NCAA Tournament 23

Keenan Henderson

UConn looks like they could win the tournament.  Good inside and outside, plus very tough on defense.  Then again they could lose in the next round.  You just never know in the NCAA tournament!

3 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

UConn looks like they could win the tournament.  Good inside and outside, plus very tough on defense.  Then again they could lose in the next round.  You just never know in the NCAA tournament!

It's amazing to me how physical these games are. It is a brawl under the basket on just about every possession.

It just shows that a good team needs grown men inside who can control the paint but they also need shooters to open the lane.  A good combination of each makes a team Final Four ready.  

ORU had guys like Owens, White, E-man but the guards were very young and then other times the Eagles had great guards but really no post presence.  Hopefully, Coach Springmann can put together a team that has both!

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

K-State beats Michigan State 98-93 in OT in the most exciting and well-played game of the tourney so far.  Wildcat point guard Marquis Nowell breaks the all-time NCAA tournament record with 19 assists in the game.  Glad to see Jerome Tang reach the Elite Eight.  

On a bad ankle no less! Incredible performance n one of the best I've ever seen. Great game

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Surprise, surprise! Florida Atlantic advances to the Elite 8!  They are one of the teams coming to the AAC to face Coach Mills next season.  The league may not be easy after all.

Alabama and Houston out.....which kills TheEaglemans' chances of a winning bracket......but what a crazy tournament with some exciting newcomers like FAU, San Diego St and Creighton.....anybody else besides TheEagleman get nauseous when Baylor Scheiermann was interviewed post game???.....seems like a cocky SOB......Image result for Baylor Scheierman

• Upvote 1

I know the Houston Sports Authority and whoever else is responsible for bringing the Final Four here is probably rooting for Texas and I guess K-State now.

Otherwise, could end up with some combination of Florida Atlantic, Creighton, Gonzaga, Miami and UConn.

Bad for them, good for me trying to score a ticket on the secondary market.

Florida Atlantic has had a special run to the Final Four!  Only the second time they have been to the Big Dance and first time even winning games in the tournament.  Great to see the underdog breaking everyone's bracket!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

UConn just steamrolling it's way to the Final Four. Tournament margin of victory is 22 ppg 

Either FAU, San Diego St or Creighton is going to the NCAA Title game a week from Monday Night....who would have thought??? 😮

• Upvote 3

Two 5 seeds headed to the Final Four....I guess being a 12 this year not such a good deal after all.....who would imagined UConn as the highest remaining seed at 4 along with a pair of 5s and a 9......totally head scratching but should make for a fun weekend in Houston next week....😎

• Upvote 1

Very interesting thread of tweets re: NCAA tournament payouts.

I did not realize that First Four winners (such as Texas A&M-Corpus Christi) earn a full $2 million unit for that game, in addition to their 16-v-1 match-up.

In other words:  the Southland Conference made twice as much money this year ($4 million) to split amongst its members, as the Summit League ($2 miilion) with a 12-seed one-and-done ORU.

Doesnt really seem equitable, does it?

Regardless, it validates a position I have held for years:  in the event of a less-than-stellar regular season, I would love to see ORU play on the First Four as an unexpected Summit League tournament champion.

It would be a wonderful surprise to win in Sioux Falls as the underdog, the First Four is in a reasonably accessible location in Dayton, it's always a VERY winnable game, and now double the money with a win?  Sign me up!

• Upvote 1

So does that mean ORU only got 200,000 whether they made the tournament or not?  It said they split 2 million with the whole league (10 teams).

6 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

So does that mean ORU only got 200,000 whether they made the tournament or not?  It said they split 2 million with the whole league (10 teams).

My understanding was that each conference splits differently and that the Summit gives 1/2 to the participant and splits the remainder among the other 9 member schools. Someone correct me if I'm wrong? 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Each conference has a different policy, but they call the shots - the conference gets the $2 million per unit, not their school(s) in the dance.

Some leagues give a larger percentage to the school(s) who actually make it or go furthest, but many (most?) just lump it all together each year and dole it out evenly to all member schools.

The question has been asked - and I don't know the answer - whether Florida Atlantic will see a dime of C-USA's share (5 units and counting from their trip to the Final Four)), since the Owls are moving to the American Athletic Conference on June 1st.  Or will FAU instead share in whatever the AAC hands out to its member instititions (4 units from Houston and Memphis between whatever number of schools they are counting).

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Each conference has a different policy, but they call the shots - the conference gets the $2 million per unit, not their school(s) in the dance.

Some leagues give a larger percentage to the school(s) who actually make it or go furthest, but many (most?) just lump it all together each year and dole it out evenly to all member schools.

The question has been asked - and I don't know the answer - whether Florida Atlantic will see a dime of C-USA's share (5 units and counting from their trip to the Final Four)), since the Owls are moving to the American Athletic Conference on June 1st.  Or will FAU instead share in whatever the AAC hands out to its member instititions (4 units from Houston and Memphis between whatever number of schools they are counting).

This is a complicated Math question here…..😂

5 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

My understanding was that each conference splits differently and that the Summit gives 1/2 to the participant and splits the remainder among the other 9 member schools. Someone correct me if I'm wrong? 

It used to be that the conference split the bounty (now) 12 ways.  1 unit goes to the conference office, 1 unit goes to each of the conference schools and the school that played gets an extra unit.  I don't know if that is still the arrangements - especially in light of the Sanford money supporting the SL offices.