ORU at Kansas City

theeagleman5

Good Guys on another roll heading to KC for a rematch with the always tough Roos who are 10-14 and coming off a tough loss at home to SDSU....it took a Max 45 foot bomb at the buzzer to beat KC at Mabee last month and TheEagleman is expecting another 40 minute battle this Saturday evening.....glad to hear a couple buses of ORU students will be going to the game for vocal support along with the usual number of ORU Alums from the KC area.....should be a really good matchup.....let the discussion begin...... :tb-white:

The key to this battle will be who controls the rebounds off the KC backboard.  The #1 defensive rebounding team in the Summit League (#12 in the nation) vs. the #1 offensive rebounding team in the Summit League (#7 in the nation).  If we can deny the second chance buckets, and control the boards, we will not have to rely on a last-second shot for victory (IMHO).  Mitchell will be a handful on the perimeter, but we have several "Mitchells" to counter that threat.  The good guys win in the end, but it will be a fight on Saturday.

KC has been starting three 6'9 guys the last couple of games.  The Roos put one of these bigs on the point guard (most likely Max) and then clog up the lane with the others.  Interesting defensive strategy and we will see how ORU handles it.  I think the Eagles are going to have to make a few threes to loosen up this defense.  North Dakota was able to get hot from long range distance and beat KC by double digits.  

Mills said during the Al Jerkins interview, that he felt like the two areas we needed improvement in the most was rebounding, and "personnel", which I understood to mean, basically scouting players/and defending certain players better. 

#21 Mitchell and #5 Allen seemed a notch above the rest offensively, and with Mills comments this week, I hope we have a focused effort on those guys. If we contain those two, I'm confident we can win by double digits. 

• Upvote 1

Kansas City likes to keep games in the 60s while ORU has a preference for the 80s and 90s....something has to give and TheEagleman expects something like the photo posted by OKCEagle above....we need to stick a fork in them early and not let the Roos hang around and have dreams of an upset.....EaglemanJR is a student of KenPom and pointed out to me in a text last night ORU is 4th in the nation in Offensive Efficiency behind Toledo, Gonzaga and Houston at 1.137 points per possession...while KC is 293rd......the Roos usually play us tough but honestly this should not be close if you go by the numbers.........:tb-blue:

Mills teams at ORU have a history of struggling against league opponents the second time around; February last season was a disaster defensively.

But, I've been amazed at what the staff has dialed up so far this season, particularly on the defensive end.  Every game seems to feature a new defensive wrinkle, and the results bear out the improvement.

Fascinated to see how the team performs with so many days to prepare for an opponent!

• Like 1

Defensively ORU ranks 93rd currently in efficiency at .965 points per possession....KC is 152nd at .993.....so the Good Guys are in the top 1/3 in the nation this season....a big improvement over 2021-22.....:tb-white:

This game and the following game against St. Thomas in Minneapolis are the two remaining games that scare me the most.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

This game and the following game against St. Thomas in Minneapolis are the two remaining games that scare me the most.

every road game scares me...travel, illness, North Forty referees, inspired home team play, etc. all play a factor.

• Upvote 3

Winning on the road is always difficult even if playing at Haskell.....well....maybe that's a stretch but the game at KC tomorrow night, St. Thomas and SDSU all will require maximum effort from the Good Guys.....KC crowd will be pumped as ORU always has the target on our backs being undefeated in Summit League play.....thankfully we will have two busloads of students and the always boistrous KC area Alums in attendance....TheEagleman expects a hard fought 40 minute game just like at Mabee Center last month but the Golden Eagles will pull it out at the end....ORU 78  Kansas City 73......GO BLUE!!! :tb-white:

• Upvote 1

Alumni email I got said only is one bus of students, but it should be the rowdy bunch. I will be there yelling twice as loud. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

ORU is -9.5.....if TheEagleman were still a betting man I would probably take KC and the points...expecting a closer game under double digits....😬

KC was able to keep the game close at the Mabee Center because they hit some three pointers, which they usually struggle with.  ORU's defense as of late has been better in regards to guarding the outside shots.  If that keeps up then the Eagles should win tonight.  Scouting report: slow down the threes and ORU goes home 12-0 in conference play.

Did the team bus up to KC yesterday or did they fly? Let's go Blue!! 😎:circle-logoi:😎

4 hours ago, vcboy2000 said:

Getting on the road to head to KC now. Excited to get in their coach's head again tonight. 🤣😂

We have other friends headed for the game tonight. Makes me feel like kind of a slacker.