Team on guard's mind - TW (11-4-2005)

ORUTerry

Team on guard's mind

By LYNN JACOBSEN World Sports Writer

11/4/2005

Leah Cannon said she cares about ORU's success more than hers.

Leah Cannon admits she may have to become the antithesis of her character the last three years for Oral Roberts to be successful this season.

But the 5-foot-5 senior is OK with that if it means helping the Golden Eagles return to the NCAA Tournament.

"It's my last go around. I've got to get it done," she said. "Being a senior, I have to step up in a leadership role, both on and off the court. Directing the offense and being an emotional and vocal leader are things I want to work on this year."

Cannon has always been the floor general in ORU's offense since her arrival in 2002-03. But she admits she has balked at being the vocal leader coach Jerry Finkbeiner says the team needs.

"It's not easy for me. I'm not a vocal person," she said.

With 492 career assists, she needs just two more to become the career leader in the Mid-Continent Conference and only 27 to set the record at ORU.

But Cannon isn't into personal goals.

"It's good to have goals, and I'm sure everyone on our team has them, but the bigger picture is that we want to be successful as a team and achieve our goals in that respect," she said. "Becoming

the assists leader is nice, but I would prefer to go win in the NCAA Tournament."

This year though, Cannon is being pushed by a pair of true freshmen in Rachel Watman, also a native of Australia, and Marianna Camargo, of Brazil, and senior Tiffany Johnson, a transfer from NEO.

Add junior college transfer Rachel Balzer to the mix and there's a battle brewing for the point guard position.

"The strength of our team is that we have so much depth," Cannon said. "We've never had four point guards in the same year since I've been here. That only makes us stronger as a team.

"Rachel (Watman) and Marianna are going to have great careers here, and Tif really stepped up last season and is a force as well."

It could be a double-edged sword. Cannon could be such a mentor to her teammates that she cuts into her playing time.

"I'm serious in offering any advice I can to the others," she said. "That's how this team will improve."

Finkbeiner appreciates Cannon's desire to mentor, but says he also has seen a renewed fire in his point guard.

"I think she sees the athleticism of the new players, which has elevated her sights on training," Finkbeiner said.

Cannon agreed.

"I'm not threatened," she said. "But I do feel pushed every day in practice."

Cannon also is capable of playing shooting guard. She led the Mid-Con last season in 3-point field goal percentage at .458.

"Leah is the most unselfish player on our team," Finkbeiner said. "I keep egging her on to shoot when she has the open 3-pointer.

"She should break the league assists record in her first game. Her sophomore year was her breakout season. If she has a repeat of that year, we can be real good."

Cannon knows she needs to shoot more.

"That's something I've struggled with in my career here, that I don't take enough shots," Cannon said.

Plagued by injuries in 2004-05, Cannon is healthy and in similar form of her sophomore season when she ranked among the nation's assist leaders with 231.

"She's ahead of where she was at this time last year," Finkbeiner said.

Teammate Katie Langford is battling stress fractures in her foot, but might be cleared to play as early as next week.

ORU struggled in its new offense in the exhibition opener against Arkansas Tech.

"It's going to take time to work our kinks and understand what our roles are," Cannon said. "We're in an up-tempo offense and it may take a while to get used to it."

Time isn't a luxury if the ORU hopes to draw national exposure from its WNIT first-round game at New Mexico on Nov. 11.