NET Rankings 22-23

TrueBlue82

NCAA Statistics.pdf

The first NET rankings of the season were released this morning.  I've attached a pdf of the Summit League.  Some interesting observations (IMHO):

• ORU ranked #70, much higher than the KenPomeroy ranking.  In this analysis, it only reports on D-1 games, so lists ORU's record as 2-3.  And, ORU's SOS is #1 (here we go again - strike up the social media campaign!).  At least in this case, the SOS ranking aligns with the W-L record.
  • All ORU losses were to Top 16 teams on the road (Houston 1, Utah State 15, St. Mary's 16).
  • Second in the Summit is.... St. Thomas at 130!  Solid 5-3 record so far against a decent (89th ranked) SOS.
  • SDSU at 138 is the only Summit League team with a Quadrant 1 win (at #57 Boise State).  The league as a whole is 1-23 against Q1 (although Western and Denver have yet to play one).
  • Surprisingly, only ONE Summit team is sub-300, which says a lot about the overall growth of the league, especially since there are now 363 D-1 schools.  Also surprising, that one bottom-feeder team is NDSU at 333.
  • Half of the league (five teams) are bunched in a tight range from 238-267.  Anything besides a 10-0 home-road sweep of those teams would be devastating for ORU's NET ranking, and league contender status.
  • Three of the worst four teams have "Dakota" in their name.  How the mighty have fallen...
  • Although not shown on the pdf, ORUWBB comes in at a NET 226, with the 29th toughest SOS so far, the most difficult in the Summit League.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for sharing this data. I can't figure out how ORU's SOS is #1. For example, ORU's Avg Opp Net Rank is 11, and South Dakota State's Avg App Net Rank is 10. So, why is South Dakota State's SOS #10, while ORU's is #1?

1 hour ago, Dave Connor said:

Thank you for sharing this data. I can't figure out how ORU's SOS is #1. For example, ORU's Avg Opp Net Rank is 11, and South Dakota State's Avg App Net Rank is 10. So, why is South Dakota State's SOS #10, while ORU's is #1?

Great question, Dave.  And, while I don't have an answer for you - I do have a plausible explanation.  While ORU has played all five of their D1 games on the road, SDSU is 1-4 on the road (the lone win against Boise State), 2-1 on a neutral court (if you call the one game in Sioux Falls "neutral"), and 0-1 at home.  I believe the SOS (strength of schedule) takes home/neutral/away into consideration, which would cause ORU's SOS to be considered more difficult, even though the average NET is lower.

All of this "#1 SOS" talk should come to a crashing halt next weekend, after we play #277 Central Arkansas at home.

2 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

3.  And, ORU's SOS is #1 (here we go again - strike up the social media campaign!). 

I don’t think a lot of people on message boards understand that the social media put out by coaches and school accounts are 95% for recruits and 5% for fans. Graphics and Edits and social media posts are done to sell the program… 15-18 year old kids aren’t going to say “wait, does this not include 4 non D1 games?” They are going to see a very large “#1” next to the ORU logo and think “if I go to ORU, I’m going to be put on a national stage against top competition.”

The 3-4 messageboard fans that take issue with this don’t fully grasp that recruiting is a 24/7/365 job across multiple layers of platforms and medium. And ORU would be missing an opportunity to promote something that is worth mentioning to the recruits that follow those accounts. 

But yeah, it probably makes more sense to wait until the end of the season to promote the #223rd ranked SOS… that makes way more sense!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

NCAA Statistics.pdf 16.31 kB · 6 downloads

The first NET rankings of the season were released this morning.  I've attached a pdf of the Summit League.  Some interesting observations (IMHO):

• ORU ranked #70, much higher than the KenPomeroy ranking.  In this analysis, it only reports on D-1 games, so lists ORU's record as 2-3.  And, ORU's SOS is #1 (here we go again - strike up the social media campaign!).  At least in this case, the SOS ranking aligns with the W-L record.
  • All ORU losses were to Top 16 teams on the road (Houston 1, Utah State 15, St. Mary's 16).
  • Second in the Summit is.... St. Thomas at 130!  Solid 5-3 record so far against a decent (89th ranked) SOS.
  • SDSU at 138 is the only Summit League team with a Quadrant 1 win (at #57 Boise State).  The league as a whole is 1-23 against Q1 (although Western and Denver have yet to play one).
  • Surprisingly, only ONE Summit team is sub-300, which says a lot about the overall growth of the league, especially since there are now 363 D-1 schools.  Also surprising, that one bottom-feeder team is NDSU at 333.
  • Half of the league (five teams) are bunched in a tight range from 238-267.  Anything besides a 10-0 home-road sweep of those teams would be devastating for ORU's NET ranking, and league contender status.
  • Three of the worst four teams have "Dakota" in their name.  How the mighty have fallen...
  • Although not shown on the pdf, ORUWBB comes in at a NET 226, with the 29th toughest SOS so far, the most difficult in the Summit League.

Great analysis!

1 hour ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

I don’t think a lot of people on message boards understand that the social media put out by coaches and school accounts are 95% for recruits and 5% for fans. Graphics and Edits and social media posts are done to sell the program… 15-18 year old kids aren’t going to say “wait, does this not include 4 non D1 games?” They are going to see a very large “#1” next to the ORU logo and think “if I go to ORU, I’m going to be put on a national stage against top competition.”

