Is it time for a 24-second shot clock in men's college basketball?

ORUTex

Interesting article that notes International rules have moved to a 24-second clock and the NCAA may follow, starting with experimenting with it in the NIT this year. Hope we don't get to experience that. Our old nemesis Jamie Dixon (Pittsburgh, TCU) is all for it.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35560922/is-24-second-shot-clock-men-college-basketball

• Upvote 1

Everyone is different but I am all for it.  ORU usually plays at a very fast pace and it would be right up Coach Mills ally.  Bring back the old days of running and gunning basketball: UNLV Running Rebels, Arkansas and 40 minutes of heck, and OU/Billy Tubbs days.  I always liked that run/gun style of the late 80s and early 90s.  It worked because UNLV and Arkansas both won NCAA Championships.

Some people like the old grind it out and defensive battles.  They have their place but still prefer uptempo college basketball.  

I think moving from the 35 second clock to a 30 second clock was the right move, but at the college level I don’t think the 24 second clock would allow for the full range of ball movement that makes college basketball so enjoyable to watch.

I much prefer the college game to the NBA game style.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ORUJason said:

I think moving from the 35 second clock to a 30 second clock was the right move, but at the college level I don’t think the 24 second clock would allow for the full range of ball movement that makes college basketball so enjoyable to watch.

I much prefer the college game to the NBA game style.

I agree. It just seems like there's a lot of momentum to standardize everything at 24 seconds. But that still feels too short for college to me.

Yes many Oklahoma high school basketball games are unwatchable in the 4th quarter.  I totally agree.

10 hours ago, MrsSmith said:

How embarrassing and disheartening this must be for the players. Shame on these two coaches. (unless there's more to the story)

Wonder what the coaches had to say?......back in about 1977 before the NCAA shot clock the U. of Tennessee and Temple U. played an 11-6 game....look it up....the Owls held the ball for long periods of time to try to keep the game close vs. a superior Volunteer squad.....to this day they have never been invited back to Knoxville....😬

I read an article where someone opined that maybe it was an attempt by one or both coaches trying to convince Oklahoma high school coaches to initiate a shot clock. That is a stretch, but it seems more acceptable than the coaches playing a game like this on purpose. 

3 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

I read an article where someone opined that maybe it was an attempt by one or both coaches trying to convince Oklahoma high school coaches to initiate a shot clock. That is a stretch, but it seems more acceptable than the coaches playing a game like this on purpose. 

A-na-dar-ko ...clap, clap, clap-clap-clap. @Texasgrip imagine playing in the pep band at this thriller.

I'm confused by Weatherford's role in this. They're the better team, 19-1 coming into the game and playing at home. Why didn't they just come out and guard Anadarko for a couple of possessions? That usually kills this sort of thing. It's not like they were playing against Dean Smith and Phil Ford running the 4 corners. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That’s why some people think this may have been a set up to show that Oklahoma high school basketball needs a shot clock. 

• Upvote 2