or 6'10" that ORU will be able to get. Hopefully in the portal. 

Having a guy that you can toss the ball inside to really opens up the offense and makes life easier for the guards. 

Imagine a guy like Ryan Young the big that Duke brought off the bench last night. Toss the ball into him and he just gets buckets. Goodness that is nice luxury.:)

I watch teams like Xavier or Virginia and i know ORU would have been in those games. Duke was just a horrible matchup overall. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

The best thing about this off-season is that we the fans can watch any or all of the 16 home wins on the ORU Sports Network! Good memories

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...