The 3-4 messageboard fans that take issue with this don’t fully grasp that recruiting is a 24/7/365 job across multiple layers of platforms and medium. And ORU would be missing an opportunity to promote something that is worth mentioning to the recruits that follow those accounts. 

But yeah, it probably makes more sense to wait until the end of the season to promote the #223rd ranked SOS… that makes way more sense!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Yeah, you're probably right - ORU Basketball should just misrepresent facts in the interest of self-promotion.

I mean, it's not like ORU as an institution professes to aim for any kind of higher standard - oh, wait...  #smh #BeBetter

P.S.  In the midst of all your condescension, don't think for a minute that almost everyone on here knows exactly for whom those social media messages are intended - ever consider that therein lies the rub?  

Frustrated Larry Bird GIF by SB Nation

• Upvote 1

Back to more meaningful discourse:  NET rankings this early in the season are kinda goofy.

Sam Houston State is in the top ten nationally (7).  Kent State at #24 is ranked above #25 Arkansas.  Undefeated Texas, rated No. 1 in some polls, is only No. 12 (below West Virginia and their 6-2 record).

ORU at No. 70 is ranked above the likes of St. John's, Oklahoma State, Wisconsin, TCU, Michigan State, Oregon, LSU, Michigan, etc. - anyone think ORU would be favored by Vegas if they played any of those teams, even in the Mabee Center?

Let's give the NET rankings a little time to sizzle on the grill before serving them up for dinner; otherwise, it's just raw meat...

32 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

ORU Basketball should just misrepresent facts in the interest of self-promotion

Welcome to the world of college recruiting…. I don’t take any issue with it. And those that do should have a bigger problem with the source of your “misrepresented facts” than with the outlet that is promoting them.

Weren’t you one of those promoting those “misrepresented facts” to the Reaching the Summit tweet talking about strength of schedule? Do you take issue with yourself?

• Upvote 1

Frankly, I thought I was very judicious in just putting it out there for discussion, one way or the other (as was the tone of the initial tweet).

See, that's what "How's this for STARTERS" means - in other words, "What do you (literally) make of this?"

As opposed to "HOW 'BOUT THEM APPLES, LOSERS!!  WE'RE NUMBER ONE - SUCK ON THAT GOLDEN STANDARD, BABY!!!"

Can you perceive the subtle difference? 

Mad Men Wink GIF

ATTENTION ALL MESSAGE BOARD GEEKS & OLDS - THE FOLLOWING FRESH TAKE FOR THE YOUNGS IS NOT INTENDED FOR YOU:

#CARE(ABOUTINTEGRITY)

(Truth be told, it IS a cool-looking graphic - it's just not going to age well over the next few weeks...)

11 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

See, that's what "How's this for STARTERS" means - in other words, "What do you (literally) make of this?"

As opposed to "HOW 'BOUT THEM APPLES, LOSERS!!  WE'RE NUMBER ONE - SUCK ON THAT GOLDEN STANDARD, BABY!!!"

😂😂 Your “translation” of each message seems a little bit… different!

I guess youre right…. All of these tweets are misrepresenting facts in the interest of self-promotion… how dare they!

15 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

ATTENTION ALL MESSAGE BOARD GEEKS & OLDS - THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS NOT INTENDED FOR YOU:

#CAREABOUTINTEGRITY

Actually I said that 5% of the social media graphics are for the message board geeks and olds. Get it right!! 😂

5 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

OT is right. Integrity is important. Well, at ORU, it should be. 

100% agree - I guess my question is where is the breach of integrity? 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

😂😂 Your “translation” of each message seems a little bit… different!

I guess youre right…. All of these tweets are misrepresenting facts in the interest of self-promotion… how dare they!

OK, so I guess it's all about keeping up with the Joneses, even if they decide to walk off a cliff (also, three of those tweets are about rankings in the polls, which is an entirely different animal).

I'll just remember the next time I read or hear Dr. Wilson quoting scripture re: ORU "being in the world, but not of the world", I need to remind myself "...except when it comes to ORU Basketball's social media content".   #BeBetter #CareAboutIntegrity 

4 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

OK, so I guess it's all about keeping up with the Joneses, even if they decide to walk off a cliff.

Wait…. So you actually DO have an issue with all of those programs tweeting out those graphics?

This is sports, people! Rankings and statistics can’t be publicized or celebrated?? What’s next? No one should tweet the final score of games? 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Wait…. So you actually DO have an issue with all of those programs tweeting out those graphics?

This is sports, people! Rankings and statistics can’t be publicized or celebrated?? What’s next? No one should tweet the final score of games? 

No, I think they all have valid cases to crow about their rankings.  

I just think ORU looks a little silly trying to make hay out of what is basically a statistical anomaly at this point in the season.  No one in their right mind thinks ORU has played a tougher schedule than Gonzaga, or Duke, or Michigan State, or Kentucky.

It's like I stated in an earlier post:  it's tantamount to tweeting "LOOK AT HOW GOOD WE ARE!!" with only a halftime lead as an underdog:  don't you look stupid if you end up losing by twenty? 

(it's a rhetorical question; I'm guessing you might think you should get some mileage out of the halftime lead while you can; which makes sense I suppose if you're more interested in winning the battle than winning the war).

16 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

100% agree - I guess my question is where is the breach of integrity? 

If you want to say we have the #1 D-1 schedule and our record is 2-3, then ok. 

But, to say we are 6-3 against the toughest schedule is disingenuous...at best.