All Millennium Team

SonofaLegend

Mwamba’s play as seemed off a bit the last 2 weeks. More so on the offensive end but he is in foul trouble more too. I hope he figures that out quick. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

I think Meloy had to be convinced to come back for his final season since he had graduated and been admitted to law school. He played infrequently the following season and Sutton, to his eternal shame, never put Meloy into the NCAA game - even though we were getting blown out. I heard that Andrew was bitter about that. At times, Sutton could be clueless - and classless  

Truth!!

I was a bit too harsh with that comment - but Sutton not getting Meloy in that NCAA tournament game was pretty bad. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

I was a bit too harsh with that comment - but Sutton not getting Meloy in that NCAA tournament game was pretty bad. 

To be fair* you didn't say he was classless you said he "could be classless."   I read that to be an important distinction between a sweeping statement that this is a classless person and your more narrow statement that at time this person exhibits classless behavior.  

*This is becoming the most overused phrase on the message board so I seized the opportunity to be on trend.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

I hear you, Terry. And you are correct, that was a mistake. I would imagine one he probably regrets. 

Truth is, both Sutton and Mills are really good guys, with a LOT of similarities (personality and as coaches). 

• Upvote 2

Here is an idea: if you could put together your all ORU team from any decade and you had 13 scholarships (average on today's team).  Who would that team be?  Might want to even it out with say: 5 guards, 5 forwards, and 3 centers but really anything goes.

3 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Here is an idea: if you could put together your all ORU team from any decade and you had 13 scholarships (average on today's team).  Who would that team be?  Might want to even it out with say: 5 guards, 5 forwards, and 3 centers but really anything goes.

I like the idea Keenan, that's basically how I composed my list, before realizing that it looked more like a list for the All-American awards or something, ranking players against one another. Personally (especially after watching the dunkfest from the past against UMKC) it's so tough to compare the players from different eras!

Imagine Robert Jarvis playing with Max Abmas.

Here's another fun way to approach the discussion IMO;

Team Vegas

Max Abmas

Ken Tutt

Obi Emegano

Larry Owens

Conner Vanover

Team Navy

Isaac McBride

Robert Jarvis

Kareem Thompson

Caleb Green 

Kevin Obanor

I think Caleb would be able to get Conner In foul trouble. Conner is unbelievable at avoiding fouls.

Here would be the 13 I would take for the All time ORU team (remember that I started following ORU in 2002):

Guards: Max, RJ Fuqua Sr., Anthony Roberts, Greg Sutton and Ken Tutt.

Forwards: Caleb Green, Morrison, E-man, Jeff Acres, and Kevin Obanor

Centers: Mark Acres, Bell-Holter, and Connor Vanouver

Leaving off some of the older guys that might place Connor or E-man because I simply do not know enough about them.

Here is a former ORU standout Jasper Hooks. He is reffing my grandson’s basketball game in Inola and I’m hoping my ORU connection will land us some favorable calls!

65A117A3-09FD-4631-BD0D-B997F807846B.jpeg

• Like 2

Jasper and his wife have called games around Tulsa for years, including my son's teams that I coached in summer league and travel ball.  I don't think he ever "T"ed me up, but I think she did!  LOL

I've heard before that Jasper says he played at ORU, but he is not listed as a letterwinner in the ORU record book. 

Perhaps he starred under another name...🤔

ORU letterwinners.jpeg

I remember hearing the name Jasper Hooks because I think he went to ORU while I was a student there.  I have come across a Tulsa World article, a Daily Oklahoman article, and a link to "Ainsworth Sports" that each reference Jasper Hooks being at ORU.

The Daily Oklahoman article lists Jasper as having been declared ineligible by the NAIA.

The Ainsworth Sports link lists Jasper Hooks as the 26th best player in ORU history.

The Tulsa World article is not accessible to me because I do not have a subscription, but probably contains the most detailed information about the situation.

35 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

I remember hearing the name Jasper Hooks because I think he went to ORU while I was a student there.  I have come across a Tulsa World article, a Daily Oklahoman article, and a link to "Ainsworth Sports" that each reference Jasper Hooks being at ORU.

The Daily Oklahoman article lists Jasper as having been declared ineligible by the NAIA.

The Ainsworth Sports link lists Jasper Hooks as the 26th best player in ORU history.

The Tulsa World article is not accessible to me because I do not have a subscription, but probably contains the most detailed information about the situation.

https://tulsaworld.com/archive/lost-time-keeps-hooks-from-producing-in-cba/article_cfe73ba0-f37d-576d-98a9-2d1474fcda65.html

Declared ineligible by NAIA when at ORU

Jasper was a transfer from Georgia. He came with much fanfare at the time. He is a large man and was quite nimble. He was on basketball scholarship at ORU for 3 years, but was ruled ineligible and sadly never saw the court.

Plus, he was a really nice guy. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1