Ken Pomeroy ("KenPom") Rankings 2022-23

Old Titan

You can keep your pumpkin spice lattes; for college basketball nerds the highlight of October is when Ken Pomeroy drops his analytical rankings for the upcoming season.

One must wonder again whether these numbers assume Elijah Lufile is on the roster...

KenPom Summit 22-23.jpeg

KenPom ORU 22-23.jpeg

That would be a tough loss to Tulsa by one point.  Thinking the good guys should win that one!  Would take 22-8 in a heartbeat!

The fact that KenPom has us at #248 on Defense is why I think the 17-1 conf. record prediction and the 22-8 overall record prediction is probably a little too ambitious!!

If you look at the game-by-game predictions, it only shows us allowing 80 or more points in 3 games!! Talk about expecting a Miracle!! I'm hoping for defensive improvement this year, but if we only allow 80 or more points in 3 games that would definitely be a Miracle!! 

• Like 1

Past performance is no guarantee of future results… It is interesting to see the prospective stats, but in most cases you have different players playing the same system. Let’s review this prediction versus actual results during/after the season. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth:  ORU's Ken Pomeroy ranking continues to creep up a little each day; currently sits at 103.

It helps when the three teams who have beaten you have a combined record of 15-0, with one of them (Houston) ranked No. 2 in all Division 1.

Here's a comforting thought for those who place value on these analytical rankings:  ORU is actually favored in EVERY SINGLE GAME the rest of the season except the finale at South Dakota State, and even that is projected as a virtual toss-up in Brookings.

Perhaps by 2023 the forecast will look a little sunnier if ORU is sitting at something like 13-3 or 12-4.

Untitled 4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

And yet I watched Kent State take Houston to the wire today eventually losing 49-44.  Sorry but I don't buy all the "stats" and so-called "rankings".  Prove to me we can actually beat D-I teams on the court and then I will start to believe.  

1 hour ago, ORU82 said:

And yet I watched Kent State take Houston to the wire today eventually losing 49-44.  Sorry but I don't buy all the "stats" and so-called "rankings".  Prove to me we can actually beat D-I teams on the court and then I will start to believe.  

You don’t buy all the “stats” and so-called “rankings”? I’m confused…. 

• Haha 1

ORU struggling against Rogers State shows how flawed KenPom stats are.

18 hours ago, ORU82 said:

Houston had problems with the flu

23 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

I find this tweet disappointing.  It's not all "fake news", because it does quote the source accurately - Ken Pomeroy does rank ORU's NCSOS as #1.  But, it is severely lacking in context.  Ken Pomeroy only ranks the NCSOS with consideration of games against D1 opponents.  While it is accurate that the four D-1 games have been against some very strong opponents, we also know that the non-conference schedule has also included three Non-D1 opponents (and after Tuesday night, four).  To use the KenPom data to then make the statement that ORU has played the toughest strength of schedule in the country is, at best, a bit disingenuous. 

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

I find this tweet disappointing.  It's not all "fake news", because it does quote the source accurately - Ken Pomeroy does rank ORU's NCSOS as #1.  But, it is severely lacking in context.  Ken Pomeroy only ranks the NCSOS with consideration of games against D1 opponents.  While it is accurate that the four D-1 games have been against some very strong opponents, we also know that the non-conference schedule has also included three Non-D1 opponents (and after Tuesday night, four).  To use the KenPom data to then make the statement that ORU has played the toughest strength of schedule in the country is, at best, a bit disingenuous. 

Sadly, it is just the sort of statistic that Coach Mills loves to collect and subsequently mention in interviews, such as the hum-dinger from last week stating #20 for ORU was one of the "50 top shooters in the country last year" (currently cruising along at 16% from the field and 15% from three in 15 minutes per game this season). 

He actually predicted last week on his coach's show that ORU would/could claim the "toughest schedule" title once they played Utah State; I'm guessing some of those P5 teams that played in Maui or The Bahamas this past week might beg to differ.

Benjamin Disraeli was right, and his famous distinction certainly does get blurry in these instances between lies, damn lies, and statistics.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Correct. If you are going to use that stat, then don't say we are 5-3 after Ozark Christian, when against D1 we are 1-3. 

It's like saying that I'm dating the prettiest girl in the room, when she's the only girl in the room. 

• Upvote 1

I rest my case on the hyperbole accusation:  friends, it's only November 28; half of the non-conference schedules for everyone in the country haven't even been played yet:

A comparison would be sprinting out to an early 10-point lead on Houston or Texas, then declaring on Twitter before halftime that ORU should immediately be ranked No. 1.

The game ain't over, folks - let's see how ALL the non-conference schedules compare on January 1st, shall we?

• Upvote 2