Ozark Christian vs. ORU

theeagleman5

Timeout:  21-11, 9:54 1st half

POSITIVE TAKE:  if he wants, Patrick could have 20 rebounds. 7 already, midway through the first half. 

• Upvote 2

Timeout:  26-16, 7:52 1st half

POSITIVE TAKE:  It’s gratifying to see that, by all appearances, the reserve post player for the Ambassadors adheres to my unique training regimen.

• Haha 2

serious question....what are we going on, year 3 or 4?  how do the season ticket holders / regular attenders stand the PA guy?  just absolutely brutal.  

not trying to bag on the guy; but what genius in the athletic dept hears that game after game and says "exactly what we want"

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 5

My phone is going dead, so (mercifully) here are my remaining POSITIVE TAKES for the game:

16:00 timeout:  the Pawnee Nation tribal dancers at halftime were awesome. 
12:00 timeout:  Patrick would have had 20 rebounds if I hadn’t jinxed him; not his fault. 
8:00 timeout:  If it was ever decided to give Demari Williams more playing time, I don’t think many folks would complain. 
4:00 timeout:  only four minutes left!!

Final:  from here on out, every home game should be very competitive and entertaining. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Phipps lighting it up with 30....this guy needs more court time...😉

• Haha 6

We survived the exhibition games and had no injuries!  Shout out to Nate with a double double and Cam scores his first points as a Golden Eagle!

1 hour ago, ORUalum said:

serious question....what are we going on, year 3 or 4?  how do the season ticket holders / regular attenders stand the PA guy?  just absolutely brutal.  

not trying to bag on the guy; but what genius in the athletic dept hears that game after game and says "exactly what we want"

The PA guy is not great, but what bothers me the most (and I say it every year) is how loud it is.  I can't have a conversation with the person next to me without yelling in their ear.

Glad I could get my complaint out for the year.  🙂

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, MrsSmith said:

The PA guy is not great, but what bothers me the most (and I say it every year) is how loud it is.  I can't have a conversation with the person next to me without yelling in their ear.

Glad I could get my complaint out for the year.  🙂

They upped the volume tonight considerably, I thought. Louder than even usual. Didn't see you guys tonight, MrsSmith - were you there? 

• Upvote 1

Completely random question, but in looking at box score from tonight and the ORU roster, is Elijah Lawrence still on the team? Maybe hurt and I missed it along the way. Certainly would’ve played in this game I would think. 

ORU dominates the second half 62-26.  Even tonight the Eagles struggled in the first half and came alive in the second.  It has been a theme all season: average trailing by 3 in the first half (-24 points for the season) and then reverse that trend in the second (plus 91 points or a little over 11 points per game).  Strange that it seems to take ORU the first 20 minutes to get their rhythm going every night.  Hope that trend does not continue.

10 hours ago, tmh8286 said:

They upped the volume tonight considerably, I thought. Louder than even usual. Didn't see you guys tonight, MrsSmith - were you there? 

yes, same seats.  we stayed to the very end.  🙂

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Old Titan said:

My phone is going dead, so (mercifully) here are my remaining POSITIVE TAKES for the game:

16:00 timeout:  the Pawnee Nation tribal dancers at halftime were awesome. 
12:00 timeout:  Patrick would have had 20 rebounds if I hadn’t jinxed him; not his fault. 
8:00 timeout:  If it was ever decided to give Demari Williams more playing time, I don’t think many folks would complain. 
4:00 timeout:  only four minutes left!!

Final:  from here on out, every home game should be very competitive and entertaining. 

I really don't understand Williams not getting any minutes at all. You are seeing him live. Is he struggling on his shot or something else? 

I have to give props to the Ambassadors. They did not quit. They made some plays that I found very impressive. I liked the way they passed the ball. In the first half, I'd say they gave our guys something to think about. They hit some nice 3s. It was their size more than anything that kept them from really challenging us. I don't enjoy games where one team is crushing the other team by 20 or 30 points throughout, so I start cheering for the underdog. We all know what it feels like when our team is losing badly and the other team just keeps pouring in the points.

Saturday is coming. We'll see how we do against our crosstown rivals! :-0

42 minutes ago, darrenj said:

I really don't understand Williams not getting any minutes at all. You are seeing him live. Is he struggling on his shot or something else? 

He's pretty raw, but he's really athletic and has great instincts, so he recovers quickly and effectively when out of position.  Just plays a lot like a freshman with talent, which he basically is.  Very similar results as Cam Amboree when they're on the floor; one minute it's "Oh, wow!" the next it's "Oh, cr@p!"

What's puzzling is that when Coach Mills does mention Williams, as he did in last night's postgame interview, he alludes to defensive deficiencies affecting his playing time.  That makes no sense:  Williams came here with a reputation for being a good defender, and I've seen little to dissuade me from that assessment.  It's his offense that seems a little underdeveloped; but he sure is effective on the boards and at the rim, where ORU is sorely lacking.

And I will add this:  he doesn't have great body language on the court.  He plays with an aloof attitude, bordering on disinterest, and on one occassion when Trey Phipps started to scold him after a play, he literally brushed him off and strode down court.  It could be that his attitude is influencing his favor with the coaches, but that's just a theory.

• Upvote 2

ORU is very experienced and 9 times out of 10, coaches will put the experienced players in before the red shirt freshmen.  Max and K.O. were elite freshmen but the Eagles have not had many of those in the past 10 years.  Mills may play Williams 2 or 3 minutes a game but beyond that it would be very surprising.  Just hope Williams can trust the process and not jump ship to transfer in the future.