Hold The Bacon(e)

Old Titan

• Old Titan changed the title to Hold The Bacon(e)

Bacone basketball is apparently in some sort of disarray:  they've already forfeited a couple of road games, and Wednesday night they fell to Northeastern State in Tahlequah by a score of 128-42, with no starter for the RiverHawks playing more than 21 minutes...

More recent evidence:  a loss Saturday night at Colorado State-Pueblo by a score of 103-35.

The only question is whether Ozark Christian will offer up much more resistance...the Ambassadors are 2-9 vs NAIA opposition, including a 30-point loss to John Brown.

Scheduling these games is a joke and an insult.

Enough of the NAIA and D-2 games, unless you want to do one or two of them at the beginning season as an EXHIBITION. 

The fact that we have 4 of them (as regular season games) is completely ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Ozark Christian?? Geez....this is embarrassing....sure hope they make it a free hot dog and popcorn night....😳

If they want to scrimmage these guys, they should just keep it behind closed doors. NO need to play them at Mabee Center in front of fans.

• Upvote 1

Just checked out their website, this should be a blow out from the get-go, as in emptying the bench about 5 minutes into the game.  Serious mismatch is an understatement.  And yes, this should be a scrimmage behind closed doors, just like Bacone should have been the same.  As stated above, no more than 2 NAIA/D-II teams and they are exhibitions.  Total embarrassment to be playing these guys regular season.

These games aren’t a chance to improve or work on anything new.

If anything they only hurt because the level of competition drops so drastically players whiplash between NAIA and D1 opponents.

Really zero reason to be playing four of these games unless you’re afraid of losing to actual competition.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, oruvoice said:

Enough of the NAIA and D-2 games, unless you want to do one or two of them at the beginning season as an EXHIBITION. 

The fact that we have 4 of them (as regular season games) is completely ridiculous. 

Easier said than done. From what I’ve been told, in August the guys in blue had a fraction of the schedule completed. They were either dropped from games or people flat out didn’t want to play them. And at that point, everyone else in the country’s schedule is pretty much finished. Plus when you have no money to bring in teams, it’s that much harder. There’s so much that goes into putting together a schedule - region, budget, availability, etc. 

It’s pretty easy to sit at the laptop or type in your phone “it’s an insult.” What are you to do if no one will play you? Blow your budget trying to play teams on the East or west coast? 

I was shocked when I found out how little the schedule was done leading up to the season. That usually doesn’t happen. But at the end of the day, you gotta put together what you can. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I heard the exact same thing. I wonder if we tried to get into any preseason tournaments? Like someone mentioned earlier a great opportunity to play quality teams at a neutral site.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mr_TwoFive said:

Easier said than done. From what I’ve been told, in August the guys in blue had a fraction of the schedule completed. They were either dropped from games or people flat out didn’t want to play them. And at that point, everyone else in the country’s schedule is pretty much finished. Plus when you have no money to bring in teams, it’s that much harder. There’s so much that goes into putting together a schedule - region, budget, availability, etc. 

It’s pretty easy to sit at the laptop or type in your phone “it’s an insult.” What are you to do if no one will play you? Blow your budget trying to play teams on the East or west coast? 

I was shocked when I found out how little the schedule was done leading up to the season. That usually doesn’t happen. But at the end of the day, you gotta put together what you can. 

Well, you've been told wrong. The schedule should be all but complete in August, if you are working hard. And, to say that people don't want to play ORU is also just plain lazy. No other D1 team in America has 4 regular season games against NAIA/D2 opponents. You actually believe that out of the 358 D1 basketball programs, there were 357 that could manage a schedule, but we are the one school that nobody would play? Please. 

No money? That's even more laughable. Guess you haven't been on campus in a decade or so. All sorts of new buildings and improvements going on. Not to mention the renovations at Mabee Center and the new Mike Carter center. And, I guess you also haven't noticed AD Buttigieg vociferously touting his fund-raising prowess at any and every turn? But, we have no money? LOL! 

And yes, I am acutely aware of what it takes to put together a schedule. I've been in and around college athletics my entire life, due to my family, friends, and working in them myself. Other than OT, I can assure you that I know more about to inner workings of college athletics and scheduling, than most. 

But sure, go on believing what you are told and that we are the one team out of 358 that can't put together a schedule. And, that we have no money. And, that we are in a tough region to find opponents. 

Look...I've made my opinions very clear about my alma mater. While I love ORU, I am not a fan of the current athletic leadership, for a myriad of reasons. Some completely justified and some out of pettiness, I will admit. But, to say that we just can't put together a respectable schedule is a complete joke. 

(Edited)Just did a quick search and there are 49 other D-1 basketball programs in Texas, Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, & Louisiana. Not to mention another 40+ within reasonable driving distances in other states in the central US. 

But sure..."region" and "money". 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

December can not get here quick enough.

In contrast to this road-feast-home-famine November schedule, December in the Mabee Center is going to be a treat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

December can not get here quick enough.

In contrast to this road-feast-home-famine November schedule, December in the Mabee Center is going to be a treat.

Really, outside of the 4 throw-away, non-D1 games (which I am disappointed in as well), it's a great schedule. December is the best month of basketball at the Mabee I can remember. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah.....hard to believe that ORU is cash poor.....they claim to have raised a ton of $$$ over the past 2 years and one would think that the administration would want a home basketball schedule that they can be proud of.....kind of head scratching......and TheEagleman is really disappointed that we aren't playing Bacone......😜

• Haha 1

In my experience, successful non-conference scheduling came down to one thing:  personal connections of the coaching staff, particularly the assistant coach(es) in charge of it.

Not trying to throw anyone under the bus, but there it is...

I Dont Care Whatever GIF

The Pope has spoken....and I love it!...Image result for Pope

On 11/21/2022 at 3:01 PM, oruvoice said:

Why is it they don't play in these numerous Thanksgiving tournaments like on the past?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jmg1984 said:

Why is it they don't play in these numerous Thanksgiving tournaments like on the past?

Beats me. Maybe someone can ask the coach in the next postgame interview or coaches show? 

Just hoping we get an honest response and not "nobody wants to play the ORU juggernaut", "money" and/or "region".