Morality question for the board

oruvoice

Hypothetically, if you found out that a high ranking athletic department official, had blatantly lied on his resume, would you want that person removed from his position or would you just say it's water under the bridge and not worry about it? 

I'm curious as to thoughts on this question. Hypothetically. 

When was the alleged lie discovered? How long had the person been employed? Is the person sorry for what he allegedly did, or just sorry for being caught?

What University guidelines apply to this serious allegation? Are athletic department officials bound by the Honor Code? If so, who makes the final call on this person's continued employment/suspension/probation/termination?  Will mercy or judgement be the deciding factor?

There is not enough information here as attested to by 74Titan's questions. I can't help but think that there is hearsay in this.  Who looks at someone's resume once they are hired?  

But we are not talking rocket science here.  I'd say move on.

22 hours ago, 74Titan said:

When was the alleged lie discovered? How long had the person been employed? Is the person sorry for what he allegedly did, or just sorry for being caught?

What University guidelines apply to this serious allegation? Are athletic department officials bound by the Honor Code? If so, who makes the final call on this person's continued employment/suspension/probation/termination?  Will mercy or judgement be the deciding factor?

Hypothetically...the lie was discovered right after he was hired, by co-workers. I don't think the person is sorry for doing it or being caught, as his co-workers and superior let it go.

Not sure of the University guidelines. Not sure if athletic department officials are bound by the honor code. The final call would have to be made by a superior, so University President perhaps?

Not sure about mercy/judgement. Just curious about other opinions. 

Of course, this a purely hypothetical situation.

I think it depends on the "lie"...Was it a subjective exageration or an outright lie?  Let's say someone had $9.7M in sales and they simply round up and call it $10M on their resume.  Or, did they claim to be VP of Sales when their title was actually Field Sales Manager?  Big difference.

Did they claim they recruited 20 NBA draft picks when it was actually only 19 and they were co-recruited by other coaches in a team effort...or did they lie about having a 3.9 grade point average when in reality had only a 2.5...

There's a lot of gray in the scenario, voice.  To me, that would determine how this is handled.

Rob

17 hours ago, ORob1 said:

I think it depends on the "lie"...Was it a subjective exageration or an outright lie?  Let's say someone had $9.7M in sales and they simply round up and call it $10M on their resume.  Or, did they claim to be VP of Sales when their title was actually Field Sales Manager?  Big difference.

Did they claim they recruited 20 NBA draft picks when it was actually only 19 and they were co-recruited by other coaches in a team effort...or did they lie about having a 3.9 grade point average when in reality had only a 2.5...

There's a lot of gray in the scenario, voice.  To me, that would determine how this is hanadled.

Rob

I hear you. Always some "gray".

TheEagleman understands your pain, Voice....used to feel that way about my first wife....my advice to you is to let it go...lay it all down and let the Lord deal with your "mythical person"....and you will feel a lot better....because like my ex wife....they probably just don't care how you feel....😉

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 10/14/2022 at 9:11 PM, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman understands your pain, Voice....used to feel that way about my first wife....my advice to you is to let it go...lay it all down and let the Lord deal with your "mythical person"....and you will feel a lot better....because like my ex wife....they probably just don't care how you feel....😉

LOL! I'm over it. I'm actually glad to be out of that cesspool. 

Just heard two stories (very recently, where info was shared with me unsolicited) from impeccable sources and thought I'd rattle the cage. I won't start a thread on the other situation out of respect for the person who suffered the brunt of the garbage, as he served at ORU longer than my 25+ years and was asked to keep it off the board. Hypothetically. 

• Upvote 1